Is it okay to leave your uke out of it's case?

gmak

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just recently bought a kala tenor ukulele, and today, a stand for it. Is it alright to leave it on it's stand for extended periods of time (covered with a towel)? I know of a lot of people leave their guitars out. Not so sure about ukuleles though.

Thanks for your input!

People vary in their attitudes to their instruments. Some will swear you shoudl keep them in a humidified case whenever you're not playing them; others like to leave them lying around so they can be picked up at a moment's notice. If you have cats/dogs/small children, or live in an area of extreme humidity changes, keeping it in its case would be safer -- otherwise, there's no real reason not to leave it out. Just my thoughts .... Enjoy your uke!

I would say it all depends on what type of musician you are. Myself, I'm a punk musician, so leaving my uke out of it's case for extended periods of time (without a towel) doesn't bother me. But maybe if you're wanting to play some clear, crisp acoustic stuff, you may want to keep it in as top nick as you can, and only use the stand for on stage, or quick breaks between playing

i do, i leave mine on a hanger and treat it as a decoration for the room,

Yes, assuming there is sufficient humidity in the room and the instrument is not subject to direct sunlight. It will get dustier and drier outside, so clean it and oil the fretboard more often. But yes, it's okay. Guitar stores have their instruments on display for months, even years at a time.

PS. It's is a contraction of it is. Expanded, your question reads, "Is it okay to leave your uke out of it is case?" Which makes no sense. You probably meant to write its, the possessive form of the pronoun - as in his, hers and its. No apostrophe is used in the possessive.

I once left my bushman out of my case.. a flying xbox controller later it had 2 distinct cracks in it. Now it stays in its case unless i'm playing it. Same with my black Lanakai. My good ukes are all in the cases, my beater upper is what is always out, and it can take a beating let me tell you.

With a couple of warnings, leave it out and enjoy its looks even when you're not playing it. If it's out you can easily grab it and play for a minute or two: if the uke is in its case you're less likely to do that.
Those warnings:
Keep it away from heat or air conditioning ducts/radiators etc
Keep it away from direct sunlight
Keep it where people, pets, children won't bump into it

I have lots of musical instruments of all types, some of which are rather costly. I refuse to be so worried about their care that it detracts from my enjoyment of them . Some reasonable precautions are good, but don't get too anal about it.

PS. It's is a contraction of it is. Expanded, your question reads, "Is it okay to leave your uke out of it is case?" Which makes no sense. You probably meant to write its, the possessive form of the pronoun - as in his, hers and its. No apostrophe is used in the possessive.

As a follow up to your other post regarding "internets" where I mention LOLspeak - This thread simply uses improper grammar, and I wholly support your instruction here. :D

(Sorry, I just happened to read this thread immediately after the other)

Jason

Leave it out if you want. It's yours. Just remember you could sit on it. Your child -- if you have one -- could smash it. You don't say where you live, but low humidity could possibly put a crack in it. The book that falls off the shelf could also fall on the ukulele. There are lots of good reasons not to put it in a case. But for me the better reasons are for keeping it IN the case.

(I totally understood your question the way you asked it, also.)

thanks everyone!
here in hawaii, the humidity changes pretty quickly, so it might be safer for me to leave it in its case right?

I'm no expert. I leave my uke out all the time. I notice the differnt tone when the central heating's been on or the tempreture is low. It gets abused by my son who believes his Jimmy Hendrix impression is uniquely entertaining. The dog has knocked it overseveral times - that cat has hidden behind it for protection before the dog has knocked it over. Kids have plucked at it and dragged it.

It has a few minor dings in it, a bit of varnish of the edge of the head, but on the whole it's remarkably robust, sounds OK, still shiny and tolerant of the abuse it's had. It's a living instrument, used and abused daily.

Everybody is different, some Ukes need worshiping - I'm sure you will accord your uke with a level of reverence that you feel comfortable with.

Stew

Well, I have a quick rule of thumb. Treat your ukulele like a child with no good sense, protect it from getting hurt if possible, and keep it in the same kind of environment that you are comfortable in. Too cold?...turn on the heat. Too hot?...cool it down. Getting static shocks?...turn on the humidifier! Also, you paid good money for those cases so use them as needed!

Mine doesn't have a case!

Granted, I live in the UK and temperature / humidity isn't an issue.

My Ohana sits on it's stand right next to the sofa so I can get hold of it whenever I've got a few minutes.

I treat it the same way as all my instruments. (They aren't furniture, they were bought to be used and enjoyed.) I figure a downside of using and enjoying something will ultimately mean dings and scratches. The first scratch always stings, but then the knocks turn into character!

I must admit though, I clean my Ohana and the better of my guitars more regularly (they look great when they're shiny!)

I take mine out of the case to play it.
I live in earthquake country of SoCal and don't want it flying around nor things flying in to it.
I take my chances with the fluke, it sits next to my computer desk for those slow downloading moments.

Top Bottom