Humidify Uke without a case?

MichaelAngelo

Reaction score
I like leaving my ukes laying around the house so I can pick up and play whenever. I'm close to purchasing an all-solid Lanikai LSM-T, without a case. I'm assuming I'd need a case to humidify?

Let me know what you guys do, do you leave your all-solid ukes in their cases all the time? :confused::confused:

Thanks!

michael =)

We tend to leave them in the case but mostly for safety's sake and storage space. (They're too expensive to leave lying around the apartment unprotected.) But as far as humidity goes, we also keep them in one room with a hygrometer and a room humidifier during the winter months when it gets really dry. I'm not so great about remembering to soak the case humidifiers, so this has worked well for us so far.

Assuming Toronto is probably somewhat similar to Minneapolis weatherwise, you could do worse than a few hygrometers and some room humidifiers in your most trafficked areas. It's certainly doesn't hurt for our own personal comfort either. Much less of that winter itch going on...

I think Pittsburgh's lake effect is generally kind to musical instruments humidity wise. . . which is okay because with all the traffic problems and other craziness I'm trying to find good things to say about Pittsburgh right about now. . .

I live in Toronto. My hygrometer can read as low as 18% in an unhumidified room this winter. I keep my instruments in cases with Oasis humidifiers. A few hours sitting in a room this dry is probably okay, but a few days could result in all kinds of problems. Ukes are thinner than guitars so cracking is possible.

I live in Toronto. My hygrometer can read as low as 18% in an unhumidified room this winter. I keep my instruments in cases with Oasis humidifiers. A few hours sitting in a room this dry is probably okay, but a few days could result in all kinds of problems. Ukes are thinner than guitars so cracking is possible.

Cool, I'm in Toronto as well (as you can see). I'm going to buy a hygrometer, any recommendations from experience??? I really don't want to spend a lot.

My dorm room is full of aquariums so I may have a good humidity level already. ;-)

Full of aquariums? You're probably okay then. My hygrometer is just a cheapie from Menagerie petstore on Parliament St. It's for terrariums. $10 bucks. Music stores sell better ones.

Last edited:
Would a gig bag case with a string-hanging humidifier work for when I'm moving around? I'm not a fan of heavy cases.

If by string hanging you mean a snake thing then yes. If it's the kind that hangs straight down between the strings and is for a guitar it might be too deep to fit in a uke. You could also make one out of a little tupperware container with a damp, not soaking wet sponge inside and a few holes punched in the top.

Does the entire instrument including the neck need to be exposed to the humidity, or is it OK for the humidity to just come from within the body? Plugging the sound hole with a snake-thing in it... would that be enough, or does the entire uke need to sit inside a closed compartment of humidity?

necks need water too they get thirsty (okay humidity)...most times if dry the fingerboard tends to shrink and very pokey fret ends result..necks kept too dry also tend typicaaly to backbow slightly..which can cause buzzing

Cool, I'm in Toronto as well (as you can see). I'm going to buy a hygrometer, any recommendations from experience??? I really don't want to spend a lot.

In my experience cheap analog hygrometers are junk. I checked a bunch and every one read 10% RH or 15% RH too high at 45% RH. If you can find one with an adjustment screw and if you can calibrate it at 45% RH it might be okay, but really there's no logic in protecting a good expensive uke with a crappy cheap hygrometer. I have a Caliber III digital hygrometer and it seems to be reliable. Amazon sells it for $20.

Top Bottom