Doesn't your heart sink when...

rock_and_roll_camera

Reaction score
...you spot a bit of damage or an imperfection on your uke that you never noticed was there before. I just spotted on my less than a month old Kala concert that there is a chunk out the bridge where at some point it looks like the saddle may have been poped out with a screwdriver or something. Not really all that noticable to the outside world but now I know its there I'm kinda gutted and can't stop looking at it.

Also, the white binding seems to be getting black marks on it, I presume from rubbing in the case? Anybody know the best way to clean it off?

I actually like all my possesions, even the expensive ones, to have some kind of scratch or dent. Takes away the fear of using them properly. But it has to be my mark, not some manufacturing deficit.

^ I like that take on it :) Makes me feel better about the dent I put on my beloved Bret not long ago... I dropped a small but heavy glass bottle on him and it made a slight dent.

But you're right, it did make him go from 'brand new uke' to 'old faithful' lol.

Sparky

Nah, I've learned to move on with those little dings and stuff. Now chunks, that may be a different story.

Yup. Everything will get a ding eventually. Just a matter of when. Nothing's perfect.

Doesn't bother me at all. Heck, it adds character!

JJ

Yeah, that's what I thought. And atleast it sets apart my uke from the millions of other Kalas out there! You just can't help getting that sickly, disappointed feeling though can you!?...

there is someone on here whose uke is held together with duct tape and still sounds awesome. I dig on a bit of character though I still have a heart attack everytime one of my kids gets hold unattended.

guting on youtube has one of the rattiest uke I've ever seen - also hands down one of the coolest!

Sink? From love bites? Battle scars? Stretch marks? I don't think so! Give's 'em character. Shows they've been played. Live hard, play hard. Just don't back over it in your car. That will make your heart sink, trust me on that. (I won't bore y'all with those pics again... ;-)

character marks.....it happens.

Those marks are just a sign of love, I've learned to appreciate every single one of them. :)

I've learned to accept most forms of damage to my instruments as battle scars. After watching my Telecaster slide down the stairs and into a big wooden cabinet, nothing else really bothers me. :B

I'm OCD. i hate those little imperfections. I wish I could let them roll off my back. I bought a beautiful Maoinland a few months back with a beautiful Tweed case. It came in a plastic bag in the box. Can anyone guess where I'm headed? Yes, I keep the case in the plastic bag. I find the case to be a bit of a work of art also. I don't leave the house with it yet so it's not a big deal. But when the snow finally stops I might. Help me get over this obsession.

Sink? From love bites? Battle scars? Stretch marks? I don't think so! Give's 'em character. Shows they've been played. Live hard, play hard. Just don't back over it in your car. That will make your heart sink, trust me on that. (I won't bore y'all with those pics again... ;-)
A long time ago in Sheffield UK..I was on my way to see a local group "Joe Cocker and the Grease band" play at a local Pub (The Harbourthorn Hotel..Admission free)..The bass player with Joe's band (who was a neigbour in those days) was a guy called "Chris Stainton..he gave me and my Pal "Graham" a lift in his car to the gig..It was dark and when I got into the back seat my foot knocked against something that went "Deong"?.. I said whats that?? Chris replyed "Oh that's just my bass"..and lying in the well behind the seats was a Fender Precision bass. (no case) He never had one...It was a tatty looking Fender Bass but it was fantastic in his hands...

The Car never made it to the gig..it ran out of Gas and we made the last half mile on foot with Chris his bass on his shoulder like a rifle, and Graham and I walking behind carrying a His 50 watt Leak Hifi amp and a cardboard shoebox containing the valves/tubes wrapped in cotton wool.

I can never understand why anybody gets so concerned about the appearance of a uke..to me it's just one of these handy musical instruments that you can keep in your locker or in the car..It's the sort of thing you ask to be autographed when you meet "Jake the Uke"..."Seek for Evil and Ye you will surely find it"..just play it and have fun....I take mine all over... and I don't have a case for it..I know it's got scratches and dent's but who cares..nobody has complained to me about them yet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom