Could it be true?Solid Koa for under $300

I've heard the quality is hit or miss. I'd buy one from musicians friend instead of ebay. That way if you get a dog you can return it.

The Cordoba is made with solid wood but not koa. It's made with Austrailian Blackwood, which is an acacia and related to Hawaiian koa. It's usually marketed as "Portugese Koa". You should be able to try one at a local Guitar Center. They really are hit or miss. I've tried one that sounded worse than a laminated Mitchell uke and recently I tried one that was actually pretty decent even with the crappy factory strings.

I guess I better chime in, since I have one.

GX's comments are pretty much right on though.

I like mine, for a solid wood uke in that price range I'm happy with it. With some aquilas it sounds good.

But..... there are 4 Guitar Centers in the Phoenix area, and I had to visit all 4 before I found one that I liked enough to keep. And I got mine in 2007 and they were a little bit cheaper then.

I would be a little hesitant to get one that i couldn't check out before hand. Looks like the seller doesn't allow any returns either. Did you try Guitar Center in Boston?

I will give a peek to Guitar Center here in boston so I can try one...Thanks for the scoop...

Having seen and played quite a few of these, I can say I love their tone, but there's a good chance it'll require some setup work like a fretdress and maybe saddle replacement.

I found the Martin saddles fit these ukes perfectly, you just need to make it a bit shorter and adjust the height according to your preferences. At that price, I guess you can't have it all. :confused:

At our store, this sort of setup work is done (free of charge) before the uke gets put out on the floor or at least before you take it home, so you may want to check if the store where you are purchasing this uke provides this kind of service, if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself (that is, if it does indeed require a setup).

Taking the above into account, I still think they are good value. However, if you are buying any uke unseen or unplayed I would definitely buy at a shop with a return policy. And ask for a packet of decent strings with it - the factory strings are indeed crap.

Did you check out the Marketplace? Renaisannce Man is selling a Cordoba . Although used, sounds like a good deal.

Thanks for the mention, Kanaka916.
My Cordoba doesn't have any of the possible problems mentioned in this discussion. The KOA wood is simply beautiful, and well matched. The action is very low, with no buzz or dead notes. Every note resonates as it should. My Cordoba sounds bright and full, not flat or raspy like some of the laminate ukes I've tried. The nut and saddle are real bone, and are expertly cut. It's a sweet uke, and it's in mint condition.
attachment.php

Hey Renaissance, you might wanna PM Bourbon Boy to see if he's interested. I was just thinkin' seein as how he's a UU member. Good Luck in the sale . . .

Top Bottom