Low-g string set without any wound strings?

blueswithafeeling

Reaction score
Is there a string-set for tenor Low-g without any wound strings? Preferably Aquilas, but other brands would do. I don't like the string noise that a wound string makes when sliding on it. I don't mind it so much on a guitar but since my uke has less volume, the sound is a bigger proportion of the sound of the instrument. I am strung in high g so I can avoid the wound strings, but since I really started off playing guitar for many years - I am more comfortable with having the strings follow the same pattern and so want to go back to low-G.

I know Worth has the only unwound low g set. Aquila's contain a wound low g. Or you can pick up unwound fluorocarbon singles from MGM (Worth, Freemonts (?).

I think Orcas are unwound low g if you can find them, they are pretty popular in Japan from what i hear. I have a set but have not tried them yet. I believe Freemont makes an unwound low g also. Pretty sure you can get a single unwound low g from MGM.

Kanaka beat me to it but here is a link

Single Freemont low g (unwound)

Last edited:
Or,if you want to give it a try,using Aquilas,you could always do what IZ did on his tenors.
Take a set of re-entrant (High G) strings and string your instrument the following way:

Low G Tuning Using High G Strings:
For G use the C string
For C use the E string.
For E use the G string.
For A use the A string (as it is intended)
I have not tried this yet but I HAVE used an Aquila Tenor C string,as a LOW G on my
8 string ukulele and it works okay! Slightly slacker than a 'real' G maybe,but not loose
enough to buzz or rattle,and it plays/rings out okay!

Last edited:
Thanks! I'll try the Aquilas high g set modifications that luthien suggested because I already have extras of those and will see how that plays and then try a separate single G from fremont.

Or,if you want to give it a try,using Aquilas,you could always do what IZ did on his tenors.
Take a set of re-entrant (High G) strings and string your instrument the following way:

Low G Tuning Using High G Strings:
For G use the C string
For C use the E string.
For E use the G string.
For A use the A string (as it is intended)
I have not tried this yet but I HAVE used an Aquila Tenor C string,as a LOW G on my
8 string ukulele and it works okay! Slightly slacker than a 'real' G maybe,but not loose
enough to buzz or rattle,and it plays/rings out okay!

I wonder if this would work on the other sizes too.

I have no idea if it works on other sizes,but aside from keeping an eye on the tension involved,
I don't see why it shouldn't!As I said,I found the information on a site talking exclusively about
strings and comparing different brands.As Worth are the only company that seem to make a
dedicated plain 8 string set,I am rather stuck,as I can't get hold of any to try,here in the U.K.
But I generally use Aquilas anyway,and tried the C string as a substitute 'Low G' with no bad
side effects at all!It is slightly looser (than the wound string was) when tuned up to pitch,but
with no rattling or buzzing,either against the fingerboard,or the adjacent high G string,so I was
well pleased with the result.I tend to buy my strings two or three sets at a time anyway,so I
generally have some around! But let us know how it works out for you will you,because next
time I re-string my other tenor,I intend giving this a shot,just to try it out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom