Looking forward to trying out a Mainland

Chris Tarman

Reaction score
Yesterday I ordered a Matte Mahogany Mainland Soprano for my niece's 18th birthday. I have wanted to try one out for a long time. Of course, I am having it sent HERE so that I can get the strings stretched so it will stay in tune for her. ;) That's not wrong, is it?

i just got one for my 18th (a uke in general, not the same model) but yea im sure she'll appreciate it mine was untuned for 3 days and it drove me crazy so go for it haha

Love my Mainland. Your niece will love hers too. Pretty uke and such a sweet tone. You're doing the right thing by pre-stretching the strings for her. After all, you want to make sure when she receives the gift, its ready for her to play.

Yes, you are doing her a favor to stretch out the strings. I did that on a Dolphin I got for my sister-in-law, and I put Aquila strings on it before giving it to her. I had about three days to play it, and that made it very stable when she played it for the first time. I got the bonus of trying out the Dolphin too, so it was all good.

–Lori

WOW What a nice uncle, will you adopt me? I'm an orphan. You will not be disappointed in the Mainland, LOVE my cedar pineapple. You're definitely doing her a favor stretching out those Aquila strings which are a tad stretchier than most strings.

Yes, you are doing her a favor to stretch out the strings. I did that on a Dolphin I got for my sister-in-law, and I put Aquila strings on it before giving it to her. I had about three days to play it, and that made it very stable when she played it for the first time. I got the bonus of trying out the Dolphin too, so it was all good.

–Lori

I'll have about three WEEKS to stretch the strings on this, so it should stay in tune nicely!

Chris, just go ahead and order her another one as after you play it, you'll be hooked. Mainlands are the best. I have two, so I know what I'm talking about here. The only thing is get the next one in gloss. You won't be sorry and then plan a weekend , June 4th, I think it is to come to the Ukulele World Congress in Indiana. It's put on by Mainland. See ya there.

Chris, just go ahead and order her another one as after you play it, you'll be hooked. Mainlands are the best. I have two, so I know what I'm talking about here. The only thing is get the next one in gloss. You won't be sorry and then plan a weekend , June 4th, I think it is to come to the Ukulele World Congress in Indiana. It's put on by Mainland. See ya there.

Oh yeah. I'm already plotting to get myself a gloss soprano, and that's without ever having played one. I like the look, and have never heard one bad word about them. I'd love to go to Indiana for that, but I have a bass-playing gig on June 5th, and my wife's birthday is the 6th, so she would probably not like me going across 3 and a half states to (most certainly) buy another ukulele! But I WILL get myself a Mainland, soon.

It got here this morning. I opened up the box and it's really striking looking. I've tuned it up and strummed it a few times, but haven't played it in earnest yet. Looking forward to A/B -ing it with my Kala Koa and my Martin S-O. And also looking forward to getting those strings properly stretched for my niece! Heh-heh...

A handy pretext for buying another uke. Getting it for the neice indeed. I predict another Mainland purchase soon.

I'm betting he reads Playboy for the articles. . . :p

noooo thats not wrong at all. I would love to stretch the strings out if I bought a uke for someone. hahaha. that just means you get the satisfaction of hearing it sing the first time. but yeah mainland makes great ukuleles. the only problem I have with mine was that the action is pretty darn high on it, but im lowering it myself so its no biggy.

Chris,

Strecthing the strings for her is a very big favor that she won't appreciate until she has to do it herself one day but for the first time she plays it, it will be a better experience to have the strings stretched. It's a nice thing to do. Sure you won't mind playing it but it is a nice thing to do.

Your choice of Uke is excellent. I bought my Glossy Concert in January. I opened the case and was blown away with the workmanship of the finish. It's beautiful and sounds as good as it looks. Your niece will love hers and you will love yours. remember the first step of UAS is accepting that you have to buy another Uke.

Top Bottom