PDA

View Full Version : String Test: Clear Fluorocarbons vs. Kala Red on Honu Tenor

dirk.li
03-03-2010, 03:29 AM
Hey guys, I've just received a shipment of Kala Red strings from MGM. (They seem not to be available in Europe, if you know a source, please let me know!) So I made a video to compare the Kala Reds to the Clear Fluorocarbons I was playing before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnIBquHpBMA&fmt=18

What do you think? Which do you like better?

Rzr
03-03-2010, 04:02 AM
The squeeks are noticable on the kalas. Great comparison. I'm not sure which I like, but your playing is great!

Howie1947
03-03-2010, 04:11 AM
I think the both sound good, but I do tend to go with the fluorocarbon strings though.

spots
03-03-2010, 04:57 AM
Set A - the clear.

To my ear they have more depth, resonate more, have less finger noise, and overall are smoother sounding.

Good test, and nice sounding uke! But I am biased...

bbycrts
03-03-2010, 05:01 AM
I replied on the YT, too - great comparison! I definitely like the fluorocarbon better. There is a richness to the sound that's missing with the reds - the reds almost sound tinny or brassy. And yeah, there's the squeak with the reds, too...

Harold O.
03-03-2010, 05:57 AM
Yeah, Set A fluorocarbon.

I just put high G Kala reds on my Fender uke as an experiment. That set has a wound C and E. The squeak is not as noticeable as on your video.

Brightness has its place. As does mellow. But no squeaks.

dirk.li
03-03-2010, 06:30 AM
Yeah, Set A fluorocarbon.

I just put high G Kala reds on my Fender uke as an experiment. That set has a wound C and E. The squeak is not as noticeable as on your video.

Brightness has its place. As does mellow. But no squeaks.

The "squeaking" noise only occurrs when I fingerpick the strings with my nails (in this case, the fact that the strings are round-wound becomes very audible).
When I use the fleshy part of my thumb to activate a string, there's no squeak to be heard. During strumming, too, the "squeaking" sound is neglectable.

didgeridoo2
03-03-2010, 06:41 AM
The clear fluoros sound better to my ear. The honu sounds good with both sets though.

Ahnko Honu
03-03-2010, 07:07 AM
WOW Those Reds are squeaky. Mine don't sound so squeaky but I don't mic mine so probably can't hear it without mic. Mine are also high G and wound nylon not wound wire.