Tuning the 2th G-string on a 8string.

Woxy

Reaction score
I didn't really know wich forum I should post this in, so I'll post it here.
Now to the topic. I got a 8 string tenor uke a while back, and the first thing I did was to tune of the "thicker" G-string. It was like "fake steel" nylon ( I don't know if that's standard) and it snap'd when I tried to tune (as I said)
I use a Cherub ukulele mate tuner, that goes by the vibrations, and it showed that the string was tuned as a C, so I tried to turn it up. But it still showed C, so I went even higher and it snap'd.

I got a new string, and of course the same thing happend. So now Ii ask you guys; how do I do to tune that string?
Im sure this is a really "newbie" question, but I can't figure it out.

the wound G is a low G and is an octave below the unwound high G.The normal C on a GCEA uke is middle C, low G is below middle C.
My guess is you were tuning the wound string to a high G and of course it broke.

That might be the problem. But how should I tune it then? I really need the tuner, because I can't hear when it's properly tuned yet.

are your C strings the same octave or is there a high & low ?
You tuner will work, but you need to be able to hear the octaves.
Both G's will read G on the tuner. One is below the C and one above.

The C-string is the same. One high and one low. Those two were no problem to tune. But the thing is that the G-string is lower than both of them.

It snapp'd kind of rigth in the middle. But the second time it snapp'd like at the third fret.

No.

I don't think it's too narrow.

I have no idea.

It snapp'd kind of rigth in the middle. But the second time it snapp'd like at the third fret.

No.

I don't think it's too narrow.

I have no idea.

I don't think that the low g vs. high g matters. I once owned a low g 8 string and I just ordered another low g 6 string. If you are using a tuner then it doesn't matter if it is low or high g. If you are getting c and keep going up, Reverse tuning and go lower. Sometimes there isn't that much difference in the two. If that doesn't work, then maybe double check your strings to make sure that you are stringing it the same way. I know that I tuned both my 6 and 8 string the same. On the 8 string I tuned all the strings in pairs even though some were paird and some were octaves of each other. The 6 string I had a low g and a low a on it I the paired strings I tuned both to the designated note. Does that make sense? So basically both g strings should be tuned to g, both c to c, both e to e, both a to a.

Yea, but the tuner goes by the vibratotions in the head, so it shows.. Let's say C (Because it's one octave lower on one of those), on both of the strings. Even though they're tuned differently. So I got the C-strings's perfectly tuned, but the G won't sound clean.
I don't think you guys understand the problem, maybe my english is a bit bad. I'm not "english-talking" in the first place :p
But thanks for the help so far, although none of your tips have worked yet.

Yea, but the tuner goes by the vibratotions in the head, so it shows.. Let's say C (Because it's one octave lower on one of those), on both of the strings. Even though they're tuned differently. So I got the C-strings's perfectly tuned, but the G won't sound clean.
I don't think you guys understand the problem, maybe my english is a bit bad. I'm not "english-talking" in the first place :p
But thanks for the help so far, although none of your tips have worked yet.

When I tuned my low g, i just tuned until i got a G showing up on the tuner. It worked great for me. Once I get my new 6 string in, I'll post a video up showing what I do. Also can you come to one of the minijams? If so we shpould be able tp help you there. All you need is a webcam.

Top Bottom