My First Uke is coming!! Kala thinline travel soprano

vinisterz

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have been so anxious about buying and learning to play the ukulele. Does anyone have experience with this ukulele? I dont know if it will be a good starter ukulele but I figured rather than buying an $85 kala ka-s, might as well spend another $60 for a thinline soprano from MGM.

My first (and only ;) ) ukulele is the Kala KA-S from MGM himself. I didn't know that there were other ukes at that time, including different wood or size or brands. I just stuck to what I thought was good to begin with.

Rather than buying a cheap tourist or junk toy ukulele, I bought the Kala because I thought it was pretty.

The thinline soprano isn't necessarily better just because it's more expensive. The KA-S is a mahogany laminate, while the thinline is a soild spruce. Mahogany is supposedly the mellowest of most woods, and the laminate top helps it project more. The spruce wood used for the top is supposed to be bright. That's why guitar's have spruce tops. The solid top gives it a good tone. Yes, the thinline is smaller in thickness, but I've heard it punches the same bark as other soprano's.

Especially with the right strings and setup, the thinline is an excellent choice to begin with. Just be careful, because pretty soon you'll be wanting to be more and more and more and more and more and more and more....;)

Aloha and e komo mai vinny, that KALA travel 'ukulele is an awesome choice for a first 'ukulele, very small and lightweight but has a big sound. When I played one I was really surpride at how nice it sounds and especially how loud that thin body was. I think you will be very pleased.

Enjoy that ukulele. Hands down Kala's best value...all the thinlines...

Yeah its a good uke, i got one to stick in my bag when im travelling sounds so loud tho i was shocked when first played it. Has a real bright hawaii sound to it i find, you strum it and straight away you feel like your in the islands its so bright and cheerful. It is small tho, when i got it out of the bag i laughed i was like damn this is tiny i could almost put it in my pocket but after a few days it somehow in my mind grew so it looked larger than that lil pocketsized uke i saw the first day heh. You'll love it tho has good tunners and sounds amazing for the price.

excited

ukeCANjam,
I was in a dilemma choosing between the KA-s or the KA thin, but I was afraid if I go with the KA-s that soon enough I would buy the thin anyway as I liked it so much after seeing it being so thin.

Ahnko Honu and oz808
Thanks! I have seen dozens of video of others playing it and mike upton of kala presenting the thin kala.
It looks and sound really amazing for such a thin ukulele.

luvdatuke,
Thanks I certainly will, Im so excited for it right now.

I got my Kala Travel Soprano a few months back and it is my player of choice at this time.

Besides being so portable in its snug-fit case, I really enjoy its BIG sound.

I'm sure you will enjoy your Thinline uke.

Keep uke-in,

BTW I have a large Beanie Baby Clown Fish and my digital tuner in the case with the uke!

Top Bottom