Tenor Ukulele by Michael J King

michaeljking

Reaction score
I have just finished my tenor, and uploaded a video to youtube, This was meant to be a very basic instrument for myself to play and to have something to show people so I can make more, the problem of being an instrument maker who mainly makes custom made early instruments is that I never seem to have any instruments completed!!
I uses Sapele for this example, The fingerboard has a single pearl inlay at the 7th fret, cedar neck, ebony faceplate, stamped on the reverse. wood pegs and Aquila strings at the moment
I will have this and a few more at the Ukulele Festival here in Cheltenham (June!!)

Picture of the body of the instrument:
tenor.jpg

I found a company in Northamptonshire (UK) that makes metal stamps that I have used on the reverse of my headstocks, they don't have a website, but if any of you are interested I can send you their email and phone number, just PM me!
makers-mark.jpg

Yes please Michael - I have a brand... Just one crit. Try making the bridge a bit bigger or along 'classic guitar' lines. It looks very 'lonely' there, stuck in the middle.

Thanks Pete, its good to get some critical feedback, When I made a baritone Uke before I used a pin bridge but I thought I could get away with something more minimal with the tenor, I think the bridge I used was 3mm wider than my Soprano bridge and longer but its still small, I will do classical one for my next tenor.

BTW, I used Titebond for the body following your methods, which went really quick!!(thanks again!!) The neck is bolt on like your earlier method(seems to hold well to me, though I did superglue the insert into the cedar) I used a very slow set epoxy adhesive for the joint to the body, and then I used hot animal glue for the fingerboard and bridge!! The finish was very minlmal too, oil sanding followed by shellac

Top Bottom