Heat Blanket sources?

ZombieSaint

Reaction score
Hello folkses,

I'm currently finishing up my StewMac soprano kit and whereas it's not perfect, I'm pretty happy with it. Currently I'm working very slowly on the finishing portion of it. I'll update my YASMK thread when I get there.

But this post isn't about that, it's about my next project, which I intend to be a Hana Lima 'Ia kit. Probably a Tenor since that's what the book I got from them dress specifically.

I found on the Hana Lima site, plans for a bending jig and it looks well within my range of doing. The question I have is, "Where is the most cost effective source to get the heat blanket to use with it?" In addition to that, I guess I also am wondering about controllers and timetrs and such that you usually see listed with heat blankets. LMI has a ukulele heat blanket (5x20-something) that is around $100. However, the controller/timer they sell is well over that price. I followed a link to Blue Creek Guitars' web site and they had a controller for about $25 and they seemed to have a decent price on the blanket as well, but would a blanket intended for guitar sides be too big?

I can use any advice that folks are willing to offer.

ZombieSaint, I'm about half a step ahead of you. Completed a Stew-Mac tenor kit and have just begun a Hana Lima tenor. I decided to try a pipe bender before investing in the materials needed for a Fox-style jig. Please keep us posted on your progress; I'll be interested to read how you do with the jig.

I tried sourcing these blankets before I built my hot pipe unit. Search Google under silicone heat blanket. The prices at Blues Creek aren't that different from the industrial supply houses, however.
Seems a hundred bucks is about as cheap as is out there anywhere.

I got my heat blanket at Hana Lima Store, like santacruzer said http://www.hanalimastore.com/servlet/the-5/Heatblanket--(for-wood/Detail . Then I used a dimmer switch, a plug, and a 4 square box on an extension cord. Didn't use a timer. Works awesome! Just be sure to keep in mind the wattage of your heat blanket and use an appropriately wattaged dimmer. Oh, and those in the know would surely insist on the timer. A length or two of thin steel as backing while you bend helps, too.

Good luck! Steve

It's the whole wattage and such stuff that makes me slightly uncomfortable. I think I'm kind of leaning towards the Blues Creek option.

My dad is a dealer for Watlow and I was able to get blankets directly from them at his cost, but the markup is so small on them that there wasn't much of a savings. You have to have a pretty good size order to get anything more than 20% off. They are all the same so you can buy based on price. I built my bender wide enough to bend both sides at the same time. I bought a dimmer switch meant for bathroom heat lamps and used it for awhile by mounting it in an electrical box but eventually just hardwired it to a plug and monitored the temperature with a meat thermometer. The issue with burning sides has more to do with how you prepare the bending "package". If you just moisten a piece of wood and sandwich it between the blanket and the form then you are going to scorch it. I lay out a piece of aluminum foil with a paper towel on it, moisten the wood then wrap it up in the foil. The package ends up being foil, paper towel, moist sides, paper towel then foil. In the bender, it then becomes spring steel sheet, blanket, package, spring steel sheet, bending form. I also go through two additional heating and cooling cycles after I complete the initial cycle.

Also, I have two blankets and sometimes one just hangs out over the end because its too long. Just be careful not to burn yourself.

Andrew

I use a strip of clean newsprint between the blanket and the side to prevent any scorching or transfer of color from/to the wood/blanket. The stack looks like this:

stainless slat
blanket
newsprint
side
stainless slat
form

I spritz the side and newsprint with water from a spray bottle. No soaking.

Top Bottom