Anyone else ever have this problem?

Nick from PA

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a bassist/guitarist who started playing uke last year, and am really enjoying it. But my strumming arm seems to have trouble getting comfortable holding the uke, and I quickly developed a tennis elbow-type problem there---a generalized soreness/stiffness in the elbow going down the arm to the hand. I've had problems with this elbow in the past from upright bass and guitar, but it had gone away for a while. It's not horrible, but it concerns me that it's been there for a few months now. Anyone else run into this kind of trouble? Just curious.

Related question: I play a concert, and seem to find smaller ukes easier to hold onto. Anybody find one size easier to hold than another?

By the way, I recently ordered a uke thong on eBay, we'll see if that makes any difference for me.

Thanks very much!

Nick

Strumming the uke is unlike any other stringed instrument in that you DO NOT move your arm. Trying to strum with motions learned on any other instrument will get you into the exact problem you are having. Press your uke up against your body with the inner part of your forearm, extend your forefinger and rotate your hand to cause the up and down strumming motion. Rotate! don't gyrate. It's all in the wrist. (Which should remain relatively stable) Keep your right arm as still as possible. Just like the upright bass. Its' the fingers, not the arm... If you have trouble strumming the Bmin7 (no fingers) then you're not stabilizing the uke with your right arm properly, (Probably cause you wanna strum with your arm and not your wrist.) Depending on the uke you play, the 'thong' may help. I play a tenor and use a strap when I perform, but the strap is there for when I need both arms for something else, not so that I can play the uke improperly held. My music is improper enough...

I have no problem holding and strumming a soprano while standing. It´s just a matter of practice. When playing a concert, I prefer sitting. Especially when it is a concert with a glossy finish. I know there are lots of gimmicks and workarounds (straps, duct tape), but I am comfortable with my solution.

Thanks for these responses. Eleuke, I'll study your instructions next time I practice---we'll see if I can improve my strumming technique.

another option is installing a strap button

This might sound crazy but I have problems with my right elbow and I have traced the problem to my working on the computer
holding the mouse with my right hand and my elbow is not resting on anything. The strain of the elbow holding up the arm agravated something in my elbow and it hurt for a long time. Now I make sure my elbow is resting on the arm of my chair and it has gone away. What I am trying to say is that the problem might be from something else that you can fix. I had a similar problem with my shoulder and I figured out that it was the way I was sleeping , the shoulder is fine now.

Pete, that doesn't sound crazy to me at all. I've had tons of problems from spending hours a day at a computer---elbow, wrist, eyes, back. So I wouldn't be at all surprised if using the computer exacerbates my elbow trouble. I guess I need to do more yoga....

Top Bottom