Gut string impressions

clayton56

Reaction score
Last week I put gut strings on one of my ukes - this uke was one I'd been having trouble getting a good fit with the tone and the strings. They seemed to really bring out a mellow, delicate quality of tone from that uke (Loprinzi mahogany A) which was always good and loud, but a little sharp and harsh for me.

The strings seem less responsive or flexible than nylon but are pretty crisp, and I get a pretty even response from all notes. They're sort of dead, so you have to tug at them a little, but I like the organic feel and sound. I don't really mind the raspy finger noise or rough texture, either. They're louder than I expected, and there's a deep low end to the sound under the crystal-like high end.

To me they're nothing like those Aquila Nylgut, which are supposed to be like gut. I think Ko'olau Golds are closer.

Oh, and they're only sounding good for me when I play fingerstyle - strumming doesn't seem to work at all. Nice for Renaissance or classical styles. I'll probably try them on more ukes.

Interesting, thanks for the info. What brand were they? I'm curious to feel real gut strings too. Are you not happy with your LoPrinzi. I have one on the way with a spruce soundboard, it comes with Aquilas, which I like, but I was wondering...

Top Bottom