Pick Violence

Skrik

Reaction score
Thin picks just don't survive my playing. One song and I have to shake the guitar to get the bits that have disappeared down the soundhole out. I decided therefore, that I'd be better served using medium picks. The sound isn't as percussive, though, which means I tend to hit the strings a little harder, to compensate. This evening, I have destroyed my first medium pick, getting the sound I crave from my guitar. Is this normal? If I progress onto even thicker picks, am I going to end up destroying the guitar, the strings, my arm, or will the picks still bear the brunt of my violence?

Any thoughts?

I can't use thin picks. I tried using mediums. Mostly I play fingerstyle now. I get more sound, tone, and expression and percussiveness strumming with my fingers/nails anyway. You can get a modified "chunking" sound that way, and also you have more direct control in striking the strings with the tops of your nails on a downstroke. It is a little hard on nails. But you should try it and see if that allows you to dig into the strings the way you want.

What kind of strings are you using? Have you tried different gauges to see if that changes anything about your sound? I sometimes use wooden (ebony) picks, but you can very easily destroy a guitar with those if you are careless.

This is an unhelpful reply. I just saw this subject and a persuasive argument popped into my head immediately.

"Peace, or violence? Pick violence!! Violence rules."
:rock:

Are you using really heavy strings? When I first got my Breedlove it was chewing up picks but they were super heavy strings. I put lighter strings on and haven't had the problem since.

I can't even bring myself to purchase a pick. I've been using my fingers on .012 gauge sets for steel string acoustic the whole time. Then again, I hardly play outside the comfort of my home, so I don't need to go hard on my strings. Pick violence is string violence; both are expensive, and I can't afford it. HA!

If you don't like shredding picks and want you keep your tone, I would suggest heavier strings. With heavier strings, you probably don't have to dig so hard to get the tone you want. I'm no expert, but I would think it works logically.

I use picks made from Tortex or other unbreakable materials. You can use very thin picks and never break them.

Are you using really heavy strings? When I first got my Breedlove it was chewing up picks but they were super heavy strings. I put lighter strings on and haven't had the problem since.

I'm using 13s -- I guess they're on the heavy end of medium gauge. The guitar has a laminate top, and I'm not confident that lighter strings are going to move it much. Using my fingernails is not an option as I prefer to play the ukulele with the pads of my finger, and I have thinnish fingernails anyway.

I have been thinking of getting hold of a metal pick, but a few scrapes and the guitar's ruined. RevWill's tortex idea is definitely worth looking into. Any brand I can look for?

This is an unhelpful reply. I just saw this subject and a persuasive argument popped into my head immediately.

"Peace, or violence? Pick violence!! Violence rules."
:rock:

lol, I thought the same thing! I also have to say that when I the thread titled "Anyone like me?" my first thought was "no". But of course, that was just a joke.

Jim Dunlop has a line of nylon picks that I really like. I forget the size I use, but they're the light grey ones.

-Mark

I'm using 13s -- I guess they're on the heavy end of medium gauge. The guitar has a laminate top, and I'm not confident that lighter strings are going to move it much. Using my fingernails is not an option as I prefer to play the ukulele with the pads of my finger, and I have thinnish fingernails anyway.

I have been thinking of getting hold of a metal pick, but a few scrapes and the guitar's ruined. RevWill's tortex idea is definitely worth looking into. Any brand I can look for?

You're a brave person to try metal picks.

Top Bottom