Ghetto Ukulele Giveaway

Status
Not open for further replies.

GX9901

Reaction score
The time has come for me to send away my Pono cedar top tenor (I've got some rampant UAS problems). Rather than selling it off, I've decided to give it away to someone who can really use a decent solid wood tenor ukulele right here at the Ukulele Underground.

Before you get too excited, there is a reason why this is a "ghetto" giveaway so you will want to read and watch the descriptions below.

As for who will get it, basically if you can convince me that you're the person I should give it to on this thread (no PM's please), it's yours.

Some guidelines:

-Go for the uke for yourself. If you think your friend need it, have him/her post directly.
-Pictures of your best uke may help.
-Videos of your uke playing could help.
-It may not be a great idea to post a huge essay. If I get bored reading it, it probably won't help.
-I will consider not only what's posted on this thread, but anything I may know about you from this forum is fair game.
-I will make the final decision on who to give it to. If you're interested in the uke, post something to convince me. It's open to everyone.

I'll try to make this short and sweet and close it out by midnight on Friday, 5/23 and make a decision by Sunday night on 5/25.

If there is not much interest, I reserve the right to either extend it or cancel it. Hopefully it won't come to that.

Now onto the uke itself:

It's a Pono model PTC, with a Dean Markley pickup installed by me. Both the uke and pickup was purchased from musicguymic. Uke was bought in March, 2007. I don't remember when the pickup was installed, probably 5-6 months after buying the uke (yes, I probably should have bought a PTC-E). The uke is in perfect playing condition but it does have some cosmetic flaws. Here is a video going over this uke:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tNAV_tY8TY

So it is ghetto in the sense that it has cosmetic flaws but it is otherwise perfectly fine. By the way, in the video I mentioned the pickup being off-centered as a cosmetic flaw. Well, the PTC's replacement I got, the new Pono PTES-CE, came with the pickup installed way more off-center than the one I did, so it really shouldn't be considered a cosmetic flaw anymore.

Some pictures:

Here's the package (extra strings, wipe cloth, Herco, are included):
317676740.jpg

Front cosmetic flaw:
317676739.jpg

Back cosmetic flaws:
317676963.jpg

Closeup of back binding separation:
317676734.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:
But "deaching" is and will always be #1 . . . Before I forget, good luck to all who partake

Last edited:
That's a nice leather couch. Let me know if you decide to give that away. :p

Good luck to all the contestants. Can't wait to see the entries.

Wow man.... It's awesome to see others continuing the generosity. I was lucky enough to benefit from deach's giving spirit, and I want to wish the best of luck to others out there who might benefit from yours GX9901... I encourage everyone interested to get their posts in on this. I didnt think I had much of a chance, but it turns out I did, and now I'm rocking out (haha in a very elementary way) to some sweet uke music!

Good luck!

hey mate.

I dont know how i could say this in a nice way but.. I think the ukulele that your giving a way is a good idea. and It would be good in my hands.
Dont wanna write an essay or anything. But i do have skills yet not a good ukulele. My one is a tenor laminated mahogonay wood that was signed by jake. Its made from mahalo. So much buzzing on the strings.

Thats my story. You have a good heart man. God bless you.

Nam Nguyen
From Melbourne Australia

cheers

just give me a couple of days to make a vid
to show you why i need it

we need more generous people like you in this world ^_^

It's always weird trying to write something to recommend yourself... :D

I think the uke would be in pretty good hands if you were to choose me. So far I only have my one tenor kala which is signed by jake shimabukuro from when he came to Guam in March. This being my only ukulele I have to be careful because I don't want to rub off the magic jake signature. I saved up for it while I was in school over 2 years and bought it from none other than musicguymic!

I was really surprised when you said that you were giving that model away. That is the exact Pono model that I've been wanting for a couple years now ever since my friend told me about Pono ukes! The only thing holding me back from getting one is the fact that pretty much all the money goes to school. Let me tell ya, if I wasn't in school I would have UAS bad too hahaha!:rofl:

If it helps to see me play a little, I do have a youtube account where I submitted a bunch of tutorial videos in an effort to try to win a fluke from the contest at ukulelereview.com.. I didn't win, but a few other UU members did! Maybe in the future I'll get the nerve up to perform on a youtube video. hehe :music:

Last edited:
It's always weird trying to write something to recommend yourself... :D

I think the uke would be in pretty good hands if you were to choose me. So far I only have my one tenor kala which is signed by jake shimabukuro from when he came to Guam in March. This being my only ukulele I have to be careful because I don't want to rub off the magic jake signature. I saved up for it while I was in school over 2 years and bought it from none other than musicguymic!

I was really surprised when you said that you were giving that model away. That is the exact Pono model that I've been wanting for a couple years now ever since my friend told me about Pono ukes! The only thing holding me back from getting one is the fact that pretty much all the money goes to school. Let me tell ya, if I wasn't in school I would have UAS bad too hahaha!:rofl:

If it helps to see me play a little, I do have a youtube account where I submitted a bunch of tutorial videos in an effort to try to win a fluke from the contest at ukulelereview.com.. I didn't win, but a few other UU members did! Maybe in the future I'll get the nerve up to perform on a youtube video. hehe :music:

true.. i want to but it just seems really weird trying to say something good so that you are picked but heres mine..

I own a Lanikai Lu-21T and can't offord a better ukulele LMAO!! in progress of dragon and would like to play it with a different tune..

thats mine, one sentense - short and sweet... i have me playing dragon on my computer if u wanna hear..

haha good luck every1 :nana:

haha just for s&g's...

if you give me that ukulele i will cut some slots into it, relocate the tuners, open up the area where the binding is separating, and make it a secondary sound hole, attach some strap buttons, lower the action, and rock out on it on stage.

if it ends up falling apart, i will cut out a new solid body, transplant the pickup, and use the neck to put together an electric ukulele.

hahaha

sounds amazing, i wont be entering this, i have my heart set on a soprano. Great prize and i hope it goes to a good home.

hummm... well i think i may try to make a post and possibly make a video if i can get my freaking camera to work...

Why should i get this ukulele? Why? Because i am a musician who lives to play live, and having no ukulele at the moment is stopping me from giving that sweet island sound to my southern Illinois people. yeah thats right this southern Illinois boy wants to play this ukulele, what a better place for this little Pono beauty. It seems that she has had a rough life and i want to give her a new landlocked home. If you choose me i promise to take care of her and give her all the play and care she needs. So, for a needy musician, and giving the ukulele culture to a redneck society, i should get this ukulele.

keep on strummin,

Bassukuguy

possibly a video to follow after this.
COME ON FEEL THE ILLINOISE!

Last edited:
Ah, GX9901, you're such a legend. (Flattery will get you everywhere, non?)

I've got two ukuleles. One is a decent Kala laminated koa tenor (Similar to the prize of the "Places the ukulele will go" contest) and the other is a cheap Mahalo baritone I restrung GCEA.

While I love these ukuleles and play them both every day, they're not the highest in quality. One cost me about £70, and the other about £100. Quite cheap, but excellent quality for the price I payed. They're easy to play, and fun too. I don't have much money, so I couldn't buy a quality ukulele like this one, but if you're letting it go I may as well take my chances.

I hope this goes to someone deserving. The lucky winner has to send some love back in the form of a gift or a dedicated video :)

Can I show you pics of my second best uke? :p :D

It was the one I was telling deach about. The one from wal-mart I carved it. It was actually the one I've been playing for 3-4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom