Darkwater, Haolejohn, DeG, JoeUke, Sweetwaterblue rule the Starbucks

Loved it! Nice to see my buddies too.

To say that darkwater has a powerful voice is an understatement. However, the thing that impressed me most about last nights meeting was the amount of Koa there. Surely it had to be the most Koa in one place that Hiram, Ga has ever seen. What with Haolejohn and his wife's impressive collection, and then a couple there from darkwater and DeG, not to mention specialmikes beautiful new Kala solid koa. I know I counted at least 8 koas.

I must confess that I never really thought that the Koalohas were that loud. My only previous exposure to them was Haolejohn usually quietly strumming his in the corner, perhaps to not over power the rest of us. Last night, several of the Koalohas were Scepters and concerts. With them all playing together, and not holding back, you would have thought there was an amp hidden somewhere. My poor little mahogany soprano was very afraid lol. I went back and watched a video of Papa Koaloha explaining his inspiration for the Scepter, and showing how loudly he could play it. It has a tremendous dynamic range - meaning it can be played very softly, but when you want to, it can really blast out the sound too. Very impressive.

http://vimeo.com/2492869

Geeze, I thought I was pretty much over the koa UAS, but I admit last night gave me a bad case of it. Thanks for posting that vid mike.

Last edited:
Top Bottom