Luna ukulele

Darthouellet

Reaction score
Have you guys ever heard anything about those great looking ukes made by Luna? They look very nice but I can't see no reviews about their products on the net.

I actually work at a music store, and we carry the entire Luna line. For an 'ukulele made by a guitar company, its pretty solid. It's a good beater uke. Looks fantastic, sounds great, they're all good.

I have the Luna Ovangkol tenor and it is indeed a beautiful instrument. The design and wood grain is fantastic and I really like the abalone inlay although the abalone doesn't quite pop enough to be bling-y if you know what I mean. I wished it popped more.

The uke was dropped shipped from the Dean warehouse and I was pleasantly surprised to find the intonation spot on and the action very playable. The workmanship is fine overall except for a small 1/2 inch seem separation on the center binding on the back. The seller blames UPS -- not Luna -- and indeed the box was quite damaged when I received it in spite of the fragile printed in bold letters. I do not see the separation from the inside so I don't believe this damages the sound quality.

As far as sound goes, this is where the uke really disappoints. It's definitely muted as a previous review stated about their Luna dolphin. Its quieter then both my Mainland Concert and Ohana Soprano, solid bodied ukes to be sure, but also smaller bodied. The tone doesn't seem to resonate nor have the complexity of my Mainland and Ohana. Perhaps this is a characteristic of ovangkol but the laminated wood doesn't help. It does sound nice plugged into a old Crate tube amp though.

I didn't have to pay the $299 asking price for this uke but if I did, I would really be disappointed. There are much better tenor options in that price range in my opinion... such as Mainland or Ohana. That said, the Luna is also the only Tenor I've played. Looks are nice but sound quality trumps at least for me. The lower priced Luna Sopranos may be more competitive with other laminated soprano bodies.

I've always loved Luna guitars and the story behind the founding. The local music store carries Luna guitars and ordered some ukes too. The simple Honu Soprano really appealed to me until I played it. If it only sounded as good as it looked . . . .

I've always loved Luna guitars and the story behind the founding. The local music store carries Luna guitars and ordered some ukes too. The simple Honu Soprano really appealed to me until I played it. If it only sounded as good as it looked . . . .

Aww. It doesn't sound bad, says the owner of a Honu, just doesn't have a bright ringing tone. It's more of a cuddly lullabye type thing.

Aww. It doesn't sound bad, says the owner of a Honu, just doesn't have a bright ringing tone. It's more of a cuddly lullabye type thing.

with low g worth clears, my honu tenor is smooth as butter.

I had a Luna guitar a year ago, and hated everything about it.... sharp fret ends, glue inside, sound just so-so. Below par quality as far as I'm concerned. Sent it back.

Re the Luna pineapple soprano: the description reads "all mahogany." Does anyone know if that means all solid mahoganey, all laminate, solid top only, etc.? Thanks.

Usually manufacturers make a point of letting you know if something's solid, because its a selling point. But I've also seen solids without "solid" tacked on everywhere.

Judging from the price it's probably laminate.

Edit: oh yeah, almost forgot, posting the same question in two separate yet similar threads on the same board could be considered bad form. I'm sure you were just anxious to get an answer, but posting in one thread should suffice. Just saying...

Edit 2: There you go: http://www.amazon.com/review/R35EKBARFS1DQL

Last edited:
Top Bottom