Mainland Differences

mangorockfish

Reaction score
Can someone advise me? I have two Mainland gloss mahogany ukes. Tenor and concert and love them both, but am looking for something a little different as far as sound goes. I would really like to stay with Mainland as I am truly satisfied with what I already have. So, my question is, is there a great deal of difference in sound between the mahogany and the cedar tops or should I look elsewhere for a different tone woood?

Can someone advise me? I have two Mainland gloss mahogany ukes. Tenor and concert and love them both, but am looking for something a little different as far as sound goes. I would really like to stay with Mainland as I am truly satisfied with what I already have. So, my question is, is there a great deal of difference in sound between the mahogany and the cedar tops or should I look elsewhere for a different tone woood?

When I bought my mainland mahogany, I also tried the cedar and mango and I'd say there is a difference. Any chance you can get out somewhere and try for your self? What do you mean by different? Do you want something brighter?

I was in the same situation recently. Wanted something on the other end from mahognay. went with the sprucetop thinline tenor and couldnt be happier. It's louder than anything and it sounds awesome. Nice and bright and a blast to play. Just my :2cents:

Sorry, I should have made that clearer. I think that I may be looking for something brighter. I just think I'll know it when I hear it. I'm just looking for a place to start.

Phanzo is correct. The thinline series by Kala is punchy, bright and loud. I had the tenor, and now have the soprano. But, if you like the mainland brand, I'd say the cedar is comparable to the thinline and you would be very happy with it's brighter than the mahogany quality.

I had a Mainland Cedar Concert and I would not describe it as bright. I thought it was very brash and boomy. Someone else has described it as brassy, which fits pretty well. It also had a lot of volume. Definitely a uke that demands to be noticed.

You may be right, SQ. I only played for a few minutes when I was at mainland, and I chose the mahogany for it's sweeteness. Which, may have sounded sweeter next to the cedar's brassier tone.

I'm very interested in this also. I am looking for a Concert at the moment. I have a Mainland Mahogany and it sound very sweet, but I would like more volume. I hear the Mainland Concerts are all pretty loud, so I may go for a Mahogany or Mango. Far as I can tell the Mango sounds like the Mango with a some bark to it. I don't think the Mahogany and Mango are drastically different int the Mainland line.

Here is a video comparing the Mango and Red Cedar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZfTYzS8tqk

Here is a video of the Ohana Cedar and Rosewood, which I think is the same as the Mainland Red Cedar in tone (same wood, same factory). The Mainland would have the cool rope binding and great set-up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LtrrsnYvmw

I can't decide at all. I have a Ohana Zebrawood and almost got the concert, but waited too long.... those will be out in about a month I'm told.

david

I can't decide at all. I have a Ohana Zebrawood and almost got the concert, but waited too long.... those will be out in about a month I'm told.

david

UkeRepublic had a concert model Ohana zebrawood at the last SEUkers meeting. He said it was one of only a few in the country at the time, but I presume it was for sale ($229 on his website). You might give him a call if you really want one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom