PDA

View Full Version : Ghetto Ukulele Giveaway

GX9901
05-17-2008, 01:46 PM
The time has come for me to send away my Pono cedar top tenor (I've got some rampant UAS problems). Rather than selling it off, I've decided to give it away to someone who can really use a decent solid wood tenor ukulele right here at the Ukulele Underground.

Before you get too excited, there is a reason why this is a "ghetto" giveaway so you will want to read and watch the descriptions below.

As for who will get it, basically if you can convince me that you're the person I should give it to on this thread (no PM's please), it's yours.

Some guidelines:

-Go for the uke for yourself. If you think your friend need it, have him/her post directly.
-Pictures of your best uke may help.
-Videos of your uke playing could help.
-It may not be a great idea to post a huge essay. If I get bored reading it, it probably won't help.
-I will consider not only what's posted on this thread, but anything I may know about you from this forum is fair game.
-I will make the final decision on who to give it to. If you're interested in the uke, post something to convince me. It's open to everyone.

I'll try to make this short and sweet and close it out by midnight on Friday, 5/23 and make a decision by Sunday night on 5/25.

If there is not much interest, I reserve the right to either extend it or cancel it. Hopefully it won't come to that.

Now onto the uke itself:

It's a Pono model PTC, with a Dean Markley pickup installed by me. Both the uke and pickup was purchased from musicguymic. Uke was bought in March, 2007. I don't remember when the pickup was installed, probably 5-6 months after buying the uke (yes, I probably should have bought a PTC-E). The uke is in perfect playing condition but it does have some cosmetic flaws. Here is a video going over this uke:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tNAV_tY8TY

So it is ghetto in the sense that it has cosmetic flaws but it is otherwise perfectly fine. By the way, in the video I mentioned the pickup being off-centered as a cosmetic flaw. Well, the PTC's replacement I got, the new Pono PTES-CE, came with the pickup installed way more off-center than the one I did, so it really shouldn't be considered a cosmetic flaw anymore.

Some pictures:

Here's the package (extra strings, wipe cloth, Herco, are included):
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL66/846716/15024071/317676740.jpg

Front cosmetic flaw:
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL66/846716/15024071/317676739.jpg

Back cosmetic flaws:
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL66/846716/15024071/317676963.jpg

Closeup of back binding separation:
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL66/846716/15024071/317676734.jpg

Thanks!

deach
05-17-2008, 01:56 PM
That's awesome! You're "GX9901ing" a ukulele!

Howlin Hobbit
05-17-2008, 01:58 PM

:biglaugh:

GX9901
05-17-2008, 02:09 PM

Hey, you came up with the concept, so it should take on your name. Besides, "GX9901ing" is too much of a mouthful. Haha! ;)

david98116
05-17-2008, 02:10 PM

U are one funny guy Deach.

Kanaka916
05-17-2008, 02:11 PM
But "deaching" is and will always be #1 . . . Before I forget, good luck to all who partake

deach
05-17-2008, 02:14 PM
That's a nice leather couch. Let me know if you decide to give that away. :p

Good luck to all the contestants. Can't wait to see the entries.

Craig
05-17-2008, 02:30 PM
This is truly a kind act...

degracia
05-17-2008, 03:12 PM
Ahhh man that is one nice uke. The winner would be one lucky one :p

If it gets cancelled George, let me know and I'll be happy to buy it. I haven't used my amp yet :(

Phil Major
05-17-2008, 06:36 PM
Wow man.... It's awesome to see others continuing the generosity. I was lucky enough to benefit from deach's giving spirit, and I want to wish the best of luck to others out there who might benefit from yours GX9901... I encourage everyone interested to get their posts in on this. I didnt think I had much of a chance, but it turns out I did, and now I'm rocking out (haha in a very elementary way) to some sweet uke music!

Good luck!

grappler
05-17-2008, 07:55 PM
hey mate.

I dont know how i could say this in a nice way but.. I think the ukulele that your giving a way is a good idea. and It would be good in my hands.
Dont wanna write an essay or anything. But i do have skills yet not a good ukulele. My one is a tenor laminated mahogonay wood that was signed by jake. Its made from mahalo. So much buzzing on the strings.

Thats my story. You have a good heart man. God bless you.

Nam Nguyen
From Melbourne Australia

cheers

UkuLeLesReggAe
05-17-2008, 07:56 PM
LOL! its better than my uke, it looks soooooo good..

how much was the ukulele itself?? i wouldn't mind having it myself.. hahaha! i don't wanna be first ^^

NoLine
05-17-2008, 09:00 PM
just give me a couple of days to make a vid
to show you why i need it

we need more generous people like you in this world ^_^

davoomac
05-17-2008, 09:01 PM
It's always weird trying to write something to recommend yourself... :D

I think the uke would be in pretty good hands if you were to choose me. So far I only have my one tenor kala which is signed by jake shimabukuro from when he came to Guam (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXqURFybNzE) in March. This being my only ukulele I have to be careful because I don't want to rub off the magic jake signature. I saved up for it while I was in school over 2 years and bought it from none other than musicguymic!

I was really surprised when you said that you were giving that model away. That is the exact Pono model that I've been wanting for a couple years now ever since my friend told me about Pono ukes! The only thing holding me back from getting one is the fact that pretty much all the money goes to school. Let me tell ya, if I wasn't in school I would have UAS bad too hahaha!:rofl:

If it helps to see me play a little, I do have a youtube account where I submitted a bunch of tutorial videos in an effort to try to win a fluke from the contest at ukulelereview.com.. I didn't win, but a few other UU members did! Maybe in the future I'll get the nerve up to perform on a youtube video. hehe :music:

UkuLeLesReggAe
05-17-2008, 09:05 PM
It's always weird trying to write something to recommend yourself... :D

I think the uke would be in pretty good hands if you were to choose me. So far I only have my one tenor kala which is signed by jake shimabukuro from when he came to Guam in March. This being my only ukulele I have to be careful because I don't want to rub off the magic jake signature. I saved up for it while I was in school over 2 years and bought it from none other than musicguymic!

I was really surprised when you said that you were giving that model away. That is the exact Pono model that I've been wanting for a couple years now ever since my friend told me about Pono ukes! The only thing holding me back from getting one is the fact that pretty much all the money goes to school. Let me tell ya, if I wasn't in school I would have UAS bad too hahaha!:rofl:

If it helps to see me play a little, I do have a youtube account where I submitted a bunch of tutorial videos in an effort to try to win a fluke from the contest at ukulelereview.com.. I didn't win, but a few other UU members did! Maybe in the future I'll get the nerve up to perform on a youtube video. hehe :music:

true.. i want to but it just seems really weird trying to say something good so that you are picked but heres mine..

I own a Lanikai Lu-21T and can't offord a better ukulele LMAO!! in progress of dragon and would like to play it with a different tune..

thats mine, one sentense - short and sweet... i have me playing dragon on my computer if u wanna hear..

haha good luck every1 :nana:

NukeDOC
05-17-2008, 11:08 PM
haha just for s&g's...

if you give me that ukulele i will cut some slots into it, relocate the tuners, open up the area where the binding is separating, and make it a secondary sound hole, attach some strap buttons, lower the action, and rock out on it on stage.

if it ends up falling apart, i will cut out a new solid body, transplant the pickup, and use the neck to put together an electric ukulele.

hahaha

h-drix
05-18-2008, 12:11 AM
sounds amazing, i wont be entering this, i have my heart set on a soprano. Great prize and i hope it goes to a good home.

Bassukuguy
05-18-2008, 12:25 AM
hummm... well i think i may try to make a post and possibly make a video if i can get my freaking camera to work...

Why should i get this ukulele? Why? Because i am a musician who lives to play live, and having no ukulele at the moment is stopping me from giving that sweet island sound to my southern Illinois people. yeah thats right this southern Illinois boy wants to play this ukulele, what a better place for this little Pono beauty. It seems that she has had a rough life and i want to give her a new landlocked home. If you choose me i promise to take care of her and give her all the play and care she needs. So, for a needy musician, and giving the ukulele culture to a redneck society, i should get this ukulele.

keep on strummin,

Bassukuguy

possibly a video to follow after this.
COME ON FEEL THE ILLINOISE!

Jimmy
05-18-2008, 01:27 AM
Ah, GX9901, you're such a legend. (Flattery will get you everywhere, non?)

I've got two ukuleles. One is a decent Kala laminated koa tenor (Similar to the prize of the "Places the ukulele will go" contest) and the other is a cheap Mahalo baritone I restrung GCEA.

While I love these ukuleles and play them both every day, they're not the highest in quality. One cost me about £70, and the other about £100. Quite cheap, but excellent quality for the price I payed. They're easy to play, and fun too. I don't have much money, so I couldn't buy a quality ukulele like this one, but if you're letting it go I may as well take my chances.

I hope this goes to someone deserving. The lucky winner has to send some love back in the form of a gift or a dedicated video :)

degracia
05-18-2008, 07:06 AM
Can I show you pics of my second best uke? :p :D

It was the one I was telling deach about. The one from wal-mart I carved it. It was actually the one I've been playing for 3-4 years.

jh151399
05-18-2008, 07:26 AM
I am in the market for my first (yes, first) ukulele. I have made several "shopping" excursions, and through my research on the internet have actually gotten pretty decent on the uke, despite the only playing time I've had was in-store. I'm in the Arkansas National Gaurd and I work on post alot, so I can't bring my guitar here. A uke is perfect.

That being said, the selection in-state is alittle slim. There are no stores that carry good-quality ukes anywhere that I can find.

Why do I want a uke? Well, my ex-fiance's family used to travel alot when she was little. One of her memories that will forever be associated in my mind is when she was a little girl, her father paid for a helicopter flight over the big island of hawaii, and while she was looking out over the beaches bruddah iz's "somewhere over the rainbow" came over the headsets. We used to listen to that song all the time... she actually put it on a mixed cd she made for me when I got back from the army after being away for a year. I took that song and what it meant to her, and it became my very own. After things went downhill with us, I saw Seeso's "The song we never wrote" on youtube... I actually cried in the middle of a crowded computer lab at college. If any of you haven't checked out seeso's stuff, you should. It's very heart-felt and real.

Anyway, it was at that point (yes, seeso and jaaaa; not jake) that I decided to play ukulele. It's been six months now, and through all the bills and college life I haven't been able to shell out the money for a proper ukulele.

If this uke were to come to me, I'd play it everyday. I already have a list of songs I know the chord progressions to on guitar, and I think they'd sound awesome on a uke.

So GX, if you think I'm worthy of this generosity, I would be greatly pleased and post many videos of songs that hopefully would help other beginners out, like many of you have done already.

tripl3thr33
05-18-2008, 07:27 AM
It does feel awkward trying to recommend yourself hehe. But the reason why I would like to have the uke is because I always find myself teaching kids or teenagers some sort of song or picking at my work place. I always bring my kala to the local park that I work at and when people hear me play a song, they want me to teach them. Surely, I do but we would always have to switch off with having the uke. By having 2 ukes, I could keep my kala at my work place in the back and i would be bringing the pono from home instead.

I also plan on teaching an ukulele class during our fall program and since we offer free classes, I'd figure having extra ukes that the kids could use would be great. That way, they wouldn't need to have to go out and buy their own or bring theirs from home (since it could be a hassle carrying them as they walk to and from home). That's also why I'm trying for the ukulelereview.com logo design contest. If I receive this uke, I would be able to provide others with the uke that i currently have along with possibly another one that i hope to win :P

acabooe
05-18-2008, 07:35 AM
haha just for s&g's...

if you give me that ukulele i will cut some slots into it, relocate the tuners, open up the area where the binding is separating, and make it a secondary sound hole, attach some strap buttons, lower the action, and rock out on it on stage.

if it ends up falling apart, i will cut out a new solid body, transplant the pickup, and use the neck to put together an electric ukulele.

hahaha

Haha,

Sounds fun Nuke.
If ya do win, post pics when you are done, cuz I wanna see.

Aloha
Acabo'oe:cool:

peterandtheuke
05-18-2008, 08:16 AM
I think i'll give this a shot.

Why i would enjoy that lovely uke:

As of right now i have a small plastic(yes plastic) hilo soprano that has rainbows painted on it(yes rainbows), and i just got a hilo tenor from my freinds dad, wich refuses to stay in tune and buzzes like mad.
I dont have a job so money is kinda hard to come by, my family isnt poor but there isnt any extra money for a ukulele.
I dont have a camera to make a video, but i can tell you sincerly from the bottom of my heart that i have fallen in love with the ukulele, ive been playing for about three weeks, i love to go down to the park in my town and jam.

I can play I shot the sheriff, waiting in vain, redemption song, natural mystic, somewhere over the rainbow(iz), and wonderful tonight pretty good.

And currently im working on Hotel california, and hawii 78.
I would love the uke.

May the best person win.

degracia
05-18-2008, 09:13 AM
Ok well, IF I do even have a chance at this. I'd like to show you what I worked with in the past 3-4 years until I got 'deached'.

Introducing, from 2003 to today. The $15 FirstClass. (more like FirstA**):eek:.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r109/issdegracia/Uke002.jpg http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r109/issdegracia/Uke003.jpg http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r109/issdegracia/Uke007.jpg

degracia
05-18-2008, 09:14 AM
After a few months, the tuning pegs wouldn't stay in place. So I left it since the hole for the screw was huge now.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r109/issdegracia/Uke004.jpg http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r109/issdegracia/Uke008.jpg

Oh and here's the good part. Dropped many times (I was careless back then), painted, carved, etc. This was out of anger and outrage

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r109/issdegracia/Uke005.jpg http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r109/issdegracia/Uke006.jpg

For now, that's what I have to go to when I'm feeling lazy and I dont want to take the MK-T out the case. That's what I bring to school, in the car, etc. I only use the MK-T when I'm jamming on special occasions and for practice. So I hope, I can actually use the Pono on my amp and bring the MK-T to other places so I don't get embarrassed by that POS FirstClass.

Good lucks all!

Jimmy
05-18-2008, 09:21 AM
Ok well, IF I do even have a chance at this. I'd like to show you what I worked with in the past 3-4 years until I got 'deached'.

(pictures and whatnot)

But dang degracia, that's a nifty looking ukulele, no? I want one now :P

degracia
05-18-2008, 09:26 AM
But dang degracia, that's a nifty looking ukulele, no? I want one now :P

lol. I made the carvings just couple months ago cuz I was pissed that it wouldn't stay in tune, so what the hey. I didn't think it would've looked like that, but I still regret it.

GX9901
05-18-2008, 09:51 AM
Hey guys, thanks for the entries so far. I realize running something like this probably end up disappointing a lot of people since I only have 1 uke to give, but I will do my best to pick a good home for the uke.

By the way, you don't necessarily have to be someone who can't afford a Pono. Even if you already have another Pono model/size or something in the same class, if you think you can put it to good use, by all means let me know here.

You know, I've had this uke out of its case the last couple of days and played it quite a bit, and I must say, it sounds pretty nice! Very punchy and percussive sound and probably superior to its replacement, the PTES-CE, right now. Almost gives me "giver's remorse". :D

NukeDOC
05-18-2008, 09:53 AM

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r109/issdegracia/Uke002.jpg http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r109/issdegracia/Uke003.jpg http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r109/issdegracia/Uke007.jpg
thats the same uke as one of the ones im giving away in the "brotherhood of the traveling ukulele" deal. nice work!

degracia
05-18-2008, 09:55 AM
You know, I've had this uke out of its case the last couple of days and played it quite a bit, and I must say, it sounds pretty nice! Very punchy and percussive sound and probably superior to its replacement, the PTES-CE, right now. Almost gives me "giver's remorse". :D

:rofl:

Have you amped it up yet?

GX9901
05-18-2008, 10:07 AM
:rofl:

Have you amped it up yet?

In the last few days, the only time I hooked it up to the amp is to check the pickup. It works very well. I do run it through a pre-amp though, since it is a passive pickup.

GX9901
05-18-2008, 10:09 AM
haha just for s&g's...

hahaha

Maybe I should just send you some wood planks and 2x4's and you can knock yourself out! :D

ukulelemotion
05-18-2008, 10:11 AM
i am a performing artist who wants to start playing the uke in my set, but since i do not charge for shows, cuz i only do benefits and charity events, i can't afford to buy a tenor with a pick up. i have been wanting one for a while now and this is a great opportunity to get one. You rock for doing this. stay chill. God Bless. one

fresh
emotion

Jimmy
05-18-2008, 10:20 AM

Remember you're doing us a favour and most certainly don't have to give it away if you don't want to, man. We won't judge. Too much ;)

Dominator
05-18-2008, 11:05 AM
Kudos to you George. Deach's generosity is rubbing off and spreading like wild fire. Good luck to those who have their eye on this tenor.

rawwrrrilleatyou
05-18-2008, 01:09 PM
Well, I have just recently just started playing and truthfully, have fallen in love with the ukulele. Being a student, i do not have any money to buy any high end ukuleles. I do however, have a soprano lanikai and i love it [: I've been wanting another ukulele since i bought my first one to see if i could actually stick to playing a ukulele. The tenor is perfect for the Jake songs i've been wanting to play,to bring around while traveling to california, and other places. So far, i can play no woman no cry, banana pancakes, raindrops keep falling on my head, and love in this club.

Ukulele underground is awesome and gx9901 you have got one big heart [:

russ_buss
05-18-2008, 04:49 PM
i'm not entering this one but just wanted to add to the praise. GX9901, you is the man! thanks for spreading the uke love!:D:D:D

deach
05-18-2008, 05:59 PM
If any of you haven't checked out seeso's stuff, you should. It's very heart-felt and real.

Never heard of him. :confused:
:D

So Deach, if you think I'm worthy of this generosity, I would be greatly pleased and post many videos of songs that hopefully would help other beginners out, like many of you have done already.

This isn't my contest. It's GX9901's. The "9901" signifies how many times better he is than me.

IF you don't win, maybe, MAYBE, MAYBE, I'll send you something.

seeso
05-18-2008, 07:00 PM
This is so awesome. Mucho kudos, and good luck to all!

davoomac
05-18-2008, 07:10 PM
I just wanted to add to what I posted earlier. I was in the market for a new ukulele because I not only need another good ukulele, but I also need a good solid uke for when I start teaching some of the local kids beginner ukulele lessons. There is such a high demand for teachers here.. Theres alot of interest so I decided to help out. I also have some micronesian kids who live next door who wanted to learn too.

If I had two ukulele's here I could let one of the kids use one and I could teach them using the other. So I could definitely put it to good use! :) Thanks for giving us this chance George!

Rubbertoe
05-18-2008, 07:47 PM
i'm not entering this one but just wanted to add to the praise. GX9901, you is the man! thanks for spreading the uke love!:D:D:D

This is totally what I love about the ukulele community! GX9901 represents what ukulele means to me... someone who generously encourages the community grow and expand (without asking for anything in return). And this type of behaviour only creates more love!

Misguided Musician
05-18-2008, 08:01 PM
Hey I really want this uke. I've really only had two ukuleles and they were both pretty bad, and now I only have my soprano. I really want a tenor. I have been trying to get one for about a year now, but I can never get one considering that I have no job and not much money. My one and only soprano:[I'll post pics later]

davoomac
05-19-2008, 01:19 AM
This is totally what I love about the ukulele community! GX9901 represents what ukulele means to me... someone who generously encourages the community grow and expand (without asking for anything in return). And this type of behaviour only creates more love!

Right on man. Guys like GX9901, Deach, Dom, Aldrine, Ryan, Seeso, just to name a few all are doing so much for the cause! They each contribute so much whether it be tabs, lessons, or even giving back to the community! It means alot to me especially with how much I've learned just since I've been a member here at UU. :rock:

adellethegreat
05-19-2008, 02:18 AM
First, let me echo others comments in saying that this is what I love about the uke community... and you rock, man!

My story & attempt at persuasion as to why I would love to be the (so appreciative) recipient of the tenor uke:

I just got my fist uke 4 1/2 months ago, a cheap soprano. I'd been watching uke videos for awhile & babbling to my friend about the awesomeness of them & he bought me one for Xmas, in kind of a "Here! Now shutup!" move. I instantly fell in love, the moment I picked it up. So much so, that 2 weeks later I went out & bought myself a decent concert size. What did I do with the soprano? I gave it to my 10 year old & started giving him lessons. Now, I know you said not to post for others... but he's a bit young to be on forums yet ;) I would love to have this uke because the one he's trying to learn on is so crappy it's making it way harder... and I have this dream of us being the first(?) mother & son ukulele rock band!

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h197/adellethegreat/newuke010.jpg

NoLine
05-19-2008, 07:16 AM
ok here is my entry for the ghetto ukulele giveaway
you have no idea how much i could really use this ukulele
i decided to make a video outa it,
well here is my entry,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPN2OIoq-5k

and thank you once again GX9901 for being so generous,
we really need more people like you in this world
and good luck to everyone else entering this contest

tripl3thr33
05-19-2008, 07:20 AM
Right on man. Guys like GX9901, Deach, Dom, Aldrine, Ryan, Seeso, just to name a few all are doing so much for the cause! They each contribute so much whether it be tabs, lessons, or even giving back to the community! It means alot to me especially with how much I've learned just since I've been a member here at UU. :rock:

totally agree with you! some of us don't have the time, money, or access to take lessons and UU provides EVERYONE around the world with lots of information to play the uke. and just like what you and I are doing davoo, we can teach other people locally with what we learn here.

deach
05-19-2008, 07:22 AM
NoLine - Talking uke - so funny!!!

Sorry to hear about your car though.

NoLine
05-19-2008, 07:41 AM
NoLine - Talking uke - so funny!!!

Sorry to hear about your car though.

no worries, i blame myself for parking in such a shady part of san francisco
i shouldve known better
but im glad you like my vid Deach ^_^

davoomac
05-19-2008, 02:44 PM
aw man that sucks. :eek: sorry about your car.

Our family had our car stolen before. Apparently it was taken on a joy ride and the cops had a high speed car chase. When we got the car back it barely worked. The weird thing is we had a bible in the car at the time it was stolen and I guess the stole the bible cover haha.

Phil Major
05-19-2008, 04:53 PM
It's always so hard to pick winners for contests like this since so many people would make great use of the prize. I say everyone who could really use this uke should get their word out there and see how it goes... sometimes longshots win, and who knows, with the trend that deach set and that GX9901 is generously continuing, there might be others yet! Good on all of you, and good luck! UU is a family and its great to be a part.

Guting
05-19-2008, 06:12 PM
Straight up awesome GX, I could actually use this right now but I feel there are others who should be given the chance. idk I might change my mind :)

UkuLeLesReggAe
05-19-2008, 06:18 PM
Straight up awesome GX, I could actually use this right now but I feel there are others who should be given the chance. idk I might change my mind :)

hmm yeah thats actually a good point.. i take my entry out :)

I want somebody who needs it to win it, or somebody who can modify it well ;)

Jimmy
05-20-2008, 12:19 PM
What I find really valuable that this ukulele has had a lot of work put into it. And I really like that though it's a cosmetically flawed, everyone wants a piece. People need a ukulele and also people want a momento from the ukulele underground. It's pretty nifty.

It's hard to get a decent ukulele here in Ireland (I could save up and get another from MGM, but I'm starting to get taxed like crazy. My new uke got £40 taxed. That's 80 USD added to about $240.)

berylbite
05-20-2008, 06:12 PM
Arlighty!! I've made my video entry for the Give Away!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHcaQ6t7joM

Good luck to all the participants! :rock:

menehunenyc
05-21-2008, 03:59 AM
hummm... well i think i may try to make a post and possibly make a video if i can get my freaking camera to work...

Why should i get this ukulele? Why? Because i am a musician who lives to play live, and having no ukulele at the moment is stopping me from giving that sweet island sound to my southern Illinois people. yeah thats right this southern Illinois boy wants to play this ukulele, what a better place for this little Pono beauty. It seems that she has had a rough life and i want to give her a new landlocked home. If you choose me i promise to take care of her and give her all the play and care she needs. So, for a needy musician, and giving the ukulele culture to a redneck society, i should get this ukulele.

keep on strummin,

Bassukuguy

possibly a video to follow after this.
COME ON FEEL THE ILLINOISE!

Excellent, if it was mine to give away, bassukuguy gets my vote!!:cool:

menehunenyc
05-21-2008, 04:08 AM
By the way, you don't necessarily have to be someone who can't afford a Pono. Even if you already have another Pono model/size or something in the same class, if you think you can put it to good use, by all means let me know here.

Ok, here goes:

I already got a nice tenor tuned to high G. Would love to have another tenor with low g tuning and a built in pickup, (right now I use a BIG SHOT pick up that I can take on and off as necessary, but it doesn't transfer the sound as fully as I'd like). Having an additional uke with the alternate tuning in place will take my playing to a new level. when I upgraded from my daughters hilo soprano to my tenor, I heard new things in the songs I had been playing for years. The overtones led my playing in new directions, gave me confidence to play more difficult tunes, even to learn a song from one of Dominators tabs. I can envision similar breakthroughs with a new lowG uke.
Thats it... Good luck to all, and thanks GX for your generosity.

some vids: Joy to the world (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jJ-e9YWu2U) on my tenor.

Dreamy Kailua (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxaqYnl6hEA) on the hilo soprano

Bassukuguy
05-21-2008, 11:02 AM
menehunenyc, thanks for your vote hopefully GX takes that into consideration (and good luck on your bid to win this, your video's are really good). i will be making my video tonight so everyone can experience my crappy town and how much it needs more ukulele music.

Peace

nikolo727
05-21-2008, 11:33 AM
This is so weird. If you can take the time to look around the forums and fine my posts, you can see that I have been in the market for a ukulele exactly like this one. Weird. I have a Lanakai ukulele and to be honest, yes its nice, but its not really the quality of an ukulele that i would love to use forever.

It's really weird because I was looking for a pono, tenor, ukulele with a black headstock.

A coincedence like this is just weird......

Also, I have said this before: I live in Pennsylvania. Enough said. lol. Ukuleles are SO hard to come by around here that it is insane.

people heckle me at school because they have only seen an ukulele in spongebob squarepant's F.U.N song.....

A big reason for me playing the ukulele is because I love it.(duh) and i love being unique. Playing an ukulele in PA is pretty unique I think. And most of all I would like to show all these people that i can get somewhere in life. To be honest I hate getting like this over the internet, but ya thats my reason.

I know im pathetic and will probubly receive hate mail now but go easy, I was serious.

good luck to the rest of you who entered!

(im stunned lol.:eek::confused::eek:)

degracia
05-22-2008, 07:39 PM
Even though I'm likely not to be chosen, I'm still eager to know who's going to own this beauty of an uke :eek:

GX9901
05-22-2008, 08:03 PM
Hey guys,

As I've noted in the original post, I will make a decision by 5/25. Since it's a long weekend, I might cheat and do it by Monday.:p

If you haven't posted and would like to make my job harder, you have until midnight (CENTRAL TIME) on Friday to post here. I will "cap" the thread with a post tomorrow around midnight central time (that's 10:00PM on west coast and 1:00AM, 5/24 on east coast).

Thanks for the participation. Looks like the Pono tenor should end up in good hands.

tripl3thr33
05-22-2008, 08:17 PM
Even though I'm likely not to be chosen, I'm still eager to know who's going to own this beauty of an uke :eek:

ya i'm eager to know too. it's funny because i was teaching some people today and i only had my kala so we were just handing the uke back and forth. it reminded me of this thread and why this pono would be helpful.... oh the suspense haha.

cashew
05-23-2008, 02:17 AM
Heyas-- This is my video entry to this contest. I made the video yesterday, and apparantly 28 random people looked at it already (scary) before I could link it here thanks to a slower than usual processing time (and the fact that I woke up for work a little late).

So, here it is...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZyyGDtUdwo
Just so ya'll know, this is in one take, (obviously), I get punchy when I'm tired (I just worked a 12 hour shift before I did this, and I actually just got in from another 12 and I'm punchy and writing this.) and, if everything looks disheveled, my cat just pounced on the window and nearly killed himself, knocking everything. I lost the vase, I saved the Uke. Good choice.)
So, here it is in a nutshell,
1) I'm a ukulele player for 1 1/2 weekish... I suck royally. I acknowladge this and strive to improve myself.
2)I won't lie-- I'm not broke. I'm just saving up for a wedding-- My wedding, so any other Uke's could potentially cut into my very strict budget (Uke or Great Aunt Wanda in law.... hrmm... I know my choice, but since its a 'team' thing... Oy. Sorry Uke, Wanda's in.:eek:
3) I wanna busk. On the Staten island ferry. My kiwi is rather buzzy when played loud and even that is not too loud. I've heard tenors can put out more sound-- And a pickup with an amp can't hurt :) Apparantly on the entire Ukulele Underground, me and menehunenyc are the only people in NY! We're all NYC has! We've got to get the Uke movement started!
4) Truth be told, aside from all of this, which does sound a bit much, even to me (although its true... even the busking-- I can be either something awesome... or a totally awesome chubby uke playing target for tomatoes) I'd love that uke, and give it a good home. And, I'd get good. If I progress at the rate I am now, I'll be a phenom in about a decade or so. With 2 ukes, I could practice twice as much, therefore becoming another seeso or howlinhobbit or (dare say) GX in a measley 60 months!

Ok, thats enough of the punchy rant :)
Good luck to all who have petitioned GX, and I know any of us will give that uke a wonderful new home, and all the love it could ever need. (but I could do it better hehe.)

Thanks guys!
This is Captain Cashew logging off!:cool:

tuscadero
05-23-2008, 06:53 AM
I'm sorry, I don't have access to a video camera or web cam, so I can't perform my entry for you. But I'm sure you're familiar with the song...:p

to the tune of Ukulele Lady

A do-dooooo. A do-dooooo.
I saw the splendor of the tenor in the Ghetto Giveaway.
There's something special ‘bout the tenor in the Ghetto Giveaway.
And in the forum there is a quorum
who should the uke belong?
And in the glimmer of the cedar
they love to sing this song.

If you want a ukulele lady,
you had bettah go an' write a tune
If you want to fingerpick a Pono,
you had bettah make it snappy, too.

If you give me your ukulele
I can promise ever to be true,
and play no other ukulele when I ukulele with you.

Maybe I'll sigh, maybe I'll cry,
Maybe you'll choose somebody else
by and by-y-y
and give your Pono ukulele,
to some crazy wicky wackie from the U-U.
But if you give me your ukulele,
ukulele lady like a you.

thanks much and good luck to all :)

deach
05-23-2008, 11:26 AM
Hey tuscadero - are you related to Pinky and Leather?

tuscadero
05-23-2008, 12:58 PM
Well, they're sisters, so if I were related to one, I'd be related to both, right?? Let's say I'm more like Leather than Pinky, she was the musician after all.

nikolo727
05-23-2008, 05:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQuyaYHue1I

heres a pooopy video of me playing a couple months ago i think.

im trying to get better but i need some help!

;)

jello
05-23-2008, 05:47 PM
Here's my entry in a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MqHqYU3Rkk

Sorry it's so late. Been a busy week in school! (:

GX9901
05-23-2008, 07:14 PM
Alrighty! The time has come to close out the ghetto giveaway. Any posts after this one will not be considered for this giveaway.

I'd like to thank you guys for the participation. The truth is that I'm sure many of you who expressed interest in the Pono cedar top would make a good new owner for the uke. Unfortunately I only have this one to give, so I understand I end up disappointing many of you. For that I apologize. Hopefully it's worth it to help out one person with a nice ukulele though.

I've played this Pono cedar top quite a bit over the last week and I must say I'm proud to be giving this one away. Despite the cosmetic flaws, it really has a nice booming sound. Whoever end up with it should be happy. If you caught the pics I put on the "uke porn" thread, you would know that the PTC's replacement is the Pono Ebony Dlx. Right now I would definitely have to say the PTC is the superior sounding uke. At least when I compare the two.

Anyway, I'll take a couple of days to think about who to give it to and will probably announce it either late night on Sunday or sometime during the day on Monday. Again, thanks for the interest.:D

Phil Major
05-23-2008, 07:21 PM
I'm sure anyone would give this beauty a good new home.. I like the idea of using a this new uke to free up an old one to share with others who you're teaching, a la Davoomac, tripl3, and adelle.... I can certainly feel for Noline and his bum luck... and I really liked Jello's song, I hope you make some more vids!

How you end up choosing a winner is beyond me. Good luck to you all and thanks GX9901 for keeping the spirit growing!

GX9901
05-23-2008, 07:25 PM
Haha, I don't know how I'm going to pick a winner either. It's just going to be a gut feeling thing, I think. Hopefully I don't end up with a bunch of negative karma points afterwards.:p

japa_justin
05-24-2008, 01:17 AM
My name is Justin. I think that I deserve this Ukulele because I will give it love and care and certainly a lot of devoted time. At this time I go to Venice High School. Being a student comes with the constant burden of always being broke and needing money [and a ukulele!] I think that Iím at the point where I have surpassed the capabilities my current ukulele has to offer. I am a fan of Jake Shimabukuro soÖ thatís automatic points right there. I think I deserve this Ukulele. What do you think>? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppwa1RVRwIA

Justin

deach
05-24-2008, 01:59 AM
Justin -

Everyone here is a fan of Jake on some level :o no extra points.
Nice video :love: +1 point
Not submitting entry on time :( -1 point

GX9901 is a generous man but we'll have to see if he disqualifies you or not. Either way, welcome to UU.

japa_justin
05-24-2008, 06:00 AM
haha. thanks.

I'm sure he'll understand why it was late.

YouTube was being weird. The first time I uploaded it, it said that the title of my video was to complicated. Ukulele Contest? to complicated? lol. But yeah thats when I tried to up load it at like 10:30. The second time it took a really long time...

Jake Shimabukuro!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/japa_justin/l_23b0bb4e7b5c20ba9c2b7eb8f5740315.jpg

tad
05-24-2008, 10:08 AM
Haha, I don't know how I'm going to pick a winner either. It's just going to be a gut feeling thing, I think. Hopefully I don't end up with a bunch of negative karma points afterwards.:p

Deaching should result in nothing but good karma.

bsting
05-24-2008, 03:38 PM
Haha, I hope i'm not too late for this because I'm gonna bare my soul! Sorta.

This is my first post here (I admit I feel bad that it isn't something that actually contributes to the community). I just started playing the ukulele a couple weeks ago since I moved to the mainland from Hawai'i in order to attend law school (in SF)...I mean, I'm from the mainland US originally, but I lived in Hawai'i for five years first to get my BA and then to bum around for a year :)

But now I'm back in an in-between place (in NH!) with a lot of time on my hands and am desperately missing Hawai'i. So, I decided to take up the uke. I bought a Harmony baritone off craigslist (check it out here: http://flickr.com/photos/bsting/2479341058/) and am totally in love. It was the only ukulele available here via craigslist, and I thought it was a good start. I've tuned it gCEA with the appropriate strings.....but! It is kind of guitar-y and I'm posting here because I could use something a little more uke-y and can't afford (well, justify) to buy anything and would feel guility doing so because I do love my baritone. But, I would really like to have something smaller with a pickup in it..

Umm here's the part where I bare my soul. I don't have any video recording equipment, but here's my rendition of across the universe in a recording a made when I first got the uke. Listening to it now is damn painful. I swear I've improved. I'm currently working on When My Guitar Gently Weeps (overdone but hey, it's fun), and was going to record it but thought you might appreciate that I'm posting something I'm scared to share.

http://thisisambika.com/music/acrosstheuniverse.mp3

Thanks for listening to/reading me :) From my browsing, this has to be one of the kindest most laid back internet forums I've ever encountered and it makes me love the uke more!

Guting
05-24-2008, 07:04 PM
after todays meetup, I experienced the reality of how crappy my uke really is. LOL!

muddman
05-24-2008, 07:51 PM
I've got a Lanikai Concert, looking for a nice tenor. Considering Pono. Been playing uke about 3 years. I play a variety of styles, but also play SLIDE uke. Sorry, no videos of me. Will give it a good home. Thanks for the opportunity.

davoomac
05-25-2008, 04:22 AM
This contest is officially over! good luck to all those who entered and a big thank you to GX9901 for being a generous man!