Using water decals on a Fluke

freackykit

Reaction score
Hi,

I've found a site that sells paper for your inkjet printer that allows you to make water decals, as I'm researching how to decorate my fluke which will be arriving in a couple of days...

http://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk/products-Inkjet-water-slide-decal-paper_151.htm

I wonder if anyone has had experience of water decals here and coulld advise me as to there durability before I get carried away completely!!! :)

Thanks

Chris

I'd be really careful about putting water directly on your fluke. The pine that they use will react badly to water and could raise the grain or warp a lot...think about what happens with pine plywood when it gets wet! I don't think the wood is water sealed from the factory, and I'd contact them before you do the work just to be safe!

Tanks to both of you...Cheers Ukeffect,I will definately take care as there are loads of options which don't involve ruining the uke.

Thanks Matt for the links...off to check them now but as I've said will be very cautious now and may ditch the water decals altogether ,

Cheeres,

Chris

Good quality waterslide decals dry very clear. The surface of the Fluke soundboard has a waterproof finish and the negligible amount of water that actual makes contact on the soundboard will be wiped off or evaporate before it has any chance to do any damage. Water is used to remove the decal from the paper backing and not applied to the soundboard. Waterslide decals are very thin so best if after drying they are clear-coated to protect them as well as make them waterproof. I have applied waterslide decals to several wood projects and they are easy to work with and you can get very creative with original one of a kind designs. I was going to waterslide a photo of a real pineapple on the soundboard of my FLEA but got lazy and used the Japanese inlay stickers instead.

Good quality waterslide decals dry very clear.... I was going to waterslide a photo of a real pineapple on the soundboard of my FLEA but got lazy and used the Japanese inlay stickers instead.

Thanks for this.

Does this mean you haven't used water decals on any fluke/flea or just not this particular one mentioned? I'm only asking because because I assume solid tops would be more durable than laminate tops.

The Japanese inlay stickers are a good alternative and Iwill either use these or some readily available vinyl car decals if I have to. This would sacrifice the creativity you can obtain from the DIY water decals but may be a safer option.

Since I am not a craftsman I won't be posting in the Lutherer's Lounge that often but I am interested in what you consider a 'good quality water decal'?

Thanks for taking an interest,

Chris :)

Last edited:
No I haven't applied waterslides to my FLEA but not out of fear of damaging it but just plain laziness. Here's some pictures of what I've done.

Waterslide on a recent fish spear I made
P1010045.jpg

Vinyl Graphics on my FLUKE
P1010208.jpg

Japanese inlay stickers on my FLEA
P1010044.jpg

http://www.inlaysticker.com/

I got my waterslide decal paper from an eBay seller last year, have to see if I can find seller, and brand bought.

THanks for the above...it clearly illustrates what different effects you can get using inlays. Vinyl Graphivs and waterslides. I must sya you have used them to good effect.

There is no need to trouble yourself searching e-bay and you have been more then helpful with your comments and illustrations.

I'll post on UU (not on Lutherer's Lounge) but definately pm you with the link when I have illustrated my fluke,

Thanks for all your help and time

Chris :)

Thanks very much..Interesting for us all to see these. Sorry for late reply but the fluke arrived today so just getting aquainted with a new friend,

(I'm sure you guys know how it is).

First impressions while the strings are settling...Nice punchy loud tone even with the hilo shipped strings which ain't my favourite but back to the thread discussion ain't they small at the side of normal tenors? Will have to redesign cos my previous ideas were a bit big lol!

Thanks Ahnko...and as I said you have taken enough trouble and need not have done this.

Good to know we have a tequila expert around...handy to know!

I think my link is to something similar so will be ordering.

As I said below the fluke arrived today so spent a lot of time with it, and they are small compared to the normal tenor so I may have to redesign any initial ideas.

Thanks and I'll let you know,

Regards,

Chris

Top Bottom