Bolt on Neck as never seen before (I think)

Timbuck

Reaction score
Last edited:
That is ridiculously awesome!

That is really cool. My only concern from straying from a traditional joinery system is that if a repairman in the future needs to do a neck reset then he most likely will be unable to disassemble it because he doesn't know how its assembled. At least with a glued or bolted on neck, there is a reasonable chance of getting the neck off the body with minimal damage. I think the traditional neck joints clearly do their job but there are ways of making them easier to execute.

Andrew

Interesting concept. I'm not sure what the advantage would be though. It's always best to keep things as simple as possible.

As far as future repairs go, I think it would be a good idea to install a tiny micro chip in the uke somewhere that when scanned, will give you all the information you'd need on the instrument including woods used, type of neck joint connection, the kind of finish, etc. You could even include a short video. That would be invaluable information the a repair person. Ooops, I've just complicated things, haven't I?

Interesting concept. I'm not sure what the advantage would be though. It's always best to keep things as simple as possible.

As far as future repairs go, I think it would be a good idea to install a tiny micro chip in the uke somewhere that when scanned, will give you all the information you'd need on the instrument including woods used, type of neck joint connection, the kind of finish, etc. You could even include a short video. That would be invaluable information the a repair person. Ooops, I've just complicated things, haven't I?

I can't remember who does it, but I remember a company saying that they put an ID chip similar to whats used for pets that can be scanned and the instrument identified in the event of a theft. If you have a database with all the pertinent information then it'd be easy to reference.

Holy crap! You can use the magnetic "wrench to tighten or loosen without leaving any marks or outward screw heads etc. Wouldn't that make it easier to do neck adjustments if needed? I don't see why you couldn't use this instead of using open bolts or having to glue and clamp. This may call for some experimentation to see how tight it gets...but, I like the idea!

Top Bottom