I have a gig!

SamWise

Reaction score
A friend of mine is involved in a little local festival, Environmental Rock, which takes place in a local live music venue. He pestered the apparently rather world weary and skeptical promoter to check out my Youtube, and he's apparently now very excited about having me perform! This was a total surprise to me - Si had not told me he was pushing me; a nice surprise I must say! I have til May 8th to prepare, but it's been a LONG time since I did a gig. I guess I'll have about 30 mins, and I plan to do a mix of fun uke covers and my originals. Those who watch my stuff, any recommendations? Bear in mind it'll be solo uke and vocals, so not the ones with complicated arrangements please!

It's about time you get recognized, Sam. We go back a few years and I've surely enjoyed your music. My recommendation is to have about an hour and a half worth of music (about 25 to 30 songs) ready, along with a large songbook with other tunes. Having played dozens of events on the uke, I've found that the audiences widely vary on their expectations. Be prepared for anything. 30 minutes will be easy, if you've prepared for much more. Ric

It's about time you get recognized, Sam. We go back a few years and I've surely enjoyed your music. My recommendation is to have about an hour and a half worth of music (about 25 to 30 songs) ready, along with a large songbook with other tunes. Having played dozens of events on the uke, I've found that the audiences widely vary on their expectations. Be prepared for anything. 30 minutes will be easy, if you've prepared for much more. Ric

x2. I have yet to do any uke-only shows but I always read the crowd when I'm out with the guitar.

And congrats!

I'm not going uke only, that's for sure! Some guitar, some uke, gonna get my friend Gary to join on guitar for a couple and bass for one, and my friend Pav on djembe for those too. I don't think there's any chance of preparing 90 mins of quality (I work around 60-70 hour week, plus writing for magazines), but I have a fair idea who the crowd will be, so I'm gonna prepare a storming 30 mins.

I'll absolutely video it, for sure!

Congrats on the gig, Sam! :)

Congrats on the gig. 30 minutes of wall-to-wall music is my recommendation with a minimum of talk, just enough talk to make a connection...

How many songs are you going to do?

Sam
How about coming to the Ukulele Mini-Fest on Sunday 18th April 2010 in Newbury (not too far from you) to do a couple of songs in the open-mic session to get yourself in training?

John

Details at: http://www.largerthanlifeuk.com/uke-fest/home.php

That's a nice idea! I may do that. @Mike Todd; the trouble with Jackie Wilson Says is that it kinda relies on the arrangement. It might sound a bit naked on just uke and vocals.

Great news Sam! Like so many others on the net, I'm a big fan of your covers and your originals. I kinda like Lately, thats not too moody for a gig I dont think (tho I've never performed lol!). And also Windows of the World is one of my faves from your channel. Iknow they're both on guitar, but I rate em. I think your Wish i Was More Like Julia Nunes is good for a novelty song too. My 8yr old daughter likes when I play Please Dont Leave Me by Pink, if you're after screaming females ;-P

I might do Lately, for sure (there'll be plenty of guitar). I'm not sure I'm brave enough to try to sell people American Music Club, although shame on me for thinking that, maybe I will. Wish I Was More Like Julia Nunes, however, is just too Youtube Ukulele specific, I don't think it'll mean anything to the average man in the pub, plus I don't think I can moon whilst playing! Nice that someone knows my stuff well!

LOL, I'm not a stalker honest! Although, I was down your way on business a fortnight ago...........Great work on yer new song For Free btw, its ace. Not a stalker, no, not a stalker.....

Hey, I WANT people to be watching my vids and knowing them well! If you get down this way again, give me a shout and we'll have a pint.

Yay! Congrats on the gig! I'm definitely looking forward to some video from it! :D

Ooh, an Asheville girl? I have friends who live just outside in Fairview. I love love love it up there.

will do mate, prob Sept if all goes well. Stayed in Southsea in a Premier lodge, so walls were paper thin :-( no chance of playing lol!

Top Bottom