Help choosing a style - Jazz or Bluegrass?

Jason Paul

Reaction score
I debated posting this, but figured - what the heck? I'm just fishing for opinions.

I plan to work on solo stuff - instrumentals. In this, I think I would be better off focusing on a particular style. I just think that working on one thing would help me focus, so I could improve faster.

So, the two styles I'm considering are jazz and bluegrass/folk. I'm just trying to weight the positives and negatives of both. Here are a couple of samples:

Jazz Sample

Bluegrass Sample

It seems that each of these two styles is relatively simple for one hand, and more challenging for the other.

Jazz seems a bit simpler for the right (strumming) hand. Many of the pieces I see on YouTube are simply down strums. Some have more complicated patterns of course, but a lot of the Lyle Ritz arrangements use controlled strums on the right hand. However, Jazz uses much more complicated chords, which makes it much harder for the left hand. Simply making some chords is difficult, not to mention making chord changes in time.

Bluegrass seems to be the opposite. The chords and runs are generally pretty simple, so easier on the left hand. But, the right hand has to learn fingerpicking, which will take some practice to learn.

So, now a bit of rambling...

I just like the sound of jazz chords. There's just a coolness there, and it sounds impressive. But, I've got a couple of Lyle Ritz books (the orange one, and "Lyle Lite"), and I've had a hard time making some of the chord changes.

Bluegrass sounds much simpler, but there's a folksy charm about it that is attractive. Also, learning fingerpicking for bluegrass seems like it would carry over to other styles, like Celtic, for one, obviously.

Any thoughts, opinions, or advice is appreciated. Anyone play both styles?

Which do you like better?

Is one really easier than the other?

Does your audience seems to like one over the other?

Feel free to wax poetic.

Thanks,
Jason

I won't tell you which I think you ought to do...

But on the one hand, it's been proven time and time again that jazz sounds good on the ukulele. From this to this to this, it all sounds good on a uke. And it's all arguably "jazz." So you know you could do it well.

On the other hand, a search for "bluegrass ukulele" turns up largely a bunch of Ken Middleton's vids, and this (there's other stuff, but those are the things I personally really liked). So it's something you can set out to prove can be done well.

I hope that helps.

I disagree with the premise that you have to choose one. I do think that focusing on one before another may be helpful, but there is no reason you can't excel at both styles.

Interestingly, I think a focus on jazz will give you a solid foundation for any other style - including Bluegrass, but they need not be mutually exclusive. Play what you love - no matter what it is.

I'd personally worry less about learning a style of music than the building blocks of the techniques that they utilize. There's nothing to say you can't fingerpick really complicated chords. I do it all the time.

Learn to play the instrument to make your own music.

I've got it! Play Jazz with your left hand and Bluegrass with your right hand. That should give you a good solid foundation.

I agree that you don't have to choose but if you do.....consider this
When you play Jazz some other musicians will nod and look impressed. Occassionally people will tell you you're really good.
When you play Bluegrass people will tap their fet, smile, sing along, make requests and even dance. I know which I'd go for.....

I think the ukulele lays out better for folk and bluegrass chords than jazz - and the keys you normally play in for bluegrass are more uke friendly.

For jazz you might consider the low G tuning, and work on some bass/melody stuff. At our recent get-together, one gentleman played "Misty" on his tenor and it was great, he had some bass lines going in there with the melody and chords.

If you want to strum and sing, and do some fast picking, bluegrass would be your thing.

I think you DO have to choose, because there will be different approaches you take for either. For example I'm going the way of playing Irish melodies in fingerstyle, as opposed to strumming or a chord/melody style. Not only might you string your instrument differently, you might choose a different instrument altogether depending on your style. Not to mention thinking differently.

For many years I played jazz on the banjo, I was working on a chordal-with-melody style, and even got some bass tones from the 4th string. It was great but I'm no longer bowled over by those harmonies. And those cool harmonies only shine when you play an instrument with more range such as guitar or piano.

I'm with Ron from New Zealand, consider the people you'll meet in either area. "Jazz Snobs" are a super-majority, you might have more fun at bluegrass open-mikes. Learn a few tunes of each and see how you feel about it.

I think you DO have to choose, because there will be different approaches you take for either...

I'm with Ron from New Zealand, consider the people you'll meet in either area. "Jazz Snobs" are a super-majority, you might have more fun at bluegrass open-mikes. Learn a few tunes of each and see how you feel about it.

With respect, I couldn't disagree more. Exploring other styles is not only possible, but I argue preferable for someone who is learning.

For the same reason universities discourage major specialization for freshmen... Branching out helps you identify what your passion is, and helps you learn more about music. It also lets you develop skills that may be totally ignored by one genre or another. It is exploring those different approaches that will make you a better player in the long run.

Limiting yourself early is a short trip to boredom and frustration town. Only specialize when you LOVE the genre - until then - play everything you can. Without passion, there is no point - and you won't know your passion unless you try everything that strikes your fancy.

As for snobbery - I've found both bluegrass and jazz folks to contain high numbers of "purists" who hate anything different. Jerks are jerks, and all genres have them.

Last edited:
I'll also have to politely disagree about Jazz on the uke. As a rhythm instrument it works quite wonderfully and I'm able to play all sorts of chords that would have been obscenely daunting to me as a guitar player. It may be ill suited to the manner you want to play, but as an instrument it's fully capable. Jazz is a category that covers such a broad and endless spectrum of sounds and styles and folks like Lyle Ritz and Ohta san do some really amazing stuff reentrant.

I'm with grumpycoyote in advocating learning how to play the instrument and then making the music in your head.

Also Bill Monroe did not have an ukulele in his group. The hardcore bluegrass purists scoff at you. You are not playing "authentic" bluegrass. Come back when you get a real instrument like a mandolin. :D

Last edited:
With respect, I couldn't disagree more. Exploring other styles is not only possible, but I argue preferable for someone who is learning.

For the same reason universities discourage major specialization for freshmen... Branching out helps you identify what your passion is, and helps you learn more about music. It also lets you develop skills that may be totally ignored by one genre or another. It is exploring those different approaches that will make you a better player in the long run.

Limiting yourself early is a short trip to boredom and frustration town. Only specialize when you LOVE the genre - until then - play everything you can. Without passion, there is no point - and you won't know your passion unless you try everything that strikes your fancy.

As for snobbery - I've found both bluegrass and jazz folks to contain high numbers of "purists" who hate anything different. Jerks are jerks, and all genres have them.

There's snobbery even among punk musicians...maybe more...

A humbling way to look at it: no one is sitting around thinking, "What kind of music is so-and- so going to be working on?" Humbling, but liberating. Most people even ukulele enthusiasts aren't even thinking things like that about someone like Jake S. really...when being completely honest.

Do what you can do, yeah with passion being into it...for most that involves some exploration at the beginning.

One request: please refrain from an entire night of Blues...

Last edited:
You won't have to choose. YOUR style will choose you.
Personally, I fall into this camp. Play around with both for a while and you will probably find yourself gravitating toward one or the other. Your prefrence will make it's self known in time.

You won't have to choose. YOUR style will choose you.

I think this person is right. There is a lot of stuff to learn. When I started I thought it would be Hawaiian music. You know, the "traditional" ukulele stuff. Know what? I NEVER play it. I drift around to different songs. However, I do find that Ken Middleton's tabs are AWESOME to learn fingerpicking. They're a challenge. I still would blush for him to listen to me play one of his arrangements.

I'd encourage you to get the Fretboard Roadmaps book. Lots of good info in there and it'll help with whatever you decide to do. You also might just want to spend some time working on the stuff Aldrine has posted here.

Good luck. You'll figure it out.

Bluegrass, why? Because I like it. That is all I need to make the decision for myself. Play what you like best and if you are still interested in the other, play that later. If you like them both, double your practice time. For every hour you spend on one, spend on the other. Play passionately no matter what you play and it will be great!

Count me in with the group that says "you don't have to pick one." Play a bit of both. Learn a bit of both. Let each influence the other.

Pick up some Bill Frisell, or any of Chris Thile's recent albums, or some Bela Fleck. Is that bluegrass? Is that jazz? Classical? Beats me, but it's all good stuff.

And "good stuff" is really the only category that matters, isn't it?

JJ

Thanks for the replies so far.

I really don't mean to sound like I'm limiting my options, and I get that trying both is the way to go. I guess I'm just trying to decide which to do first, or which to spend more time on - without really being exclusive about it.

I do already have a few books, including Fretboard Roadmaps. I've got the two Lyle books I mentioned, as well as Mark Nelson's Fingerstyle Ukulele book.

After putting a little more thought into it, I think I may be trying to decide whether I want to focus on left-hand or right-hand technique first/more, when it comes to the more complicated stuff. I know in the long run I want to develop both of course.

I don't have any aspirations to play on stage or anything. But, there's always a chance that I'll be around friends with a uke and want to play something.

Jason

I'm with all those who say that limiting yourself to one style is not the right approach. My question is, why, if you are going to limit yourself, you pick jazz and bluegrass as the only representatives of instrumental music? Blues and classical come to mind, blues being the source of most jazz and for that matter, bluegrass and country, pop and reggae, all have roots in blues. But any genre can be played instrumentally, if for nothing else the learning experience. You're right about the techniques required for jazz vs bluegrass, though - much more fingerstyle in bluegrass, plus a ton of speed. If you want to build up right hand muscle stamina, bluegrass is great for that. It's fun to learn things sloooooooow, and gradually speed it up to the right speed. Then if you're learning jazz, blues, classical, flamenco, celtic or whatever, and expanding your musical territory, apply it to bluegrass and you're the Bela Fleck of the ukulele. Eventually, like boscotiny said, your style will choose you.

No limits!

After putting a little more thought into it, I think I may be trying to decide whether I want to focus on left-hand or right-hand technique first/more, when it comes to the more complicated stuff. I know in the long run I want to develop both of course.

Jason

At this I'd also have to just say that you might be better served learning them mostly in tandem since each really plays into the other. It may be just the sort of odd way I tend to approach my process, but I have a hard time imagining being able to compartmentalize the development of right and left hand techniques. There is just playing and that involves both hands and ears and brain halves.

But I think you'll eventually find that whatever lofty plans you'll set up in your mind will likely fade over time anyway as you progress and start finding your own way. But really fundamentals matter much more than musical styles. Those you can apply to any genre. Think less, play more.

...There is just playing and that involves both hands and ears and brain halves... ...Think less, play more.
There's a lot to be said for the two halves of the brain. That's what makes playing piano so difficult for me, integrating the left hand bass patterns with the right hand makes me crazy. Same with singing a melody and playing a syncopated rhythm against it. Over time it comes together, but for me there is a lot of work sometimes. Same with patting my head and rubbing my tummy for that matter! Some people seem to have little trouble separating the left & right brain, but I'm not one of 'em. Once the integration takes place, though, it makes things much easier the next time I get "stuck" between the two brains (at least that's what I tell myself...).

Top Bottom