a newb need some help with buying a guitar guys

Regster

Reaction score
i'm really getting into guitars now, at first i wanted to play both uke n guitar now im only focus on guitar not that the uke is a bad thing i still practice it rarely its just i have more fun with guitar n i don't feel like learning two instrument at the same time is for me, i mean guitar is already hard enough right now.

here's the problem my first guitar is a seagull cedar, its a pretty nice guitar but it doesn't have any pick ups, i want a good acoustic electric guitar i have 400 right now, should i buy an acoustic electric or wait till i have more money cuz my real goal was to buy an acoustic electric guitar for 800 but some people say that there is acoustic electric at the 400 price range that is good enough.

so basically should i buy a 400 or 800 acoustic electric? what i want is quality and good sound.

i'm really getting into guitars now, at first i wanted to play both uke n guitar now im only focus on guitar not that the uke is a bad thing i still practice it rarely its just i have more fun with guitar n i don't feel like learning two instrument at the same time is for me, i mean guitar is already hard enough right now.

here's the problem my first guitar is a seagull cedar, its a pretty nice guitar but it doesn't have any pick ups, i want a good acoustic electric guitar i have 400 right now, should i buy an acoustic electric or wait till i have more money cuz my real goal was to buy an acoustic electric guitar for 800 but some people say that there is acoustic electric at the 400 price range that is good enough.

so basically should i buy a 400 or 800 acoustic electric? what i want is quality and good sound.

Buy a pick-up for now. Save your money until something good comes along. Don't base your decision on a price tag. What I mean by this is don't just look at only guitars in the $800 range. There will be $600 guitars that sound like $800 guitars and vice versa. Part of the fun is the hunt.

btw . Isn't Seagull built by Larivee? I've played a couple and really liked them.

If you want a real nice sounding guitar, I would very much so suggest a Martin, I'm using a martin and hell, it sounds nice. Cost £300 (around $600) and I can't keep my hands off it.

Isn't Seagull built by Larivee? I've played a couple and really liked them.

Don't know about that, but I played around with their S6 model and it sounds pretty nice, that also costs around $600, but I definatly prefer my Martin.

Last edited:
are you planning on performing with this guitar? if so, the $800 budget is a good start. there area few guitars in that price range that i have found to be just awesome for the price.

some brands to look at:

yamaha (check out the APX900 - i have one and its sound and performance rivalled some of the lower priced taylors)

takamine - the better ones are usually over $600 from what ive played.

breedlove - nice sounding guitars, and ive recently seen several people using them to perform with.

ovation - these are somewhat of an acquired taste IMO. may take some getting used to the rounded back. but they sound beautiful and use some of the best electronics.

at your price range, i would stay away from taylor and martin for now, when it comes to A/E guitars. you may find some martins that will fit the bill, but the taylors at that price range are laminate construction and you will be basically paying for the $800 name on a $4-600 guitar. dont get me wrong, they still sound great. but i actually picked my APX900 over some of the lower model taylors and it was only $600.

thanks for your help guys last time i was planning to buy a guitar the money went to pay for my nurse aide training which i thought i have enough money apparently not. this time i will get one if nothing prevents me to.

Buy a pick-up for now. Save your money until something good comes along. Don't base your decision on a price tag. What I mean by this is don't just look at only guitars in the $800 range. There will be $600 guitars that sound like $800 guitars and vice versa. Part of the fun is the hunt.

btw . Isn't Seagull built by Larivee? I've played a couple and really liked them.

nope its by godin guitar company in canada

If you want a real nice sounding guitar, I would very much so suggest a Martin, I'm using a martin and hell, it sounds nice. Cost £300 (around $600) and I can't keep my hands off it.

Don't know about that, but I played around with their S6 model and it sounds pretty nice, that also costs around $600, but I definatly prefer my Martin.

im already checking on that mate, i heard that taylors n martins are two of the really good guitar out there.

are you planning on performing with this guitar? if so, the $800 budget is a good start. there area few guitars in that price range that i have found to be just awesome for the price.

some brands to look at:

yamaha (check out the APX900 - i have one and its sound and performance rivalled some of the lower priced taylors)

takamine - the better ones are usually over $600 from what ive played.

breedlove - nice sounding guitars, and ive recently seen several people using them to perform with.

ovation - these are somewhat of an acquired taste IMO. may take some getting used to the rounded back. but they sound beautiful and use some of the best electronics.

at your price range, i would stay away from taylor and martin for now, when it comes to A/E guitars. you may find some martins that will fit the bill, but the taylors at that price range are laminate construction and you will be basically paying for the $800 name on a $4-600 guitar. dont get me wrong, they still sound great. but i actually picked my APX900 over some of the lower model taylors and it was only $600.

yeh i'll probably use it later to perform that's why i need a pick up but damn taylors at that price are only laminates

i've just checked out some guitar in the internet, right now im checking taylor and alvarez, i seem to like the alvarez ad60 acoustic electric or Taylor 114-E Grand Auditorium Acoustic-Electric Guitar so i need some advice

I'm going into town today so I will check out if they have the alvarez or the taylor in store, see what they play like.

nice tell me how its like dude, if im not doing anything i'll probably check the alvarez tomorrow, i like the warmth tone of it i'll probably just get a taylor later, taylor is too bright sounding to my ear i like warm and mellower tone n another thing is that its cheaper :D i can probably get it too

I played an old beat up Alvarez the other day. AWESOME. I would have bought it if I thought my kids could survive without food for a couple weeks.

Also I dont know how much Ovation's cost in the states, but they are worth a look at.

Edit: Nevermind, the non laminate ovations are pretty expensive.

Last edited:
ok so i finally got my new guitar, its not the ad60 cuz they don't have it, its an alvarez ff60wr i went to four guitar shops and only one have one alvarez and its the last alvarez they have

here are the pros and cons
pros-
-sexy looking
-acoustic electric
-made from korea cuz some alvarez now is made from china, i just think that's a good thing cuz everything nowadays is made from china
-gold tuners
-small body but pretty bright sounding
-ohhh yehh it sells for 469 in the internet but i got it for only 370 cuz they have a close out sale which is really a big plus

cons
-top is not solid maple, yup its only laminate

i tested a washburn d10sce acoustic electric and a fender forgot the model number but ok the washburn d10sce i played it, its good but as i look closely into the side of the bridge and there's a scratch on the guitar itself a pretty big one too, you can see it only if you look to the bridge, i was like what the hell so i X that one why would i want to buy a new guitar with a mark on it.

moving on the fender damn that baby sound good i almost bought that one it has a fisherman pickup, which i heard is one of the best pick ups but its too much for the money, its almost 500 bucks ohh and im not really move by the looks of it so0o0o i was nahhh i'll probably just get this later.

so there you go that's how i ended up with the ff60wr, not really what im looking for but i was amaze at the looks, amaze at how it produce a bright sound for its small body and its laminate top, also amaze at the price is way less than how much they offer it in the internet, i dont really trust the internet cuz u never know what kind of guitar they'll give you, better you check it up yourself so you know how it is.

Hi buddy
I will suggest you to go for $ 400. Price doesn't matter , how you play it matters.

you won't believe what happened i ended up giving it back to the store n i ended up with a takamine eg462sc

you won't believe what happened i ended up giving it back to the store n i ended up with a takamine eg462sc

I've heard very nice things about Takamines, never played one personally, but I know a couple of people who use the high end models as their performance guitars.

Top Bottom