Anybody else out there like me?

dkcrown

UU+
Reaction score
I have been playing the ukulele for just over a year now, and I have to say it has completely taken over my life. Prior to taking up the uke, I had never played any kind of instrument. After a milestone birthday, I decided that it was time to try something new. I chose to learn to play the ukulele only because it made me smile whenever I heard it played. I knew nothing about its surge in popularity and booming sales. After watching Jake and WS64 on YouTube, my decision was sealed.

I eat, sleep, and drink the ukulele. When I am at work, I am constantly thinking about getting home and playing my ukes (and I love my work!) I surf all of the uke sites constantly and have bought more than my fair share of the little four string sirens. I stay up late into the night playing, practicing, and singing with the goal of becoming confident and competent enough to perform and jam with others. And in the morning, I have to play at least a couple of songs before I head back out to work.

And then there is the UU. I am not on facebook. I do not tweet. I am not on any other social networks. But I DO UU! A lot. And love it. It is such a wonderful feeling to be part of such a positive, welcoming community with one common bond, the mighty uke. I have never met any of you, but I feel that I know a little something about many of you. But yet I am still curious. What do you look like? How old are you? Are you male or female? The simple answer is that it just doesn't matter. Because we have something in common that is joyous to us all.

I think that I know the answer, but anybody else out there like me?

Many of us are just like you DK....you're not alone :D

You are so not alone.....I prefer to think of it as a joy and a passion. (read in total rationalization)

so what milestone are ya'. . . a geezer or geezer wannabe?

My life has become uke oriented. People at work are sick of hearing about ukulele and what song I am working on, my facebook friends are sick of me posting about uke stuff, but my wife and kids are happy that I play constantly. My home has become more joyous because these little four-stringed friends have filled me with joy. You are not alone!

Welcome to the UAS club! Now...repeat after me: Hello, My name is "________"; and I am a ukeholic! I own "x" ukuleles, I have only room for ukes in my life!

*seriously, look at my signature portrait...I used to have hair...and, and normal skin tone...Arggggh!*:wallbash:

Hello, my name is Bill, and I'm a ukeholic ! (before you ask, the soprano is Ozzie)
I became addicted in October of '09 when I restored an old banjo uke. The day I strung it up, I learned "Five Foot Two" from the internet. I've been riding the wave ever since.
I joined the uke a month club. Concert in Oct., soprano in Nov., tenor for Christmas, pineapple in Jan., baritone in Feb...
Oh, wait. It's March already !! Is that an electric uke calling me ???

And, yes, I got my Senior discount at Wendy's for lunch !

Last edited:
What? Obcessed with ukulele's? UAS? Oh no......not me! OK well maybe, if you concider that I started playing last August and now there are 7 of them in my house. But they're not all mine, 3 of them belong to my grandkids, but I get to play them too.

My name is Tigeralum and I am a ukuholic. I own 3 ukes (with a new one scheduled to arrive Wednesday). I am a member of the Uke-A-Month club, as seen in my sig. Unfortunately, like a real addiction, it is putting pressure on my finances. There for I am quitting UAS cold turkey.

Like any junkie, I am looking for my next fix. I am hoping it will be a sitar-lele for Christmas. That would be cool...

i feel the same. i started uke as my second instrument, with a years experience in guitar, and i loved. just like you, i am not on facebook, etc, but i post almost three posts a day (on average, check my profile). i am obsessed!

I check the Underground obsessively. I don't always have enough time to post anything (because apparently it takes me a bajillion hours to write out a simple reply), but I always read up. UU is my #1 source of procrastination.

My friends roll their eyes every time they hear me talk about ukuleles or get excited over things that are only slightly uke-related. I squeezed out the last bit of spending money I had from my last job to pay for my sopranino (which is great since I'm getting so much mileage out of it). In fact, if I play my guitar or mandolin at all, I feel like I'm cheating on my ukes; I try to have a pretty monogamous releationship with my Ohana.

...and okay, in just referring to having any sort of "relationship" with an instrument -- that right there should be clear enough evidence that I'm another uke-aholic.

I check the Underground obsessively. I don't always have enough time to post anything (because apparently it takes me a bajillion hours to write out a simple reply), but I always read up. UU is my #1 source of procrastination.

My friends roll their eyes every time they hear me talk about ukuleles or get excited over things that are only slightly uke-related. I squeezed out the last bit of spending money I had from my last job to pay for my sopranino (which is great since I'm getting so much mileage out of it). In fact, if I play my guitar or mandolin at all, I feel like I'm cheating on my ukes; I try to have a pretty monogamous releationship with my Ohana.

...and okay, in just referring to having any sort of "relationship" with an instrument -- that right there should be clear enough evidence that I'm another uke-aholic.

I never talk about anything ukulele with my friends. None of them play musical instruments and only a few of my closest friends even know that I play. Someday, I will play for them and they will be floored. I only talk about ukuleles with my UU friends:)

I'm like you and many others in UU.
Yes, I'm UKUHOLIC, definitely, happily and proudly!

I only own one ukulele, but love it, play almost everyday for the last 4 month, join other uku players here in Japan.
I don't talk much about uke with my friends, but I dream many peoplein Japan will play ukulele and have fun like those in Hawaii, and I want to do something about it.

I'm like you and many others in UU.
Yes, I'm UKUHOLIC, definitely, happily and proudly!

I only own one ukulele, but love it, play almost everyday for the last 4 month, join other uku players here in Japan.
I don't talk much about uke with my friends, but I dream many peoplein Japan will play ukulele and have fun like those in Hawaii, and I want to do something about it.

UKUHOLIC, now that describes me and alot of people on these forums!

the evil master chickens got you!

I'm right in there with you guys! Totally crazy about UU and ukuleles. I can't get enough of it. It has helped brighten me up on even a dark day. It has been a great distraction, and I tend to do something ukulele related whenever I am stressed or bored. I too, was in the uke-of-the-month club, averaging about 1 ukulele a month for the first 8 ukuleles. I have slowed down a bit, but only because I am eyeing more expensive game, that must be played in person before I will buy. And, I am running out of space in my small apartment. Now I am spending loads of time and money on my Ukulele Half Strap project. Yes, the Ukulele has nearly taken over my life... about 75% anyway.

–Lori

Top Bottom