ISO pineapple sunday or Sceptre

eculuke

Reaction score
checking to see if anybody is willing to part with either one of these?

man, i think i missed the bus, I swore there were a few up for sale a couple of weeks ago.

man just when I have the money...not a single one floating out there!!!

man, i think i missed the bus, I swore there were a few up for sale a couple of weeks ago.

Yep, I had a Pineapple Sunday up for sale a couple of weeks ago, but I have since sold it. Hang in there, I'm sure you will find one (or a Sceptre) pretty soon.

The Sceptre is so beautiful. That's a dream uke for me, no doubt!

yea both of them pop up every so often. just hang in there and you'll get one. Whatever you do, DO NOT just settle on something bc you're getting restless. There are tons of great ukes in that price range, and although you may LOVE the look of the PS/Sceptre, you may find one that SOUNDS much better to you. That was the case with me.

I was raising money for a PS that was offered to me from a local retailer for $900. I didnt go after it enough bc I just wasn't THAT happy with the sound. He ended up getting an offer from someone to buy it for $1,200, so he had to get rid of it before I could raise the money. I actually played a Santa Cruz Mahogany that has become my dream uke. The sound was just glroious (although it was $1,600, which was WAY out of my range). I would have never thought in a million years that I would like something from Santa Cruz (who I had never heard of before then) more than the revered KoAloha. I was blown away by the Santa Cruz. Hands down the best uke I've ever placed my hands on. And I've played some ukes that were MUCH more expensive. Point is, although the PS/Sceptre are AMAZING ukes, while you're waiting for one to come available, you may want to find a high-end retailer and try some other ukes in that price range. You never know what you might fall in love with.

Also, just a note: It's amazing how different the K brand ukes are from uke to uke. There is NO WAY you should spend that kind of money on a uke without playing it first. I played 2 of the same Kanile'a at that same store and they sounded vastly different. One sounded great, while the other was a bit dull.

I hate to be the one to throw the kink in your PS/Sceptre fantasy, but my two cents says to absolutley try the uke before you buy it. And if you're buy it online, require a sound sample (or video, preferably) and a return policy, in the event you aren't happy with it. Any legit retailer or seller should abide by that.

I hope you end up finding the PS or Sceptre of you dreams, but just heed the advice and dont get too trigger happy...

Good luck

Last edited:
I actually played a Santa Cruz Mahogany that has become my dream uke.

Also, just a note: It's amazing how different the K brand ukes are from uke to uke. There is NO WAY you should spend that kind of money on a uke without playing it first. I played 2 of the same Kanile'a at that same store and they sounded vastly different. One sounded great, while the other was a bit dull.

Bit of a highjack but, where did you play all these ukes? Acoustic Vibes?

Back on point. Have you contacted Koaloha directly? Sometimes they have seconds on hand for a considerable discount. Or you could order one strait from the factory.

My thought is, I have a koaloha sop and it sounds WAY different from my other 6 ukes (kamaka). I really love the sound, but I am lacking a concert size uke. I was looking at the koaloha concert and its about 600-750. And I have seen some PS and sceptre go for 100 more. So I figured it might be worth the wait.

Luke

My thought is, I have a koaloha sop and it sounds WAY different from my other 6 ukes (kamaka). I really love the sound, but I am lacking a concert size uke. I was looking at the koaloha concert and its about 600-750. And I have seen some PS and sceptre go for 100 more. So I figured it might be worth the wait.

solid idea. The PS is really a super concert though. Which I am sure you are aware of...lovely insturment. If you already have a KoAloha and 6 Kamakas, then I would say just wait until you come across the PS or Sceptre. In the meantime, go play one of your KAMAKAS!!! (or send one to me to play :D)

not all 6 are kamakas, 1 pono, 1 kamaka tenor, 1 applause, 2 mainlands, 1 koaloha, 1 kala

Both the Sceptre and PS are super tenor sized ukes. Definitely different sounding ukes. I hope you get a chance to play them side by side before choosing one.

Both the Sceptre and PS are super tenor sized ukes. Definitely different sounding ukes. I hope you get a chance to play them side by side before choosing one.

I got Ronnie's old PS and though I love it. It is only my fourth favorite ukulele. My wife's long neck soprano (koaloha) is my favorite and then my sceptre. I think you will be happy with either one. Definitly contact koaloha. I think a pineapple batch was just made.

I got Ronnie's old PS and though I love it. It is only my fourth favorite ukulele. My wife's long neck soprano (koaloha) is my favorite and then my sceptre. I think you will be happy with either one. Definitly contact koaloha. I think a pineapple batch was just made.

Awww, I'm sorry it is only fourth place. :(

I actually really like my Pineapple Sunday. It is my favorite ukulele right now. I play it almost exclusively. Now a percentage of that is due to it being the new kid on the block, and my most recent acquisition, but I love the styling of it, and I really like the crystalline bright sound it makes. Of course, I will need to play a Sceptre to make a true comparison. ;)

PS vs Sop longneck

haolejohn wrote

Haolejohn, I'm eying up a longneck vs a PS. What is it about your wife's long neck soprano that you like so much compared to the Pineapple Sunday?

Thanks

Haolejohn, I'm eying up a longneck vs a PS. What is it about your wife's long neck soprano that you like so much compared to the Pineapple Sunday?

Thanks

i can't really say. If you like I can get a video up so you can hear the two next to each other. Her longneck(which she never plays) has an awesome sound. It is loud and very responsive. It is beautiful with a great grain pattern. I just wasn't overly impressed with my PS. Not that i don't like itit just doesn't have the sound that I thought it would., i think part of my displeasure is that I wanted it really bad and liked the older style with the more defined etching and I really didn't have the funds to get it (wiped out my savings account) so I have a little buyers remorse. I can actually do a video of all my koalohas for yoiu. I'll play the same song. I have a PS, Sceptre, concert, and long neck soprano. All are strung with either koaloha strings or worth clears.

Originally posted by Haolejohn - I can actually do a video of all my koalohas for yoiu. I'll play the same song. I have a PS, Sceptre, concert, and long neck soprano. All are strung with either koaloha strings or worth clears.

Wow! If you would make a video that would be much appreciated. I would enjoy watching it and hearing it, and I suspect other would as well. It certainly is going over and above what is expected. THANK YOU!

Top Bottom