Tell Me What Ukulele Underground Means to You!!!

tad

Reaction score
Hey there, UU folks!

I'm in grad school, working on a PhD in History, and my primary focus is on media history-- I do work that deals with stuff like comic strips, movies, and the internet.

This semester, I'm taking a "Digital Storytelling" course, where we work on making short documentaries. Given that I've worked on several historical websites doing various kinds of work, it seemed like a great addition to my skill set.

And when I was looking for a subject, my thoughts went to this website, this community. I want to make a short film about UU and the UU community, and I need your help doing it.

To that end, I'm now announcing the "Tell Me What UU Means to You" contest! My plan is to take all of your responses, and edit them together, adding context, etc. I'd also like to interview some of you via Skype, if you'd be up for it. (Skype interviews also will get you a ticket in the raffle.)

I'm looking for videos of at least two minutes, telling me about your relationship with Ukulele Underground.I'm going to have a drawing based on all the people who submit videos, and the winners will receive a copy of Jim Beloff's The Ukulele: A Visual History.

Post your videos here and/or as responses to my video. Make sure that you make clear a) that your video is for this contest and b) what your username is on UU. Submissions must be received by April 7, 2010.

Multiple entries are fine-- just make sure each video is a couple minutes long! Answer a couple questions, get a couple chances...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Unsure what to say in your video? Below you'll find a list of questions you may want to answer. Feel free to pick and choose, or just talk from the heart. These are guidelines and suggestions, but are not meant to limit anyone's responses in the slightest.

• How old are you? Where you from?
  • How long have you been on UU?
  • How long have you been playing the uke?
  • How did you find out about UU?
  • How often are you on UU?
  • Have you ever met another member IRL?
  • What do you use UU for, primarily?
  • Have you ever run a contest?
  • Have you ever been deached?
  • What inspired you to play the uke?
  • How many ukes do you own?
  • Do you play out? Play open mics?
  • Have you ever done a Youtube ukulele video?
  • Ever done a collaborative uke video with another UUer?
  • Why do you play the ukulele?
  • Why do you come to UU?
  • Do you use any other uke websites?

...I know it's a lot of questions, but again, you don't have to answer all of 'em. Heck, you don't have to answer any of them. Just tell me what UU means to you!

Last edited:
too lazy to do a vid, but UU is my life.

Thanks... It's a tapestry that my roommates and I bought at a head shop years ago. Everyone else moved out of the apartment, I ended up with the tapestry.

I've moved more times than I can count since then, but the tapestry comes with me to each new place. It's a way of inserting some continuity in the constant cycle of rental properties, new roommates, new cities, etc.

Are you willing to post to Australia if by off chance i get the book? =\

Awesome!

I know the prizes aren't the fanciest out there, but I really think it's for a good cause...

UU has built such a community in the couple years it's been around-- I think it's pretty remarkable, and definitely worth documenting.

Plus, yeah-- it's a really simple contest to enter! Low barrier to entry.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch_private?v=mm8Zmze5geY&sharing_token=yqwHEu4Z1BzXYZyh_BDqTw[/video]

My submission! Sorry if this wasnt what you were after, Tad!

That's EXACTLY the kind of thing I'm looking for-- thank you so so SO much!

And your soprano is AWESOME looking, I gotta say. I wish I had something that colorful in my collection.

That's EXACTLY the kind of thing I'm looking for-- thank you so so SO much!

And your soprano is AWESOME looking, I gotta say. I wish I had something that colorful in my collection.

You're welcome! It was actually kinda fun to do.
And thanks for the compliments about my Soprano - i got it painted for me by an artist friend of mine. It was originally blue! =D

This is a cool idea... I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's responses.

Here's mine:

Dude, my girlfriend and I both THOUROUGHLY enjoyed your response. The "is that a cop" thing had us rollin'.
Thank you so much.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, man!

Keep 'em coming, folks!!!

Okay--

I said I was giving away two books, and given that I got three submissions, those odds weren't bad.

Drew the names out of a hat, and Beeejums and happyslappysong, PM me with contact info.

Top Bottom