Heading to Kauai next month - Need UKE!

Skottoman

Reaction score
Hi,
So I'm going to a friends wedding in April. She has asked if I would play some ukulele for ambience before the wedding.

I have 8 ukes at home, but am not planning on bringing one. The main reason is I really enjoy having meaning to my ukes. Purchasing a uke and playing at my friends wedding would have a lot of meaning for me.

So I am searching online and trying to find a good spot to buy one, once I arrive. I seem to have found Scotty's and Larry's music stores. Any feedback on them? I probably will look for a uke that speaks to me, and will spend a couple hundred for one.

Not sure what I'd like to get, probably soprano or concert, perhaps a pineapple shape, dunno.

Anytime I go to the islands, I see it as a good time to add to my collection, and this time it would mean a lot to me to have a uke I played at my friends wedding.

Recommendations for good uke store?
Cheers,
Skottoman

I haven't been there in person, but I have bought from Scotty's Music. Scotty is great to deal with and has awesome prices. I bought my Pineapple Sunday from him and will likely get my Sceptre from him too.

Scotty's is also where I got my Pineapple Sunday as well. But I'd like to put in a good word for Larry's too. The guy there (whose name escapes me at the moment) is great to deal with, very nice, and he has a great collection of ukuleles, a better collection than Scotty's did in my opinion.

How funny, I will be in Kauai in April as well. It is a small world after all. :)

Those are definitely the best two stores -- there are others, including a small store in Koloa town, but in my travels on the island, I found them to be the two best, with the slight edge in Larry's favor over Scotty's. But if I were you, I would definitely check both of them out before deciding on which to buy from. They both have a great collection, and your magical uke could be at one of them. They are not that far apart if you have a rental car, so I would say look at both first, then buy from one of them.

Have fun! :)

The small store in Koloa town is also Larry's. Sam is the owner of both and his dad was watching over the shop in Koloa town. There's a shop in Hanalei and they have a decent collection, but Larry's had more. I didn't get to Scottys.

Last month purchased a Kamaka soprano from Sam Bonanno at Larry's. He picked it out for me from a new shipment he had just received. Said the wood was exquisite. It is. . .
This sale was done entirely by e-mail and Facebook (he sent me a pic of the ukulele).

Thanks guys,
I will probably go to both of them (as I have a rental, and 5 days before attending the wedding). I'm hoping a Kanile'a or Kamaka speaks to me, but I just have to see what is there.
Looking forward to it for sure!

I assume they are easy to find? I'm staying at the Sheraton.
Cheers,
Skottoman

I assume they are easy to find? I'm staying at the Sheraton.
Cheers,
Skottoman
They are both very easy to find. Kauai is an incredibly easy island to get around on. They are on opposite sides of the island, but it isn't that far a drive between the two of them. Scotty's is in Kalaheo on the west side of the island (closer to Waimea), and Larry's is in Kapa'a on the east side of the island (closer to Lihue). If you are in Poipu, you are pretty much in the middle of them. If you are staying in Princeville, then you are pretty far from Scotty's but it is a beautiful drive, particularly through the tree tunnel. You could check out the Koloa store if you want, but to be honest, it really doesn't have the same selection as the Larry's in Kapa'a or Scotty's. Have a great trip...who knows, we may run into one another. I always stop at Larry's on each trip to Kauai, and I'm taking my Pineapple Sunday to visit her old home at Scotty's.

If you like pizza, check out Brick Oven Pizza in Kalaheo on your way to or from Scotty's. And you can't beat the frozen mai tai at Keoki's in Poipu Shopping Village as well. :)

OK, I'll bring this thread back since I'm leaving in one week...
I've researched and found that I will be visiting Scotty's, and Larry's. Then make my decision on what to buy. I HAVE to buy a uke, as I'm playing at a wedding and see this as an opportunity to add to my collection direct from Kauai...

That said, I think I'm looking for a Super soprano, or Concert, perhaps in pineapple form, and I think I'll spend up to $500-600 for one.

Anyone been there recently and know of any good deals? Can I get a Kanilea, or Kamaka or is there another local brand? I have 2 KoAlohas, and would like to try something else.
I guess I have to go and try them all out and find the uke that "Speaks" to me. Unfortunately it will probably be some awesome custom that costs $1500.... haha..

ALOHA!!!
Skottoman

OK, I'll bring this thread back since I'm leaving in one week...
I've researched and found that I will be visiting Scotty's, and Larry's. Then make my decision on what to buy. I HAVE to buy a uke, as I'm playing at a wedding and see this as an opportunity to add to my collection direct from Kauai...

That said, I think I'm looking for a Super soprano, or Concert, perhaps in pineapple form, and I think I'll spend up to $500-600 for one.

Anyone been there recently and know of any good deals? Can I get a Kanilea, or Kamaka or is there another local brand? I have 2 KoAlohas, and would like to try something else.
I guess I have to go and try them all out and find the uke that "Speaks" to me. Unfortunately it will probably be some awesome custom that costs $1500.... haha..

ALOHA!!!
Skottoman
You've got the two stores on Kauai. Have been planning that trip myself.
The only other thing to suggest is arrange a 5-6 hour layover at Honolulu. Probably just time enough to go up and see MGM.

Hey Fahrner, we're locals... :)

I'm flying direct from SFO to Kauai, so no layover for me. I've done Oahu a few times, so now time to go chill on Kauai for a week. WOOHOO!
I'm sure I'll go to both of those stores (and puka dog) within the first day or 2, then get a uke to play for the rest of the week.
Cheers,
Skottoman

Wow! I didn't even notice that.
Does that mean I've run into you and Union Grove or Sylvan?
Too bad about the direct flight. Love Kauai. The perfect place to sit under a palm tree and uke the day away.
Aloha,
Fred

Hey there Skottoman,

I have acquired my Kamaka soprano from Larry's Music from Mr. Samuel who bought Larry's a few years back. Lots of ukes to choose from Anyhoo, Samuel helped me pick "one out of the crowd," and fell in love with it. He is very knowledgeable, likeable, down to earth and a very good musician. Definitely you could feel the ALOHA in the store. You could check Larry's Music via youtube. ALso check out the local Kauai brand ---- Kamoa. It sounds good through the web. It probably sounds better in person. Unfortunately, i dunno much about Scotty's only through my personal experience. Have fun in Kauai and congratulations to your friend.

Top Bottom