PDA

View Full Version : Got an early grad gift.....

thejumpingflea
05-16-2008, 02:56 PM
Got my Senior Graduation gift from my parents today. A Tenor G-String! Sounds wonderful with the Aquilas I put on and has a very bright sound. Just thought I'd share my excitement with you guys!! :music:

la_ingrit
05-16-2008, 03:05 PM
Wow congratulations jumpingflea...for the uke :music: and for your graduation:rock:!!!!!!!!! that's awesome!!!

upload a video!!!!

your parents deserve an A plus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rock:

By the way...SUMMER RAIN...sounds cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

deach
05-16-2008, 03:09 PM
Congrats on graduating and the G String!

Ame
05-16-2008, 03:10 PM
Congrats, that's awesome! Have fun with it! :)

Guting
05-16-2008, 03:39 PM
Got my Senior Graduation gift from my parents today. A Tenor G-String! Sounds wonderful with the Aquilas I put on and has a very bright sound. Just thought I'd share my excitement with you guys!! :music:

DAAAAAMMNNN!!!!! Sweet gift.

UkuLeLesReggAe
05-16-2008, 03:42 PM
DAAAAAMMNNN!!!!! Sweet gift.

true.. i want a ukulele for a gift... but nobody knows what a good ukulele is and what isn't in my family.. So not going to happen any time soon lol

Plainsong
05-16-2008, 04:39 PM
Yeah, in my family if it's not a clarinet then they don't wanna know.

Wow, G-string is kind of hard to come by, but I'd be all over one of those Honu tattooed models. Oh who am I kidding, I'd be all over any model. :eek:

Congrats, and tell your parents I :worship: them!

menehunenyc
05-16-2008, 04:43 PM
Congratulations on your graduation and your uke! Best wishes to you both.

NotoriousMOK
05-16-2008, 05:28 PM
Sweet gift! You musta worked pretty hard for it! Congrats!

UKESTAR
05-16-2008, 05:32 PM
Wow. Congrats. Great gift....much better than something electronic...

thejumpingflea
05-16-2008, 08:49 PM
Wow congratulations jumpingflea...for the uke :music: and for your graduation:rock:!!!!!!!!! that's awesome!!!

upload a video!!!!

your parents deserve an A plus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rock:

By the way...SUMMER RAIN...sounds cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks. I gave my parents an A++ and I just made a video. Just a cruddy little latin lick that I got an idea for from the G-String. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di7bD5N2GaA

Plainsong
05-16-2008, 11:17 PM
That uke sounds...aweome! :eek: (so awesome I spelled awesome wrong and had to edit it)

And you sound awesome playing it. A good match, I'd say! :nana:

Kaneohe til the end
05-16-2008, 11:48 PM
on a similar note, i still dont know what uke to ask my parents to get me. i know tenor, preferably solid koa, good looking, in the $400-$500 range. any suggestions?

hawaiianmusiclover06
05-17-2008, 12:11 AM
WOW! Congratulations and your uke! That's an awesome gift!

Alana

david98116
05-17-2008, 12:20 AM
Sharp looking uke my man!! Treat her well and spend lots of time with her and she'll sing for you. Congrats.

la_ingrit
05-17-2008, 06:16 AM
:worship:nice video, and nice uke, and lots of passion!!!!

russ_buss
05-17-2008, 06:28 AM
congrats on the graduation and the new uke. you lucky guy!

UkuleleAddiction
05-17-2008, 08:51 AM
Very nice! What strings do you have on it? Post some pics if you can -- I'd love to see the uke.

Misguided Musician
05-17-2008, 09:34 AM
Mann you are so luckkyyy!!! Congrats on both ur graduation nad ur ukulele. Try posting some pics if you can. Put that uke to good use!!!

thejumpingflea
05-17-2008, 11:00 AM
Pictures!

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee239/thejumpingflea/IMGP0937.jpg
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee239/thejumpingflea/IMGP0938.jpg
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee239/thejumpingflea/IMGP0940.jpg
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee239/thejumpingflea/IMGP0939.jpg

thejumpingflea
05-17-2008, 11:01 AM
Very nice! What strings do you have on it? Post some pics if you can -- I'd love to see the uke.

They are re-entrant tuned Aquilas.

UkuleleAddiction
05-17-2008, 11:23 AM
Thanks for posting the pics. That's an awesome looking uke! I love the pearloid tuning buttons against the koa. And the close-up of the soundhole told me what strings were on it. :D

Poi Dog
05-17-2008, 01:52 PM
Congrats on the G-String and graduation TJF! And good job on the video man!! Keep up the great work!

davoomac
05-17-2008, 05:21 PM
Congrats on graduating!

Your parents must REALLY love you haha :D:D

thejumpingflea
06-10-2008, 05:35 PM
Well I have some bad news about the uke. I love it to death and have been playing it nearly non-stop, but the strings (especially the A) go flat like crazy as you go up the fret board. The sound is incredible and the intonation, feel and such is unparalled, but this whole flat-ness is starting to make me a bit mad. Anybody have any helpful suggestions as to what to do about this? Thanks!

drubin
06-11-2008, 08:35 AM
Well, jumpingflea, it's difficult to diagnose your problem over the internet. You say that the strings (especially the A) go flat as you go up the fretboard, but then you also say that the intonation...is unparalleled...hmmm...that seems like a contradiction to me. In any case, here are some thoughts:

1. New strings take a while to settle in and you'll have to keep retuning for a while till they settle in.

2. Depending upon the fretboard construction, height of the frets, and the type of strings, some ukes are more prone than others to being capable of sounding out of tune depending where between the frets you are pushing down. I notice this more with the Worth browns on my Bushman than on my MP. I realized that an ukulele is less like a steel string guitar, where you can usually push down anywhere between the fret and the guitar will sound more or less in tune--and that ukuleles are more like dobros, where one needs to find the "right spot" and learn it in your muscle memory to play as close to as perfectly in tune as possible. Does that make sense? Sorry if this is unclear; discussing this stuff over the internet can be difficult. My point is that, because ukulele strings are either nylon, flourocarbon, or nyglut, most will be so sensitive to finger placement that if you fret the string closer to the rear fret, the note can sound out of tune.

My suggestion is to keep playing for a while to see if this isn't a technique problem as opposed to an ukulele construction problem. Of course, if it is a technical problem with the construction of the uke, I'm sure you could contact KoAloha and see what they have to say. Their customer service is reportedly of the highest quality. I hope this helps and that your problem resolves itself soon!

Plainsong
06-11-2008, 11:54 AM
I'm sure Koaloha would love to help, but isn't this a G-string or did I miss something?

thejumpingflea
06-11-2008, 11:58 AM
I'm sure Koaloha would love to help, but isn't this a G-string or did I miss something?

Yes it is a G-String.

What I mean by the intonation is up to about the 12th fret or so it is very good. It does get flat though as you go up.

I really don't think it is the strings, they are pretty well settled now.

I guess I'll be taking it to a luthier somewhat soon.

drubin
06-11-2008, 01:09 PM
Whoops! Sorry I got the maker's name wrong Jumpingflea! I guess I hadn't had my morning coffee yet! ;) Good luck with your luthier!