ebook from uke hunt

amie

Reaction score
Hi. Someone recommended this ebook from ukulele hunt before and I've finally gotten around to checking it out: http://howtoplayukulele.com/how-to-play-blues-ukulele/

I've been playing Nelson's fingerstyle and also bought fred sokolow's blues uke book...nelson's is very easy to follow because of the performance notes in the end, but the blues book is certainly more advanced and doesn't give you tips on which fingers to use, etc. I was wondering if anyone has purchased the ebook and how helpful was it?

Also, I'm interested in this one: http://howtoplayukulele.com/how-to-play-ukulele-strums/

I recommended the UkeHunt Blues Book last week. It doesn't tell you which fingers to use on the Right hand, but so far, I haven't found that necessary. I have only played through maybe a third of it so far, but read the whole thing. A lot to learn.

Yes, I recently got Woodshed's (uke hunt) free fingerstyle accompanyment short course and it is excellent. I still have to work on it but it's very well put together. The only downer I find is that they are a bit pricey considering there's no printing or binding going in to them. I mean they are priced like printed books.

On the cost issue, I thought the PDF downloads were more expensive than some hard copy books, but I consider part of the price to be my support for the UkeHunt site. Its not cheap to run such a website, and its free to go there. Its sort of like supporting this site by buying the cool shirts, hats, CDs, and other stuff.

I don't have it, so can't comment - though I've considered buying it.

Regarding the price - true, there's no printing/production costs involved for an ebook.

However, I think I remember reading somewhere that he was able to quit his job and work on Uke Hunt full time, so he's trying to make a living at this. He's also putting a lot of content on the Uke Hunt site. It takes time to do that, write the books, create the mp3s, and provide support for any download problems, answer questions, reply to any refund requests, etc.

Running a full time site can become a full time job and the webmaster needs to make a living.

Jason

Yes, I recently got Woodshed's (uke hunt) free fingerstyle accompanyment short course and it is excellent. I still have to work on it but it's very well put together. The only downer I find is that they are a bit pricey considering there's no printing or binding going in to them. I mean they are priced like printed books.

That is free? Can I have a link to that? Never heard of it.

Originally Posted by Gipserio

That is free? Can I have a link to that? Never heard of it.

Amie

Yes, there is (or was) a fingerstyle accompanyment course, but Uke Hunt site has just been updated and I cant find it now. It's not very extense but is good stuff. I've got the PDF in an email, so I can forward it to you if you like.

Amie

Yes, there is (or was) a fingerstyle accompanyment course, but Uke Hunt site has just been updated and I cant find it now. It's not very extense but is good stuff. I've got the PDF in an email, so I can forward it to you if you like.

Hope you got my private message. I gave you my e-mail. Thanks.

I'm curious about the strumming book as well, please keep us posted if you end up getting it. I am a poor college student so I have to be picky on what I spend my $ on =)

I'm curious about the strumming book as well, please keep us posted if you end up getting it. I am a poor college student so I have to be picky on what I spend my $ on =)

Don't forget that there are also a lot of free individual lessons, tabs, and tips on the UkeHunt site. While not a book, its worth spending some time there.

The Ukulelehunt strums book and the fingerstyle book are not free. They are a tad pricey, but realize that they aren't just ebooks but have video, audio files etc too. Given that he is maintaining his own website with whatever he makes from this, please do not pass these around. Rather, support Woodshed if you want these books by paying for them. I have bought the Blues ebook from him and edited it to add the examples inline on my own initiative and he sent me the strums book in appreciation. I am working through editing it slowly (a lot more examples!), and he seems like a genuinely nice guy who is doing enough for the community. Just pay for the books if you want them, same way that people pay for UU by buying t-shirts, strings etc from the store here.

Last edited:
Not sure if Al has another fingerstyle book, but he had a short fingerpicking guide available not too long ago that was free. At one point you could get it by joining his list, and I recently got it from his site without joining. (I think I'm on his list anyway, since I bought his Christmas ebook)

I don't think the other folks in this thread are talking about stealing Al's stuff.

Jason

The Ukulelehunt strums book and the fingerstyle book are not free. They are a tad pricey, but realize that they aren't just ebooks but have video, audio files etc too. Given that he is maintaining his own website with whatever he makes from this, please do not pass these around. Rather, support Woodshed if you want these books by paying for them. I have bought the Blues ebook from him and edited it to add the examples inline on my own initiative and he sent me the strums book in appreciation. I am working through editing it slowly (a lot more examples!), and he seems like a genuinely nice guy who is doing enough for the community. Just pay for the books if you want them, same way that people pay for UU by buying t-shirts, strings etc from the store here.

Hi Blueswithafeeling,

May I just clarify here. I agree with everything you have written here about Ukehunt and Alistair (Woodshed). What I offered to pass on to Amie is, as Jason Paul has pointed out, a little fingerstyle guide that was (is?) given free by Alistair. At the end of the short course he very generously sent me all of the course on a pdf saying I should feel free to pass it on to whoever I felt like. I believe this is to be made into an ebook in the future.

I hope this clarifies this as I would not do anything to harm those who are helping us with our playing (who would?)

regards

Amie, did you get my mail?

Hi Blueswithafeeling,

May I just clarify here. I agree with everything you have written here about Ukehunt and Alistair (Woodshed). What I offered to pass on to Amie is, as Jason Paul has pointed out, a little fingerstyle guide that was (is?) given free by Alistair. At the end of the short course he very generously sent me all of the course on a pdf saying I should feel free to pass it on to whoever I felt like. I believe this is to be made into an ebook in the future.

I hope this clarifies this as I would not do anything to harm those who are helping us with our playing (who would?)

regards

Amie, did you get my mail?

Thanks Gipserio, I got it. ;)

I've been a long time subscriber to ukehunt and here's the part of the email I received from Al regarding the ebook entitled "How to Play Fingerpicking Accompaniment" . . .

As promised, here's a pdf file containing all the lessons and examples. Feel free to print it out, take it to the beach, show it to friends or whatever you see fit.

How To Play Fingerpicking Accompaniment

If you missed any of the videos you can download them on this page.

Fingerpicking Videos

I'm hoping to expand this course into a full ebook in the future. If you've got anything you'd like to see in that book or you have any general comments about the series send me an email - I'd love to hear your ideas.

Now you've got the fingerpicking skills to show off, you'll want so equally impressive chord progressions to go with it. How To Play Ukulele Chord Progressions is jam packed with chord ideas - including the favourite chord tricks of The Beatles. Here's what people are saying about it:

"This is the first time someone's explained basic chord formation and scales and transposition in a way that makes sense to me" Mike Dickison of Mike's Ukulele Page

"Your ‘How to play ukulele chord progressions’ is excellent. It cleared up a number of things for me. I’m just getting into music theory and having something that relates directly to the ukulele was very useful." Chris Double

"The "How to Play Ukulele Chord Progressions" was great. I got a better sense of hamonized chords, and their fretboard relationship. The feelings the sounds generate for different chords, and how the tension is built and released really made sense. This ebook is key to understanding chord relationships, and I can take my music to whole new levels. " Terry Truhart

If following this course has given made you super-confident in your fingerpicking, you might want to tackle my How To Play Ragtime Ukulele ebook. The arrangements are a real challenge but a lot of fun to play - not to mention impressive.

Thanks for taking part and happy ukeing,

Al

I bought the How-to play Blues ukulele from Ukehunt, I have to say it is worth the money. I'm a true beginner(the Uke is my very first forray into music.) and I've found it helpful.
It is well laid out, and easy to understand. The book really focuses on the basics and then shows you how and where you can expand on your playing. I really liked the mp3s he includes with the book, for every concept he shows you, there is a mp3 example. I found that useful. Is it worth 17 bucks, I think so. i've had fun learning to play the blues and for me that is all that matters.

The Blues Scale post on ukehunt is a stripped down version of what you can expect from the ebook, imo:
http://ukulelehunt.com/2008/07/09/ukulelebluesscale/

Also: Hi, I'm frostyant an new Uker.

Thanks Kanaka 916, yes that's the mail I go too, and what you have put in bold typeface is what I did ;-)

I am a huge fan of Al Wood a.k.a. woodshed---the mastermind behind ukehunt. When I started playing the ukulele a few years ago I referred to his website for everything. I can honestly say that many of the things I love so much about this mighty/cute & tiny/fantastic instrument have been influenced by ukehunt. I learned so much from his website that I purchased "How to Play Ukulele Strums" because after two years I felt I owed him AT LEAST that much (I also offered to pay for access to ukehunt.com if he offered a premium membership). I am so happy to say that I learned MANY things that I needed to know in order to grow as an ukulele player and enthusiast from that eBook. I can say, with confidence, that your money would be well spent on any eBooks offered by Al. His passion sets a benchmark that I believe is only matched by the fine moderators here at UU.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the kind words, folks.

Just to clarify, it's absolutely fine to share the little fingerpicking guide. I took it down a while ago and I'm intending to update it a little and put it back up. But it's absolutely fine to share it around.

Top Bottom