Looking to get a kelii solid wood concert or tenor.

megamatt

Reaction score
But I can't find one anywhere but ukes.com, and they're outta stock. Any other suggestions?

I've kind of decided to go with a concert over the tenor, but this is going to primarily be the uke I take with me to play with friends, so I want it to have some punch and projection, any suggestions from those in the know? I really have no where to go to give ukes a test drive :( Also thanks Deach for cluing me into that ebay store.

Last edited:
If you want to go cheap but reliable, you can't go wrong with a Oscar Schmidt OU2 concert from musiciansfriend.com for only 59.99. I order my friend one and it sounds great. If you throw on some new strings (maybe aquila, d'addario, worth, etc) you'd get a nice rich tone. Nothing wrong with a Mitchell concert as well.

oops sorry i didnt read that kelii solid wood part :eek:

Last edited:
KoAloha or G-String concerts are slamdunk selections in the concert size. Everyone I've tried are excellent to awesome in terms of sound and projection. I personally prefer G-String concert very slightly over the KoAloha concert. If the price of a new one is over your budget, monitor ebay or other forums such as the Fleamarket Music Marketplace. In fact, there's a G-String concert at the FMM right now for a good price.

I have no personal experience with Kelii concert ukes, but Kelii enjoys very good reputation so I think they should work well for you too.

Thanks for the info GX, I'll start looking into those as well. Any and all suggestions from experienced players are greatly appreciated!

You may wanna check out Tangi Ukuleles . . . email or call him for additional info.

I'll second what GX said about KoAloha concerts. I've owned 3 and they have all been sound canons. I currently own the two in my avatar -- one gloss "skunk" and one pikake. If you want loud, then you want a KoAloha concert. They make great strumming ukes, but the string spacing is closer than other ukes so they're not the best for fingerstyle (although they're not bad for it), especially if you have large fingers. Also, in general the pikake (matte finish) KoAlohas do not have as good of sustain as the gloss finish ones.

I also own a G-string concert and mine is not nearly as loud as my KoAlohas. It has a very nice refined tone, but just not the volume. It's the only one I've ever played though, so maybe I got a soft one. The G-string on the FMM (about half way down the page) is actually a super price IMO. Compare at MGM's new price. The wood's not the prettiest I've seen though... My G-string's fingerboard plays great, with plenty of room.

That's my 2¢.

Top Bottom