Favorite Solo Singer Uke?

iDavid

Reaction score
Looking for a loud, but not hash uke to deal with my rather booming voice.

Look at a bunch of You-tube and I seem a bunch of folk with Concerts.

I have heard that Mainland Concerts are loud. I have a Tenor and it does not seem overly loud to me, but I come from a guitar background, so it is hard to say.

I watch Ken Middelton playing a K1 and notice he plays with his thumb to get the Uke to crank, so I may need to work on that as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sWzJOkcEQ0&feature=related

However, I got my tax return and am looking to buy a Uke for no good reason, wait.... I have a reason. I need.... a Uke that cranks the volume.

I also have a Ohana Zebra Soprano and it seems loud to me , at least relative to its size.

Well, let me know your favorite Uke to sing with and maybe I can use that as a good reason to get another Uke.

Seem to me that Ukes are the new potato chip.

Depends on your price range, but I ALWAYS suggest a KoAloha. They are LOUD!

Have you thought about a resonator? They are super loud. Some 8-strings can also be very loud. We had both at one point and sold them primarily because they were so loud I couldn't sing over them. (I have a very soft voice.)

The Mainland Cedar Concert I had was also very loud. And while it sounded boomy and bold, I would not call it harsh.

All roads lead to the Red Cedar Concert Mainland...lol it is a definite possibility

What do you use as your main sing-a-long uke now?

My main uke is a Bushman Engelmann Concert Cutaway. It's solid wood with an Engelmann spruce top and rosewood body. It's as loud as my Jenny and has a clear, sweet voice. It's a shame Bushman quit making them.

My KoAloha ukes are by far the loudest I own. They are also the best sounding IMO. In their case, you get what you pay for. Absolutely worth the extra cost.

Is KoAloha is louder than Kanilea?

How are the friction tuners on the KoAloha concerts? I cannot stand them on m Ohana

You know, I hated the friction tuners when I first got my KoAloha. Whine, whine, whine. Then I got a tenor with geared tuners. How happy I was -- until I started tuning the tenor. Now I really like friction tuners. They're maybe a little harder to get used to, but much more efficient. You'll get used to them. Can't help you with any info about Kanileas. They have their fans though.

Loud, but not harsh? And not super-expensive?

How about a Fluke?

JJ

Nope, I am a wood snob

I have three Carbon Fiber guitars that all sound great and I also preferred the wood guitars.

Is the Kala Acacia Tenor loud?

Is KoAloha is louder than Kanilea?

How are the friction tuners on the KoAloha concerts? I cannot stand them on m Ohana

Yes ,they are louder. I have a Kanilea superconcert and three KoAlohas, Pikake concert, PS, and sceptre. Prefer the geared tuners, but I like the balance of the friction tuners.

Nope, I am a wood snob

I have three Carbon Fiber guitars that all sound great and I also preferred the wood guitars.

Is the Kala Acacia Tenor loud?

Not the one I tried. The kala cedar top koa was louder and brighter...more articulate.

Not the one I tried. The kala cedar top koa was louder and brighter...more articulate.

Same here. The Kala Acacia is the only tenor I have ever owned. It is louder than some of my sopranos but not as much louder as it seems it should be.

I also like Koaloha for what you describe - it's loud, and when you strum the notes all have good definition and clarity and even response. Don't like it for fingerpicking styles but it's a great strummer.

Top Bottom