I did it! I ordered my first uke! Help me get started?

Deets

Reaction score
I've been savin' up for months and I just got off the phone with MGM! An Ohana concert solid sprucetop CK-70RB will be mine in....a week or so? AHH, EXCITEMENT! Did I make a good beginner choice?

And I'm sure you guys get this all the time but, when I do get my uke, what sites/youtube teachers should I check out for optimum learning? I already play a whole bunch of instruments including guitar, cello, and bass so I'm not a total newbie, but I do need pointing in the right direction! Any good books and/or dvd tutorials to recommend?

I can't wait to be one of you guys! :cool:

I use ukulele-tabs.com quite a bit and chordie.com. Chordie has guitar tabs but will transpose them for you. There are tons of vids on here to watch too! Welcome by the way and I love the choice. Durable as can be with the poly body. Hawaii Music Supply has a youtube page with a bunch of basic lessons and stuff. That is where I began. Just search you tube for ukulele lessons and you will find what you are looking for.

I use ukulele-tabs.com quite a bit and chordie.com. Chordie has guitar tabs but will transpose them for you. There are tons of vids on here to watch too! Welcome by the way and I love the choice. Durable as can be with the poly body. Hawaii Music Supply has a youtube page with a bunch of basic lessons and stuff. That is where I began. Just search you tube for ukulele lessons and you will find what you are looking for.

Yeah, that's why I picked it, seeing as I'm constantly moving all over the place and my uke would have to be tough enough to move along with me.
Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll be sure to check 'em all out!

For instruction, be sure to check out Ukulele Mike:

Ukulele Mike's YouTube Channel

Obviously, there are many, many more, but he's got some good videos. Many are just for learning a particular song, but he also has several generic lessons.

Jason

Pick a First Song

One good way to start is to pick a song you like and see if there is a tutorial on youtube. Obladi Oblada by the Beatles is great to start with.

For instruction, be sure to check out Ukulele Mike:

Ukulele Mike's YouTube Channel

Obviously, there are many, many more, but he's got some good videos. Many are just for learning a particular song, but he also has several generic lessons.

Jason

Yes this is a great site to learn from. I believe Ukulele Mike has over 225 videos. Also, check out the lessons (both live and on video) here at UU.
Happy strumming and congrats on the new uke!!!

I've been savin' up for months and I just got off the phone with MGM! An Ohana concert solid sprucetop CK-70RB will be mine in....a week or so? AHH, EXCITEMENT! Did I make a good beginner choice?

And I'm sure you guys get this all the time but, when I do get my uke, what sites/youtube teachers should I check out for optimum learning? I already play a whole bunch of instruments including guitar, cello, and bass so I'm not a total newbie, but I do need pointing in the right direction! Any good books and/or dvd tutorials to recommend?

I can't wait to be one of you guys! :cool:
Check out the 'Ukulele Resources thread . . . lots of links.

personally, I will choose an "easy" song and I will learn all the key and strumming pattern until I can play the song without reading any tab guidance. Try it... :cool:

I GOT IT!

It got here this morning and I haven't been able to put it down since. Heh. Thanks to you guys, I've already got some chords under my belt and I'm workin' my way through some easy songs! Still having trouble getting to stay in tune, but I guess thats to be expected.

Thank you!

I GOT IT!

It got here this morning and I haven't been able to put it down since. Heh. Thanks to you guys, I've already got some chords under my belt and I'm workin' my way through some easy songs! Still having trouble getting to stay in tune, but I guess thats to be expected.

Thank you!
Great to hear! I just got a uke in the mail today too. There are very few things better than that! Enjoy!

Top Bottom