String Test: Clear Fluorocarbons vs. Kala Red on Honu Tenor

dirk.li

Reaction score
Aachen, Germany (As exciting as an empty parking-l
Hey guys, I've just received a shipment of Kala Red strings from MGM. (They seem not to be available in Europe, if you know a source, please let me know!) So I made a video to compare the Kala Reds to the Clear Fluorocarbons I was playing before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnIBquHpBMA&fmt=18

What do you think? Which do you like better?

Last edited:
The squeeks are noticable on the kalas. Great comparison. I'm not sure which I like, but your playing is great!

I think the both sound good, but I do tend to go with the fluorocarbon strings though.

Set A - the clear.

To my ear they have more depth, resonate more, have less finger noise, and overall are smoother sounding.

Good test, and nice sounding uke! But I am biased...

I replied on the YT, too - great comparison! I definitely like the fluorocarbon better. There is a richness to the sound that's missing with the reds - the reds almost sound tinny or brassy. And yeah, there's the squeak with the reds, too...

Yeah, Set A fluorocarbon.

I just put high G Kala reds on my Fender uke as an experiment. That set has a wound C and E. The squeak is not as noticeable as on your video.

Brightness has its place. As does mellow. But no squeaks.

Yeah, Set A fluorocarbon.

I just put high G Kala reds on my Fender uke as an experiment. That set has a wound C and E. The squeak is not as noticeable as on your video.

Brightness has its place. As does mellow. But no squeaks.

The "squeaking" noise only occurrs when I fingerpick the strings with my nails (in this case, the fact that the strings are round-wound becomes very audible).
When I use the fleshy part of my thumb to activate a string, there's no squeak to be heard. During strumming, too, the "squeaking" sound is neglectable.

The clear fluoros sound better to my ear. The honu sounds good with both sets though.

WOW Those Reds are squeaky. Mine don't sound so squeaky but I don't mic mine so probably can't hear it without mic. Mine are also high G and wound nylon not wound wire.

Top Bottom