I need your "I broke my uke" stories

salukulady

Reaction score
Recently our friend Phanzo sat on his uke. Ukecantdoit backed over his uke with a car. I am attempting to write a ditty about broken ukes and would like your stories. Please give me a short paragraph about your misadventures with a uke. As painful as it might be to relive these accidents, I'd like to include as many as possible in my song.

My girlfriend sat on my Harmony soprano, breaking the neck off and splitting the body along the sides. Also broke the plastic fretboard. Glued it back together since, and it's holding up well. But I picked up a Makala dolphin yesterday as a better beater.

Friend beat me in a game of Xbox, tossed my controller onto my bed perfectly onto the top of my uke. It was fine though.. or so I thought.

3 days later I woke up and started playing it. The sound was off. I inspected it all over and it seemed fine so I didn't think of anything of it other then I was going crazy. I took a shower and walked into my bedroom and saw 2 cracks in the light. Got it fixed, cracks aren't feelable but one is noticeable in the right light. Sound is still great though.

Well there was this one time...

that i left my double puka solid koa ukulele out in my classroom. It was snowing and it was cold. very cold. 15 degrees. I took a load of work out to the car and when i returned to the building i doscovered that the doors were already locked. i was not able to get back into the school but I thought no worries, i'll just get my uke tomorrow and I have a few more at my house. Well lo and behold I wasn't able to get back to qork for 4 days and I found out that the heat is turned off at night. So my uke had developed two cracks on it. One along the back and one along the fret board. weather is brutal to ukes.

I was jamming out with a buddy of mine, and I was playing some percussion on the top of my Bushman baritone uke. Put a nice, solid split in the wood.

Made me sad, because it was a nice uke to jam out on. Rest in peace, little buddy! My first baritone uke!

HEY UU
my broke uke story goes like this i was walkin down the street in longBeach CA wen i got in to a fight with a crip as i started to punch his face in one of his friends came over picked my uke up off the ground n broke it over my head needless to say my ukulele was not the only thing that got broke that day

CAZ

HEY UU
my broke uke story goes like this i was walkin down the street in longBeach CA wen i got in to a fight with a crip as i started to punch his face in one of his friends came over picked my uke up off the ground n broke it over my head needless to say my ukulele was not the only thing that got broke that day

CAZ
Interesting story, Caz. You must have been in very north Long Beach, since crip territory is in Los Angeles.

I had -- and may still have in a box somewhere that I need to excavate -- one of the original KoAloha ukuleles. Almost ten years ago, my old friend Brad brought it from Hawaii for me as a gift when he was visiting on leave. I loved it -- literally -- to death. With the right length of thumbnail and some imagination, it was surprisingly easy to play. Unfortunately, I got too comfortable and began a bad habit of using a soft guitar pick. It really made the little bugger sing, but one afternoon I made the mistake of digging in too much and broke the bridge. Last I remember, I was really bummed out, put the whole kit and kaboodle in a Ziploc bag and packed it away.

These are some sad sad stories. Not that I enjoy them or anything, but there is some comfort in knowing one is not alone. Misery loves company, I guess. These little instruments are such fragile creatures! Do you suppose they have these issues over at mandolinunderground or dulcimerunderground or panfluteunderground?

Can't wait to hear your song of lament, Sally!

I had just put my uke down on top of it's case when I accidentally knocked a glass maple leaf shape jar of maple syrup on top of it from my desk. I was showing the jar to a friend. It was a gift I got my husband. It cracked my uke pretty badly.

I had just put my uke down on top of it's case when I accidentally knocked a glass maple leaf shape jar of maple syrup on top of it from my desk. I was showing the jar to a friend. It was a gift I got my husband. It cracked my uke pretty badly.
That's a good one, and soooo Canadian of you, eh?

Top Bottom