Case recommendations for Martin Tenor

Tigeralum2001

Reaction score
Aloha UU!

As you may have read, I picked up a Martin Tenor with original hard shell case a couple of weeks ago. I've been playing it and it is marvelous. Anyhow, in my joy of aquiring such a fine specimen, my brain was not fully functioning. I kept using the original case. Last night I noticed a new, very tiny, surface finish scratch (that may buff out). I have been so careful with it that my conclusion is it must have occurred when putting it in or taking it out of the case.

So, it is now a priority to find a modern case to take care of this awesome instrument. My priority is on protection with a desire for a pocket big enough to carry sheet music. Unfortunately, these seem mutually exclusive. My budget is <$100, so no Ameritage for me. Right now I am favoring the Oscar Schmidt Tenor case.

I have no ukulele resources near me, so I don't know if my Martin will fit nicely in that case. I am looking for your expertise to guide me to a nice case that will fit this uke, keep it safe, and perhaps have a pocket for music. Anyone know of such a case? Thanks a ton!

My favorite cases under $100 are the Ko'olau/Oahu cases. Call MGM and ask which one would fit the Martin better. Gut reaction tells me Ko'olau, but MGM would know best. They're right up under your price range, but they are beautiful, quality cases. I'm not saying the Oscar Schmidt is bad, because I don't know anything about it - just saying the Ko'olau cases are that GOOD.

Mainland ukulele makes their ukes to resemble martin ukes. go buy a case from them. but always make sure you measure your uke and look at the specs of the case before you buy it. but you shouldnt have a problem with one of those cases.

I have a Ameritage and it is excellent. I keep my 1926 Gibson Tenor in a Pro-Tec case. It is a great case but is really big as there is lots of closed cell foam around the uke.
If you want a foam case therre are many choices less expensive than the Pro-Tec. There are many wooden hardshell cases less expensive than Ameritage as well.
Ameritage as a new economy line out (since I got mine). You have a valuble vintage uke, a good case is a small investment. Whatever uke I am taking with me goes into the Ameritage.

I have five Koolau cases myself as well as an Ameritage but none fit your criteria for sheet music. Try the Kiwaya case that MGM sells. Its a rectangular case that should hold your sheet music too.

Aloha UU!

As you may have read, I picked up a Martin Tenor with original hard shell case a couple of weeks ago. I've been playing it and it is marvelous. Anyhow, in my joy of aquiring such a fine specimen, my brain was not fully functioning. I kept using the original case. Last night I noticed a new, very tiny, surface finish scratch (that may buff out). I have been so careful with it that my conclusion is it must have occurred when putting it in or taking it out of the case.

So, it is now a priority to find a modern case to take care of this awesome instrument. My priority is on protection with a desire for a pocket big enough to carry sheet music. Unfortunately, these seem mutually exclusive. My budget is <$100, so no Ameritage for me. Right now I am favoring the Oscar Schmidt Tenor case.

I have no ukulele resources near me, so I don't know if my Martin will fit nicely in that case. I am looking for your expertise to guide me to a nice case that will fit this uke, keep it safe, and perhaps have a pocket for music. Anyone know of such a case? Thanks a ton!

I would look into dealers that sell ukes that are similar to the martins. Mele, Kiwaya, mainland are just three that I can think of. I absolutely loved the hard case I got from Mele and those koolau cases are superb as well.

Does MGM have a website or does he only sell through eBay?

Thanks!

Mike sells through eBay, but he will answer questions from email or a call. I emailed him to ask if a certain case would fit a certain uke....he said it would fit, and indeed it fits perfectly. Write or call and you will get something that works great.

I like my Fremont rectangular cases. In a tenor size it should fit music under the uke. MGM has a Fremont concert size here, but if you call him he should have a tenor size available.

Aloha Tigealum2001,
What are the dementions of you ukulele so you can get a perfect fit....no sense buying a good case and it bounce around inside....first thing to check and ask!! MM Stan

Top Bottom