Builder's Log: Stew-Mac Tenor Kit

mzuch

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I finally finished my second uke, this one an all-mahogany tenor from a Stew-Mac kit. Learned a lot, and I'm generally happy with the results. I photographed the entire process and put together a blog, which you can read here. I've already started on #3 with materials from Hana Lima Ia. Let me know what y'all think.

Michael

Chuck, the headstock adornment is a vinyl decal from best-decals.com. I tried to get the same effect with inkjet-printed waterslide decals without success.

If you are thinking of getting a StewMac kit, definitely do it. I'm doing the finishing on my soprano kit and still just having a ball with it.

Michael, it looks like you did a fantastic job on that Uke.

Very nice! I'm thinking about purchasing the kit from stewmac.com as well as I want to get started in uke builiding and I think this may be a good intro since it's not just a bolt together kit like some others I have seen, but still cuts down on time and skill required since the sides are already prebent, neck and blocks shaped etc... I will study and try that once I can sucessfully build this kit! The quality seems to be pretty good as well. Do you have any vids of you playing it so we can hear it?

As far as tools go, what all did you use/need/not required but found useful? I want to make sure I have everything I will need, and start putting together a uke building tool kit lol!

Beautiful job!

Top Bottom