Englemann spruce tops from LMI

wheelgunner

Reaction score
Just in case anyone is interested LMI has AA grade Englemann spruce small instrument tops for $6.05 each, $5.40 each if you buy 3 or more. They measure 21"X 5"X 3/16" for two book matched pieces. I just recieved two sets I ordered recently and they are really nice clean tops. They aren't perfectly quarter-sawn (maybe 10-15 degrees off) but still nice for the money. Especially since the style I build I can make two tops out of each one. They also had AA grade Redwood same size for $14.05. I know you pros probably won't be interested but some of the other hobby builders might.
WWW.LMII.com

I've actually been looking for Englemann for a while. My last supplier retired early, due to deforestation and pine beetle infestation in his logging grounds. He had some really nice wedges at the best price I've ever seen and I only have a few left. I've been using Sitka in the meantime, until I can find a new source. LMI is a little pricey, but I don't build spruce tops in a lot of volume. I'll stock up on sets now, before they run out, too.

Thanks for the info!

Last edited:
Isn't 3/16" very thick for a Uke? I just measured one of mine and it was less than 1/8" thick, so do you have to sand the thickness down on these for Ukuleles?

Isn't 3/16" very thick for a Uke? I just measured one of mine and it was less than 1/8" thick, so do you have to sand the thickness down on these for Ukuleles?
Yes, you will need to sand down to thickness. Having them at 3/16" allows you to make them whatever thickness you need for your particular application.

Paul, glad the info was helpful.

I'll have to look into that: I've been buying dreadnought tops and getting two one piece uke tops out of each set, or up to four CBU tops, depending on the size of the CB.

I'll have to look into that: I've been buying dreadnought tops and getting two one piece uke tops out of each set, or up to four CBU tops, depending on the size of the CB.
I've done the same, Matt. With the boat-shaped ukes I'm making I can get 4 tops from a dreadnought top but that can still put me at nearly $10 per top especially when you add in the shipping. LMI's domestic shipping is about $8.50 or so and figuring in the quantity discount these small instrument tops are quite a bit cheaper. They also have AAA grade tops but the AA are good enough for what I do.

Yes, you will need to sand down to thickness. Having them at 3/16" allows you to make them whatever thickness you need for your particular application.

I don't have a thickness sander. I want to build a nice cigar box Uke, and would like to replace the back of the box with spruce and of course, use it for the top of the Uke. I suspect that a spruce top would sound better than the cedar on the box. I wonder if I could sand the existing back of the box, without taking it apart and would that help the tone/volume?

Orbital sander will do the job without breaking the bank or your sanding arm. It's doubtful that your cigar box bottom is solid cedar, so sanding it thinner is problematic. Look at the edge of the bottom--does it look like a sandwich, with darker outer layers and a lighter core? Should be replaced with either cedar or spruce, or a myriad of other woods, but those are the mainstays. Neither sounds "better" than the other. They sound different, is all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom