Mainland Red Cedar Concert and Ohana CK 50GS Concert?

iDavid

Reaction score
Do these two ukes sound about the same?

I like the way the Ohana sounds on some of the You-tube videos, but I like the rope binding on the Mainland and the set-up!

thoughts?

david

I don't t know about the sound but that roping on the mainlads is beautiful in person. Pictures don't do it justice. I was blown away when my showed up.

I have the Mainland tenor and dig it!

The couldn't stand the rope binding until I got it, and now I am sold.

Ohana has a CK50 model with the rope binding, but it has flamed mahogony back and sides and not solid. I have 2 in the shop and they are georgeous, but the rope binding of the Mainland in the pictures I have seen do indeed look stunning. And I have heard nothing but good things about the Mainland ukes.

but

Do these two ukes sound about the same

If they both have solid cedar tops and solid rosewood bodies then they should sound the same.

But remember that individual instruments, even the same model, can vary somewhat.

If they both have solid cedar tops and solid rosewood bodies then they should sound the same.

But remember that individual instruments, even the same model, can vary somewhat.

How they're built and braced is going to have some effect as well.

The Mainland isn't a uke for introverts to be sure. It's loud and bright and brassy.

True, but Ohanas and Mainlands are built the same, with major differences being cosmetic. I was just too lazy to look up the Ohana model to see if it was the cedar/rosewood model.

All thing being similar and without one of each to compare, it seems like they certainly ought to have a similar sound from what I'm getting here.

My thoughts after that are that if you do like the binding on the Mainland it's worth waiting that little extra to save the cash up for it. It really does look quite nice in person and it is apparently what you really want. You might save yourself fifty bucks or so, but it'll never quite be the same. Don't settle if you don't have to. The set up is another bonus.

Though on the other hand MGM has a great deal on the CK-50WG that's got a case and a few extras as well as binding.

The Mainland isn't a uke for introverts to be sure. It's loud and bright and brassy.

I'm still waiting for my niece's Mainland to arrive, so I haven't yet played a Mainland. I have played some Ohana sopranos (haven't tried a concert), and was amazed at how LOUD they were. I played the cedar-topped one, which has a little fuller body than a normal soprano (I don't remember the model though... but it has the rope binding). I suppose the bigger body contributed some to that, but it seemed like it was mostly the cedar top. It seemed to "breathe" the notes, if that makes any sense. I hope Mainlands have a similar sound, because I kind of prefer the LOOK of the Mainlands over the rounder Ohana shape. I do really like the look of the plainer Ohana mahogany soprano (SK-35???). But I have recently heard that Ohanas and Mainlands come from the same factory, so I would think they'd sound fairly similar.

Top Bottom