Which vintage Martin should I look for?

Chris Tarman

Reaction score
Ok, I am kind of ready to take the plunge... I can't decide between a Style-1 or a Style-2. Mind you, I am just LOOKING right now, but I have had my eye on a couple. I know the Style-2 is probably a bit rarer, and so my "collecting psyche" tells me that is the one I ought to get. BUT... I kind of like tortoise shell, lol. Any opinions?

Good point! If I can find one, I'll sell the house! Well, the car maybe. I kind of need the house to keep the ukes and other stuff in. Not to mention the wife and dogs.

Personally, I prefer the style 1. I really like the tortoise binding, and tend to like less "flash". I'd be after a concert size. There were fewer built, which may up the price a bit....

To play or as a collector item? Or both? Style 0 plays and sounds as good (some say better) than any Martin mahogany uke. If it's as a collector item, then a style 2 is considerably rarer than a style 1. Check out the collection for sale at four string farmhouse on the Martin forum. Also there's a couple of inexpensive Style 0's at Fleamarket, and Uke hunt has a great feature where they list most of the brand name and vintage ukes, not just Martins on ebay.

just get one. its a martin haha it doesnt matter what type it is as long as its a martin. :p

just get one. its a martin haha it doesnt matter what type it is as long as its a martin. :p

I couldn't agree more. Asking which Martin to get is kinda like asking which 24 year old scotch to drink. Sure there might be some subtle diffrences but either one is gonna make you feel good!

Good luck.

Ok. I did it. I went with the Style 2. It should be here by Monday at the latest. I talked on the phone with the guy for an hour comparing 2 Style 2s and a Style 1, all from the '30s. I ended up with the less expensive of the 2 Style 2s. I really like Tortoise Shell a lot, but the Style 2 had noticeably better tone (they were both strung up with Aquillas), and was just a little bit more than the Style 1. Photos as soon as it gets here!

Yes, it is a soprano. A large, well-known vintage instrument dealer in the Upper Mid-West (whom I bought my beloved '77 Fender Jazz bass from). They have a LOT more than 3.

Yes, it is a soprano. A large, well-known vintage instrument dealer in the Upper Mid-West (whom I bought my beloved '77 Fender Jazz bass from). They have a LOT more than 3.

Well for godness sake tell us WHO! :) Unless you're saving those other Martin's for future purchase! HA!

Congratualtions, BTW, on the purchase. I have a recently purchased '48 Style O that I love. I'd like a pre 1940 Style 1 someday. enjoy.

Elderly Instruments, of course. They have a '30s Style 2 that I had been kind of looking at but then just yesterday added ANOTHER '30s Style 2 that was quite a bit less money and sounded better according to their ukulele guy that I talked to. In his words "this thing is a cannon". Good thing, because the original Style 2 I had been looking at was a tad bit more than I could get away with spending. Even this one was a stretch, but I sold some pipes on eBay and pretty much paid for it.

There's a Martin on eBay right now that I want but can't afford. I think it is actually a style 1 concert, but it is listed as a style 0. I think the seller thinks it is the more common soprano style 0. He describes it as having body binding, although the pictures don't show it well enough to tell. He also measured the scale length at @ 15".

Who wants a cool Martin concert?

Well for godness sake tell us WHO! :) Unless you're saving those other Martin's for future purchase! HA!

Congratualtions, BTW, on the purchase. I have a recently purchased '48 Style O that I love. I'd like a pre 1940 Style 1 someday. enjoy.
I’m new here, just trying to absorb. I just got my first ukulele, second hand, a couple months ago, to get my feet wet, and they’re now very wet. It’s a basic but decently playable Oscar Schmidt concert (OU5). But today I was in a shop here in NYC where the guy has a 50’s (he thinks) Style O hanging on the wall, and I asked if I could have a look. What a difference. It just rings out so sweetly, and the build quality is wonderful. Good price, too, around 500. I thought my next one was going to be a tenor with low G because I wanna start doing some jazz and bossa nova, but man, this was a really nice soprano.

Top Bottom