Different ukes for different songs?

Do you use particular ukes for particular songs?

• Yep, different ukes have different voices and are to be used for different songs.

Votes: 24 51.1%
  • Nope, I pick a favorite uke and play that for everything, or I use only one uke per playing session.

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • I only swap ukes when I want a different tuning (low vs. high g) or size (soprano vs. tenor, etc.).

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • I only have one ukulele.

Votes: 7 14.9%

• Total voters

wickedwahine11

Reaction score
For those of you out there who are fellow UAS sufferers, I have a question for you...do you use different ukes for different songs? I don't just mean low g versus high g tuning. I mean you actually use one particular uke for one type of music. As an example, I always choose my KoAloha Pineapple Sunday for anything from Tin Pan Alley or jazzy ("Night and Day," etc.), and most Hawaiian songs. I prefer my Kamaka on a lot of ballads and rock songs, or 60s stuff.

The high pitched voice of the Pineapple Sunday just seems to suit some songs ("Slow Boat to China," "Five Foot Two,") better, but the more mellow Kamaka voice seems more appropriate on other songs ("California Dreaming," etc.) It doesn't seem to make much difference on individually picked notes, just strums.

Am I the only one out there who swaps ukes in mid playing session for individual songs for a reason other than low g or high g tuning...for the reason that a particular uke's voice seems more suited?

So far, I change ukes to change tuning from high G to low G songs. Other than that, I guess I haven't been playing long enough to have a favorite uke for certain songs. I tend to vary my uke choices just for the sake of variety right now. It will take more time and more songs to develop a strong preference.

–Lori

I voted for #2, which is the way I play most of the time.

I could have voted for #3, however, I do this so infrequently, it could skew the results.

Every once in awhile I will try a song on a different ukulele. Some ukuleles do seem better suited than others for certain songs.

I seem to play the same songs on all of my ukes, so I couldn't quite find a description from the poll that fits my playing habits.

If I'm going to be playing chord voicings on the upper frets, I'm more likely to grab my tenor because it's less "plinky." Unless, of course, I'm in the mood for "plinky." Otherwise, it all depends on what's strung high or low G at the moment (currently all my ukes are high G).

Top Bottom