Kala U-Bass

heymelbs

Reaction score
Does anyone own the Kala U-Bass? I tried one at a local music store, and loved the feel of it. The "rubber" strings are so unusual, but very expressive. If you mess a little with the eq, this thing can sound very close to a stand-up bass.

I have been wanting to try one out, but I don't suppose there are any dealers anywhere near me. Maybe in Denver (5 1/2 hrs away) or Salt Lake City (6 hrs or so), but not closer than that. Someday, I might just take the plunge and order one. They sure sound good and expressive on the video clips I've seen.

The guy who made the Ubass for Kala makes all kinds of custom jobs and makes the bass in concert size too! Check out Road Toad. I think the guys name is Owen Tate.

I have one. It's pretty cool! If you can afford it, buy one! If you can really afford one, buy a custom Road Toad!!!

I'm currently learning to play the bass, and getting ready to learn the uke, per my instructors suggestion. I've been doing a TON of research, and plan to start out with a baritone uke, but I definitely want a U-Bass eventually!!! They sound AWESOME from what I've seen on the YouTube videos!! I'd also love to get input from anyone who owns a U-Bass!

Last edited:
i'm still waiting for mike at kala to get back to me, i asked him if they would make a leftie model, he said they would have some news on that in summer.

I'm currently learning to play the bass, and getting ready to learn the uke, per my instructors suggestion. I've been doing a TON of research, and plan to start out with a baritone uke, but I definitely want a U-Bass eventually!!! They sound AWESOME from what I've seen on the YouTube videos!! I'd also love to get input from anyone who owns a U-Bass!

To me a baritone uke isn't much different from a tenor guitar and is tuned differently from "standard uke" tuning with the high "G". If you want to learn the uke you need to, at least, go to the tenor uke (which I did) if you're not sure you can play the small sopranos. The tenor, concert and soprano ukes use the same G,C,E,A tuning. I bought my first yke last week and bought a tenor. I have already ordered my second uke in the soprano size. While I was there they had a U-Bass in stock (a fretless one) and I was just awed by the feel and the sound. That will be #3 as soon as I can afford it. I may even use it on gigs that I used to play bass guitar since the tuning is the same and the sound is awesome!

Does anyone own the Kala U-Bass? I tried one at a local music store, and loved the feel of it. The "rubber" strings are so unusual, but very expressive. If you mess a little with the eq, this thing can sound very close to a stand-up bass.

I just got mine last week and I gigged with it last night. I brought my acoustic Michael Kelly along just in case all hell broke loose. Well, it didn't. All of the members of the band loved the sound. I agree that if you work with the EQs you can get quite a full and robust sound. My husband, a pro pianist, was sitting in the audience and he loved the sound as well. This particular gig has a small band area so it is nice to use a small instrument instead of the long necks I usually negotiate in this space. I will need to practice the shorter spaces between frets to get the tuning more perfect but I did not feel I was off the mark much. It is new so I had to tune more than usual but...I think today, after its workout, it will be more stable. We play bluegrass, folk, and blues. Worked well in all those genres. It had the smokiness I needed for Summertime and the crispness for moving patterns in Blue Yodel. I am happy and very pleased to have this in my collection.

I just got mine last week and I gigged with it last night. I brought my acoustic Michael Kelly along just in case all hell broke loose. Well, it didn't. All of the members of the band loved the sound.

Nice to hear that it works well in a live situation. Any feedback issues? I play in a fairly loud band but would love to have something that small light and unique.

Top Bottom