I have no clue what I should be looking for...

Zonzen

Reaction score
when buying my first Ukulele. I wanted to play some sort on instrument and seeing how the Piano is way too difficult the Ukulele is next on my list.

I heard about Kala's and Lanikai but I have no clue what kind to get. I do not want to spend over 70 bucks, but I do not want one that is going tp break on me or look too cheap looking. ANy help would be appreciated! I want to play Hey Soul Sister by Train but I have a feeling that because I have no idea on how to play that it won't happen anytime soon

Hey there, welcome to the Underground. The Ukulele is a great choice for a first instrument, real quick to learn if you keep at it.

The Uke Beginners Board here on this site has loads of useful information, so be sure to check it out.

A collection of entry level ukes can be found here.

One, if not THE beginners Uke is the Makala Dolphin as sold by our very own MusicGuyMike. They come set up with Aquila Strings and have great bang for your buck. But be careful. The power of Uke will consume your soul and leave you with a goofy grin.

Welcome to UU and the world of Ukuleles!

+1 on the MGM referal http://stores.ebay.com/Musicguymics-Room. Getting a uke that is properly setup is very important. Playing a uke that's intonation is off is a sure way to quit playing early. You're also assured that the ukes that MGM sells will not fall apart. Also check out http://ukerepublic.com/ whom I just ordered a uke from. Both MGM and Mike at uke republic are very nice and accessible so give them a call to talk about your needs and concerns and they'll set you up with a good uke under $75 shipped.

I love my Makala Dolphin and highly recommend it. However, to those not familiar with their goodness, they do look like toys. You might want to opt for the Kala KA-15S which looks like a more "serious" uke. For a bigger uke, in case you have large hands, you might want to opt for a concert size ukulele. MGM has the Makala MK-C which he can get to you for a smidge over your $70 budget.

Good luck!

I agree with the above recomendations, the Makala's are the best bang for the buck and MGM's service can't be beat. We have 3 Makala's, my tenor and my grandkids Dolphins, and we love them. I've heard good things about the Lanikai LU-21's and the couple I've played were good, but if you can't play before you buy I'd stick with MGM or Ukerepublic because especially in this price range the set up is very important.

Top Bottom