Another Free Beginners Booklet

Uncle Rod Higuchi

Reaction score
Thanks for these! Please explain how to use the Transposing Chart in the first booklet.
--G

Uncle Rod,

Thanks so much for both of these books. The "How to learn to play a new song" book was a tremendous help to me and allowed me to make a lot more progress than I was before. I have just downloaded your Ukulele Bootcamp and will begin incorporating this into my practice sessions.

Thanks again!

- Jack

Read the transposing chart by selecting the original key column and the target key column.

If the song is in the key of C and uses the chords C, F, G7, Am, and D7, you will notice that
in the key of F column, the matching chords (horizontally) are C = F, F = Bb, G7 = C7, Am = Dm,
and D7 = G7.

The same applies to any of the other keys. What would C, F, G7 be in the key of A?
(A, D, E7). In the key of G? (G, C, D7). In the key of D? (D, G, A7).

Do you see that?

Another way is to number the horizontal rows 1 to 12.

All the chords in row 1 are the key chords. That is, the name of the key matches the name of the chord
in row 1.

Look at rows 6 and 8.

C = row 1, F = row 6, G7 = row 8.
A = row 1, D = row 6, E7 = row 8.
G = row 1, C = row 6, D7 = row 8.
D = row 1, G = row 6, A7 = row 8.

I hope this makes sense.

Last edited:
Hey Jack, thanks for your encouraging appreciation.

If the 'method' really helped you, please share it with other 'beginners'. I really
believe that if more people postponed their attempts to start out by playing
songs, and instead invested just a few hours or perhaps days in learning basic
chords and practicing changing from chord to chord, well, they'd make much
more progress and more enjoyably as well.

Keep uke-in'

Last edited:
I will provide copies to the two strumming groups that tolerate me at our next session. Thanks again.

Mahalo Uncle you da bestes', I going send this to my kid sis who moved to Florida and inherited my Dad's last 'ukulele that I got for him before he passed away.

Ahnko, if you're ever in Seattle, esp on the 2nd Sat of the month, there's an informal kanikapila at a local restaurant,
Kona Kitchen, from 9 to noon. Good food and great Hawaiian Music Jam by local Hawaiian musicians.

Also, Seattle Ukulele Players Association (SUPA) meets on the 1st Sunday of the month in various locations. We may
be moving to the 2nd Sunday. Check it out on seattleukulele.org.

Mahalo,

Tanks, Uncle Rod!

Top Bottom