PDA

View Full Version : San Francisco/Bay Area meet up?

Robster
03-04-2010, 08:19 PM
I'd love to be a part of another one of these, although with the weather recently I'm not sure if we can have this one outdoors.

Anyone else in the Bay Area interested/got ideas?

BBcakes
03-08-2010, 07:57 PM
I was on FaceBook and recently saw something on "Visitation Valley Ukulele Club". They just had a meet up on Saturday at the Vis Valley Community Center (SF). I wasn't able to make it, but hopefully they'll have another meet up soon! If I hear anything, I'll keep you posted..

lonsilog
03-10-2010, 06:55 PM
wha-wha-what?! there's a local uke club?! oh please keep me in the loop!

mds725
03-18-2010, 06:14 AM
wha-wha-what?! there's a local uke club?! oh please keep me in the loop!

Do you know about the Berkeley Ukulele Club? It meets the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays of each month. Check out the details here: http://www.ukemaker.com/ukeclub/

bennyandthesets
03-30-2010, 04:42 PM
Do you know about the Berkeley Ukulele Club? It meets the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays of each month. Check out the details here: http://www.ukemaker.com/ukeclub/

WOW, cool! have you been? is this something that might be kid friendly? I have a 5 yr old...

Abunai Kolohe
04-07-2010, 11:28 PM
Definitely interested to meet up. Hard to find other uke players around the bay area.

04-09-2010, 06:52 AM
Definitely interested to meet up. Hard to find other uke players around the bay area.

just look for the hipster asian/filipino kids. cheeeeeeee.....

Robster
04-12-2010, 07:37 AM
just look for the hipster asian/filipino kids. cheeeeeeee.....

LOL. True that. So..anyone still down for a meet-up?

IamRobbyah
04-13-2010, 10:22 AM
I plan on cruisin GG park on Sunday. Hopefully the weather will hold up though... Gonna be doin the *FREE* urban ziplining on Friday, but gonna have others wid me, so no go.

Anyone in for Sunday?

pnaichick
06-09-2010, 09:10 AM
Oooh! SF or Daly City area'ish maybe? New here.... very new..

Demoninja
06-14-2010, 06:10 PM
Have there been any plans for an SF meet up? I'd love to meet other ukers who can help me improve haha I just started playing recently.

pnaichick
06-15-2010, 12:46 PM
Yeah, would be nice to know of any. I think we are one of few though. :(

jjsdad
06-16-2010, 02:59 PM
I could meet on Saturday 6/19 in GG Park if anyone is up for it.

Demoninja
06-20-2010, 05:52 AM
There seems to be a little interest in an SF meet up. Seems a little ambitious but what if we tried to start a monthly meet up in GG Park or on Ocean Beach and we can slowly mature the uke scene in SF. If I'm gonna stay here for another four years I want fellow ukers to jam with haha.

pnaichick
06-21-2010, 10:56 AM
sounds good! ocean beach seems more calm and easier to get to tho maybe? it'd be nice to meet other UU'ers and hope to learn off ya'llz.. :)

sorry jjsdad - missed ur reply this weekend..

mds725
06-24-2010, 01:39 PM
WOW, cool! have you been? is this something that might be kid friendly? I have a 5 yr old...

I haven't been yet. So far, Wednesdays have been a difficult evening for my schedule. You should email Mike DaSilva, though. I think he'd be happy to answer your questions or redirect them to someone who can.

Demoninja
06-24-2010, 04:28 PM
So let's start planning guys! I have no idea how to do any of this and I'm not an amazing player so I don't know how well it'll go but let's just go for it.

Location?
Would you rather meet up at Ocean Beach, GG Park, or any other suggestions that are easy to get to?

Date?
Would Saturday or Sunday be the preferred date for a monthly get together?

Time?
Let's start with a general time like early afternoon? What do you guys suggest?

My picks are as follows
Date: Saturdays
Time: Evening

Anyone else see where I'm going with this?

mds725
06-25-2010, 09:51 PM
My picks are as follows
Date: Saturdays
Time: Evening

Anyone else see where I'm going with this?

Ukulele-fueled bonfires?

I'd like to come to a monthly meeting, but I'd only bring my Makala dolphin to the beach and I'd prefer to be able to play one of my nicer ukes instead. So I'd lobby for a primary meeting place that's a bit more protected from water, wind and sand (it could still be outdoors, like at Dolores Park), with *occasional* meetings at the bonfire pits on a Saturday evening.

Demoninja
06-25-2010, 10:16 PM
I am very very open to meeting up pretty much anywhere as long as it's easy to get to. I didn't really think about people with nicer ukes since I have yet to purchase a nicer one. If you can think of an indoor place that would be better because we all know how messed up the weather here is.

[g]
06-27-2010, 08:00 AM
Hey everyone!

Just wanted to give a shout out for the DaSilva get together. I have been going for quite a while -- they are really fun. It's a great space, all skill levels, all ages, and they play a fun mix of songs. I know its in Berkeley which is a little hard, but my favorite part about playing ukulele is being able to carry it while on my bicycle :)

pnaichick
06-28-2010, 11:39 AM
I was just at the AHA / Hapa music fest/concert at Stern Grove. What about a meet up there?

mds725
06-30-2010, 08:14 AM
;401474']Hey everyone!

Just wanted to give a shout out for the DaSilva get together. I have been going for quite a while -- they are really fun. It's a great space, all skill levels, all ages, and they play a fun mix of songs. I know its in Berkeley which is a little hard, but my favorite part about playing ukulele is being able to carry it while on my bicycle :)

Thanks for the comments about the Berkeley Ukulele Club. How do you get your bike from SF to Berkeley? Do you take your bike on BART?

Ahnko Honu
06-30-2010, 08:56 AM
Isn't there a monthly meeting of 'ukulele enthusiasts at a Italian restaurant in Capitola? When I visit my sis in Felton I'd like to crash this party. ;)

mds725
07-01-2010, 06:06 PM
Isn't there a monthly meeting of 'ukulele enthusiasts at a Italian restaurant in Capitola? When I visit my sis in Felton I'd like to crash this party. ;)

Here's the website (http://www.ukuleleclub.com/ukul.html) for the Ukulele Club of Santa Cruz, and here's a blurb (http://www.scruzwiki.org/Ukulele_Club_of_Santa_Cruz) about the club's monthly play-alongs.

[g]
07-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the comments about the Berkeley Ukulele Club. How do you get your bike from SF to Berkeley? Do you take your bike on BART?

Yep -- I work at the embarcadero, so I usually hop on BART with my bike after work. You can't bring bikes on BART till after 6:30, but it's usually plenty of time.

queequeg
07-04-2010, 12:57 AM
I am from Germany and will visit San Francisco/California in the end of August. It would be great if you guys had a meeting somewhere so I could visit :-) The Berkeley Club meets every week? So it should be possible to meet some players there I guess?

Aloha,
Steffi

mds725
07-04-2010, 04:10 PM
I am from Germany and will visit San Francisco/California in the end of August. It would be great if you guys had a meeting somewhere so I could visit :-) The Berkeley Club meets every week? So it should be possible to meet some players there I guess?

Aloha,
Steffi

Hi Steffi,

There's usually something going on at Mike DaSilva's studio in Berkeley every Wednesday night, unless he's on vacation or traveling.

Berkeley Ukulele Club
2nd and 4th Wednesday of each month.
6:00pm - Beginner session (Instruction for beginners)
7:00 pm - Regular session

Group Ukulele Lessons
1st, 3rd and 5th (when there is one) Wednesday of each month.
6:30 pm - 8:30pm, $10

For more information, and to download sheet music from the Club's songbook, visit http://www.ukemaker.com/ukeclub/. You can also email Mike DaSilva at mike@ukemaker.com.

queequeg
07-06-2010, 07:41 AM
Sounds good. I might make it on the 25th. How many people are usually there?

mds725
07-09-2010, 02:06 PM
Sounds good. I might make it on the 25th. How many people are usually there?

From what I hear, anywhere from 10-20 people. I don't know if there are fewer people in summer because of vacations.

[g]
07-18-2010, 04:47 AM
There can be up to 50 people on some nights, but yea it ebbs and flows. There is a pretty dedicated group. If you are in town queequeg it is really worth checking out if you have time.

[g]