Please tell me about Ohta-san

ikarin

Reaction score
Hi, Ukulele & UU lovers out there!

Today, I want to ask you something.

Next month Ohta-san and Bass player, Christian Fabian, come to Japan and have a concert.

I know Ohta-san is more than famous, he's a legend.
This is rare opportunity, but to me, as a very beginner, I don't think I know well how great his Ukulele play is.

Do you think going to his concert is worth going?
Just to listen and enjoy?
Or too difficult for me to learn just by watching him playing and listening?
Or enough for me to be impressed and motivated?

I do love just playing Ukulele myself and with others, but at the same time I'm eager to play better taking time for practice.

Thanks for your opinion!
Naoko

Hi, Ukulele & UU lovers out there!

Today, I want to ask you something.

Next month Ohta-san and Bass player, Christian Fabian, come to Japan and have a concert.

I know Ohta-san is more than famous, he's a legend.
This is rare opportunity, but to me, as a very beginner, I don't think I know well how great his Ukulele play is.

Do you think going to his concert is worth going?
Just to listen and enjoy?
Or too difficult for me to learn just by watching him playing and listening?
Or enough for me to be impressed and motivated?

I do love just playing Ukulele myself and with others, but at the same time I'm eager to play better taking time for practice.

Thanks for your opinion!
Naoko

By all means SEEEEEEE the show!!

I have seen Sr. in concert and workshop. Truly inspiring. He was one of the pioneers of the instrument and his knowledge of jazz and bossa nova styles of playing in unparalleled.

Most people pay for a concert to listen to the music. If you can gain even a little bit of knowledge from watching, you get more for your money than most. And if you like his style, the inspiration will be huge. Before you commit to anything make sure you like his style because it is kind of slower and more jazzy overall (the guy can still rip). Go for the music. Don't limit yourself by thinking you have to learn something from the experience.

thejumpingflee & Hippie Guy

Thank for your precious advice.

It sounds it's DEFINITELY worth going.
I just started to learn Jazz/Bossa nova from a teacher, so it looks perfect to me now!

By the way, what's HIS STYLE like?
I didn't get from him watching Youtube...

Again, I really apprecite you two!
Naoko

Just to chime in on what Matt and Brad had to say, if you enjoy the 'ukulele, you will definitely enjoy what Ohta-san has to offer. You should also check YT for some Ohta-san vids, but seeing him in person is just to good an opportunity to miss.

I grew up listening to my Dad's Ohta San LPs, in fact I still have them but no way to play them, he is a wonderful talent and an inspiration. I would recommend go just to listen and enjoy instead of trying to concentrate watching what he is doing. Listening would be more inspiring than trying to figure out how he is making those wonderful sounds. He'll make it look easy and that may be a discouragement when you can't pick up up his techniques right away. Definitely go enjoy the concert, sometimes better to close your eyes and just listen to the magic for inspiration. Naoko san yookoso to UU. :cool:

Definately go! I always find it inspiring to watch good players, and Ohta-San is one of the greats. I wish I had more chances to see live uke performances, but the nearest to me are in California (about 800 miles away).

Go. By all means go to the concert. It's be terrific.

>Kanaka916, Ahnko Honu, Kenikas, sukie

Thank you for all your supportive comments.
Now I feel I'm so happy to have this chance to listen to and watch him while my passion for ukulele is high, like you guys.
Thank you UU as always.

Naoko

Top Bottom