Fingernails

captbaritone

Reaction score
I know classical guitarists obsess over their fingernails, and yet I have yet to see one conversation on here about them. I have seen a few really advanced players on Youtube with long nails on their right hand, and I have found that having some nail is really good even for strumming.

Do you manicure your nails especially for uke playing? If so, how and why?

There have been several threads here about fingernails, but alas, the search function is wonky.

Go to Google and click on the "Advanced Search" link next to the search box. Use that, and put ukuleleunderground.com (add /forum if you want) in the "Search within a site or domain" box.

Jason

There was a pretty good discussion of this topic a couple of weeks ago. I have started to grow out my nails on the strumming hand. Generally, I am repulsed by having long fingernails and tend to chew them to the nub. However, I've managed and it is easier to pick with them. They become very sharp edged though, and I find myself picking at the flesh of my other hand much more and with more savage effect. My wife hates it when she sees my filing them. That is either a bonus or a drawback, depending on your viewpoint! ;)

I started the thread in the second link listed above. I was going to post a link but I got interrupted and didn't have time. I just came back to post a link and see it's already been done.

The tip in that thread about nail shape (with the photo) was very helpful. It seems they only need to be slightly past the end of the fingertips, but that straight edge is the key. It allows the nail to slide easily across the string while giving a good plink for tone and volume at the end. I could tell a difference right away.

Before when they were too short, the sound was quiet and muffled. When they were longer I kept thinking that the string would hang under the nail. I don't think I'll have these problems now. I may still have to experiment with it, but I feel that put me on the right track.

Jason

Before when they were too short, the sound was quiet and muffled.

I found this to be true for me as well. Strumming sounds much better/louder with some nails hitting the strings. I also found that having longer nails makes it easier to tremolo. I try to keep them "rounder" as opposed to flattening them off or making them "pointy". I keep my left hand nails very short though.

max of 2 ml over the tip of the finger and rounded in a nice even arc, smooth and file slightly under the nail to get the best edge.

only this will give you quality and flexibility of tone. the rest is so much bull.

I cut my left hand nails short (I'm a right hand), and keep my right hand nail's long, but not CRAZY LONG.Just enough to give a better picking and cleaner strumming noise.

I ramp mine M and A towards the non-playing edge, and leave I rounded. For the thumbnail, I ramp slightly toward the playing edge. This is my preferred shaping for fingerstyle guitar, after much experimentation since my natural nail shape sucks. I have nails that hook and bend and whatnot. Just remember that the nails don't have to be 'long' at all. Piano is my main instrument, so I need to keep my nails short. They just barely peek out above the flesh if I look at the palm of my hand.

I highly recommend a product called Micromesh. It's like a polishing cloth that gets your nails really, really smooth. This is important for a good, round tone. I go from 3200 to 12000 after filing my nails, and usually touch them up with 12000 before each practice session.

You can get a set for cheap here: http://www.stringsbymail.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_408

I grow out my nails on my strumming hand. I used to cut and file them until I found out about these glass files. Now I just file my nails once a week or whenever needed. These files can chew through fingernails. It took a few times of fileing my nails too short to get the hang of them. Now I love the thing. (credit liveukulele.com for the nail file discovery)

I keep my left hand (non strumming) nails as short as I can bite them.

so if i look at my hand meaty side toward me, I can see about 1-2 millimeters of my fingernails.

My middle and ring finger are filed about 45 degrees toward the center of the nail. The slant doesnt actually reach the center, thats just how i aim my file lol

I have found this lets the string slide along the nail and then ping off the end making a sound i really like. I play with my index finger more with the flat part of the nail rather than the side...ish... man this is hard to explain. umm so my index finger looks like a guitar pick. kind of... not so pointy.

My thumbnail bothers me if Its long all over so i file the non string hitting side pretty much all the way down, the string side is longer and juts for picking.

I dont know if what i do would work for everyone, but it works great for me.

Chording hand short as possible, Picking/strumming hand, modified Scott Tenant shape such that I can just see 'em over the tips of my fingers when I look at my palm side. I keep the tips as smooth as possible for a good round tone.

I know of one professional that has his right hand fingers long, and squared. The square shape gives two edges for fingerpicking and he says that the square shape is better for reduced fraying of the nail. Filling toward the nail center also reduces fraying.

Myself, I have trouble keeping them from splitting. Super glue seems to help for a little while. If I really need nails, I will use Riconalls, sometime simply taped in place (w/o the double side tape)

max of 2 ml over the tip of the finger and rounded in a nice even arc, smooth and file slightly under the nail to get the best edge.

only this will give you quality and flexibility of tone. the rest is so much bull.

Ah, so not someone who believes in more than one school of thought........................... Reminds me of my sister-in-law who says that you don't need sugar in a latte. The milk is sweet enough.

FOR YOU!

Horses for courses. Different strokes for different folks.

These phrases aren't accidents.

an aquaintance of mine that talks up his uke playing has the scariest looking nails i've ever seen haha

index and thumb must be at least an inch and they're sharp as a freakin blade too! (to the point where i told him to watch them on his uke's finish!)

haha i guess everything is better in moderation though, right? lol

Top Bottom