"All New" Ohana solid spruce/solid rosewood soprano SK-70

Man Ohana and UkeRepublic is on fire with sopranos this year. I love that rosewood, and the zebra with the spruce top is great too. But, we gotta teach you some plunky soprano songs for dem videos.

Last edited:
Man Ohana and UkeRepublic is on fire with sopranos this year. I love that rosewood, and the zebra with the spruce top is great too. But, we gotta teach you some plunky soprano songs for dem videos.

I wanted to play some tunes but the wife was saying low battery and I had to get 3 demos posted. I think I'll redo those sopranos again. I do love plunky tunes , I got some al Jolson in mind.

Does Ohana still make this model? I don't see it on the Ohana website any longer. I liked it better than the SK-70MG, which seems to be a mahogany laminate back and sides, instead of the solid rosewood back and sides on the SK-70. Ohana also seems to have produced a spruce-topped SK-75R, which I believe did have solid back and sides - or maybe Elderly is just confused. There don't seem to be a whole lot of the rosewood SK-70s out there, but the solid rosewood and spruce combination was not only beautiful, but also uber-loud for a soprano.

Mike - I'm not sure if it's the one you are playing in the video, but one will be coming into my possession this afternoon, due to some serious herd thinning by its present owner. I recall the rosewood being darker on that one, though. Does rosewood darke with age? It tried to go home with me from Starbucks a year ago but I resisted its stunning beauty lol.

I think I am going to do my own video review on it when I get it, just because I love rosewood. I recall Pippin also did one of it.

Last edited:
The version on the video is a limited edition with an ebony fingerboard , we still have a couple. Ohana now has it with rosewood fingerboard.
Congrats -That soprano has a very rich and full sound.

Yeah. This one has the special edition ebony fretboard. I think Ohana underpriced that special edition, but I'm not complaining [g]. I need another soprano like I need a hole in my head, but just could not stand to see such a beauty leave the SEUker family. Who knows what sort of new home it may have gone to otherwise? I think it was probably squeezed out of the collection by the VitaUke cannon.

I am picking her up here at 11 this morning. I can't wait. WIsh I didn't have to work on this damned work-related project I am working on today, but it pays for the addiction.

Thebigchicken.jpg

Last edited:
I've got it in my hot little hands as we speck PDX. Its interesting how much blacker the ebony on the 70 is when you put it side by side to the rosewood on the 35. I really like the matte finish too. I think my review will be another side by side with the SK-35, this time with some longer strumming comparisons, more closeup shots, no reverb anywhere, and no singing. I can already tell the 35 has more bass, but that is to be expected with mahogany vs spruce. I am going to try to put up a comparison in the next week or so (real business permitting). Body dimensions are identical.

Its funny - I played this very SK-70 at a meet-up when Mike first got it in last March and several people sitting across the room told me it was louder than my Sk-35 was. The 70 doesn't seem louder to me on first blush, but I am going to make sure and not apply any extra amplification in Audacity on the tests to bring them up to equal volumes. My 35 has just opened up into a little sound monster!

The SK-70 still has the Aquilas on it (perhaps the originals) and I put the Martins on the 35. I will have to change one or the other to get a fair comparison. The Martins have a great ringing tone to them, and the intonation is better with the Martins, probably because they are thinner and fit the nut slots better.

Excuse the hasty photography, but a couple of quick snapshots:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom