Better strumming option?

IAmTheWalrus

Reaction score
I know, I know, it's all preference. But I just want to stick to one way for just strumming chords and singing along. Which method is better; using my index (down on nail, up on flesh), or using index and thumb (nail on each)?

Whatever's comfortable for ya! I mainly use my index finger and somehow ye 'ol thumbs gets in on the festivities.

...Which method is better; using my index (down on nail, up on flesh), or using index and thumb (nail on each)?
Every once in a while, at great peril, I find I must sing over my playing, and think I should simplify what I'm doing, and it still comes out that I'm all over the map when it comes to strumming and fingerpicking. Guess it's in my nature, plus it depends on what I'm going after. Here's an example of something that needed singing, so I kinda did a Dylan impression to help the "forgiveness" factor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAMULIqEUKs

You'll have to squint thru the visual effects, but you'll get the idea. If you'll notice, sometimes it's a simple strum, sometimes a fanned strum, sometimes I'm chunkin', and sometimes I fingerpick, but it's ALL subconscious, depending again on what is "called for" for lack of a better term.

I'm so sorry, but whatever anyone says is "best," you can't do that...
:nana:

Last edited:
You need to do what feels and sounds right to you. Obviously the nail and flesh sound different. I believe if you always strum the same you are limiting yourself.
While I understand that while learning limiting choices is easier, but as you advance you style and skills should as well.
If you strum every song the same they will begin to all sound the same. I saw a guitar player a few years ago that sang every song in the set in the same key and played them from the same shapes on the guitar.
He got very boring very quickly, it was like listening to the same song for 45 minutes.

My thumb has never wanted anything to do with strumming...so much so, that I often sport a hitch-hiker hand when I get going, lol. But I'm determined to have a few different strumming styles/techniques - you should too! :)

My thumb has never wanted anything to do with strumming...so much so, that I often sport a hitch-hiker hand when I get going, lol. But I'm determined to have a few different strumming styles/techniques - you should too! :)

Try a triplet strum! Finger(s) down, followed closely by the thumb down, and finger back up. Simple! There are variations, of course (of course...).

Top Bottom