What is fair?

Tigeralum2001

Reaction score
I bought this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260554141041&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I examined the pictures thoroughly before bidding & read the description. All the while I was thinking of Elderly's definition (http://elderly.com/vintage/abbreviations.html) of used descriptions.

It arrived today with 2 long back cracks (5 & 6 1/2 inches long). No light shines through & based on the description they were likely repaired.

I would never think to use "excellent" to describe any instrument with cracks, repaired or not. Using Elderly's definitions, this would be a "good" condition instrument. I know buyer beware, etc., but all that being said I feel misled. Nowhere did the description talk about damage. In fact, it was worded to appear to be in better condition than shown.

I have contacted the seller, etc. What I was hoping for is some advice on conflict resolution. I am not opposed to keeping the uke, just opposed to the price. What would a fair price be? Any other productive thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited:
i would definitely return it. if the seller won't accept a return then i would contact paypal and dispute the charge because the item was not as described. if paypal won't do anything than i would dispute the charge with the creditcard company.

also they didn't take pictures of the cracks on the uke but rather just a general shot that doesn't show any issues

Last edited:
I think I would feel cheated too. Nowhere in the ad does it mention any cracks. He does dance around it talking about braces that were added. It was not in my opinion not accurately described.

Well, no light is shining through, yet. Here's the description:

EXCELLENT CONDITION KOALOHA SOPRANO UKULELE

THIS INSTRUMENT IS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION. THE SOUND THAT MAKES YOU SMILE.
STRONG, BRIGHT, TRADITIONAL TONE; BENEFITS FROM TEN YEARS OF THE WOODS DRYING NATURALLY.
BRILLIANT, SOLID, FLAMED KOA: TOP, BACK, SIDES, AND NECK, AS WELL.
BETTER THAN NEW STRUCTURALLY: 2ND BRACE ADDED BY BILLER GUITAR REPAIR INC.
.....SUPPORTS AGAINST SPLITTING BACKS.
KOALOHA'S UNIQUE ENGRAVED AND LOCKING TUNERS; AHEAD OF THEIR TIME.

THE CASE IS ADEQUATE AND IS PERIOD CORRECT; DOES ITS JOB, BUT IS NOT PRETTY.

THIS IS NOT A WALL-HANGER OR TRAVEL MEMENTO. IT PLAYS EASILY AND IS A JOY.
THESE GREAT PICTURES ONLY TELL PART OF THE STORY!!!

Notice it says a guitar repairer put extra bracing in there to prevent cracks. Could that mean it was taken in to repair the cracks you're talking about? If so, then there may not be a future problem with it. If it were me I would want some sort of rebate if I was going to keep it, but I doubt I would keep it. This rubs me wrong and I'd be pissed off. They were right about one thing - the pictures only tell part of the story. Nowhere did I see pics of the back - coincidence? I'm not an expert on what would be fair to ask of the seller, but someone here should have a thought.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Return it now as the seller offers 7 day money back, buyer pays return shipping.

I'm agreeing with everything said so far. I'd ask to return it. bt93 says exactly what I'm thinking. Good luck.

I would return it. But I would also argue that it is a borderline fraudulent listing - perhaps eBay or paypal can help you. If you paid by paypal you should have some form of protection, or if you used your credit card. Nowhere in there did they state that there were any cracks. And cracks mean it is far from excellent condition. I would return it, but if you really want to keep it, I would at the minimum want a refund of part of the price. Good luck my friend.

Notice it says a guitar repairer put extra bracing in there to prevent cracks. Could that mean it was taken in to repair the cracks you're talking about?
Hindsight says "probably." However to me there is a big difference between a preemptive brace and a repair; "prevent[ing]" cracks and preventing their expansion.

Hey Tiger I remember looking at this one they have changed the description from the start if I remeber right. The origanally had it listed at over 25 years old so i questiond them on the age, looks like my question was deleted from the listing. Send it back you almost paid the price of a new one.

Send it back you almost paid the price of a new one.
Yep... would have been worth it (IMHO) had it been as described. Old KoAlohas don't seem to be available very often. (I would like a round sound hole & oval sound hole)

I found a 6" finish crack on the far side from the other cracks. The seller refunded my money, including shipping & payed for the return shipping. PHEW! At least there are some decent people left in the world to deal with.

All in all, no harm nor foul (except for getting me excited about an older KoAloha). Plus... that means more money for another uke! :)

Return.
Get money back (in hand.)
Leave negative feedbck because item not as described.

But get the money back FIRST.

And send it insured and TRACKED. With a signature.

Glad that it worked out for you Tiger. I hope that he changes the description if he lists it again. It did seem kind of slimy. Any idea if he is on the UU?

This is a question for the luthiers out there. Is there such a thing as adding an additional brace premptively to prevent cracking? If it needed a second brace there in the first place, don't you think that Koaloha would have put one there?

It looks as though the seller normally deals in vintage nick-knacks. He did take the item back, after all, and perhaps does not know enough about ukes to know how much a crack means to us. It did look pretty nice on the outside, and his description wasn't completely forthcoming. Its tough to get an all positive 703 rating if you are a crook. I know I only have a +125 and have had to bend over backwards at times for buyers to keep it. I'm must saying.

I may be completely naive, but I have always thought that it would be safer buying a vintage uke from a respected dealer, such as Elderly. I know I would probably pay more that way, but would expect them to price it not to much over retail market value, and I hope they would tell you as honestly as a salesman can about its defects.

Last edited:
Don't be nasty. Just return the ukulele.... Pay the shipping.... and carry on. If you keep it you will think about the cracks every time you pick it up and what fun is that? :cool:

Don't be nasty. Just return the ukulele.... Pay the shipping.... and carry on. If you keep it you will think about the cracks every time you pick it up and what fun is that? :cool:

I agree. There's a good chance the seller didn't know all that much about ukuleles. I wouldn't leave negative feedback on this unless they had refused to take it back and refund you. They worked with you, so at worst you should just leave no feedback.

I agree. There's a good chance the seller didn't know all that much about ukuleles. I wouldn't leave negative feedback on this unless they had refused to take it back and refund you. They worked with you, so at worst you should just leave no feedback.

Yes, I agree with this. I didn't read the entire thread when I posted above, and was responding to the OP first post. Since the seller made it right, including shipping, then it would seem all is well. Negative feedback is to keep other people from being conned. This seller may have actually made a naiive mistake--or simply got caught and when called on it made it right. Either way, I'm happy this was resolved for you.

ya, budy, i am glad you can return it with no cost. At lease the seller took the responsibiity.

buy a different uke..haha.. and let us know what you buy.

I was watching this and asked them why A Famous Luthier All In Caps had felt the need to second guess KoAloha's decision as to how to brace their own uke design when he was a GUITAR guy in the first place. I didn't get an answer lol!

Top Bottom